PDA

View Full Version : Plug Builders

PlugROCKSTAR
07-28-2005, 11:00 AM
Do we have any Sniffer members that builds plugs? Top Water wooden plugs that is.

tomaurand
07-28-2005, 11:50 AM
Not yet, but thinking about getting Shan a wood lathe as I know she could do it well. *Heck, that 60,000 for art school has to be use some how right?

h00kie
07-28-2005, 02:26 PM
Knowing how to make 'em would definitely be a plus. Catching 'em on your own lure would definitely add to the pride of landing a hog.
Do you guys know what type of wood wold work best? I mean it can't be as simple as cutting up the broom handle cant it?

PlugROCKSTAR
07-28-2005, 02:29 PM
Not yet, but thinking about getting Shan a wood lathe as I know she could do it well. *Heck, that 60,000 for art school has to be use some how right?

well hurry up and tell her to git er done.

hookie most of the plug builders uses cedar, my plug builder in Rhode Island uses Teak.

tomaurand
07-28-2005, 03:12 PM
Ceder casts better ;D

wading2fish
07-28-2005, 03:36 PM
Cedar casts better and has better bouyancy than most other woods. Mr. Gibbs started making his plugs out of broom handles!

w2f

ratss427
07-28-2005, 06:45 PM
drilled in dowels of lead ,placed properly, can really help for long casts.without buoyancy loss. ;)

ghostfish_slayer
07-28-2005, 07:03 PM
i want to buy a lathe just to turn custom wood or cork rod handles.i was looking at the craftsman ones for 299.00 but it will only do 12 inch.i need one that will do up 14 inch.i could always turn some wood for plugs also.i wouldn't need very many,i don't really have the desire to build any plugs.just rods..

PlugROCKSTAR
07-28-2005, 07:18 PM
i don't really have the desire to build any plugs.just rods..

nothing ventured, nothing gained ;D

ghostfish_slayer
07-28-2005, 07:26 PM
yeah i know,,but building rods and fishing take up most of my time..

put_em_back
07-28-2005, 08:51 PM
SOL has a forum on plug building as does stripedbass.com and it seems a lot of guys are using AYC (Alaskan Yellow Cedar).

They also talk about a few different cheap lathes, around $100, and the required tools to turn and sharpen. It doesn't sound like it would cost too much to get into it. I was thinking about having someone I know turn a bunch of plug bodies for me and I would seal and paint them. I've got the air brush...just have to learn to use it.

It sounds like a lot of fun. Maybe too much fun because I could easily see getting totally hooked on making plugs to fish with. I already tie flies and make some of my own rods, depending on time, and its a blast catching fish on stuff that you made. Best yet, you make them how YOU want them...no compromise as to what you want.

Fresh_Toro
07-31-2005, 02:29 PM
What would one pay for a quality handcrafted plug ? I have made many a light weight bass wood plug for fly fishing in Baja , a heavy cedar or such wouldnt be a streach, can do nice air brush and resin finishes , flashabou ,and such , have a Cabelas tackle craft catalog and lots of free time . We have the technology.

MB_Kevin
08-02-2005, 10:17 PM
my dad has a shop and makes all kinds of wood stuff. he was looking at the plugs I have and thinking. Let me know the best plug for him to start on and I bet he will make a bunch. I will send him a sample and I now know the wood for him to use. Just a thought. He makes alot off stuff that dont sell too. so If these dont work it wont matter too much I dont think. ;)

Rusty_Hooks
08-02-2005, 10:32 PM
If you can find good tight grained spruce...the weight is as even as yellow cedar and the bouyancy is about the same..

It works about the same on the lathe...and its a bit cheaper...both hold finishes well too.

They both steam well if you want to try a bend.

If you want a little more weight on the same size lure....Honduras mahogany works easily, finishes well and has about half again as much weight as the other two.

You just need to fill the open grain...

Nathan
08-04-2005, 11:20 AM
Hey Guys,
Been building lures for years...I'm getting ready too release the 3rd in the series of my "Real Fish" line in september...and it is the shad.
Check out www.Bettencourtbaits.com
If you want too see the Shad,click on the forum page at my addi. and look under "Whats new"..Nathan

Rusty_Hooks
08-04-2005, 12:25 PM
Hey Nathan...thanks for the link to your site...

That's an interesting shad pattern....realistic!!

pappy
08-05-2005, 09:38 PM
Hi guys, well since Ive written for the sniffer for awhile now I figure I'd say a few words here and there. First, thanks to everyone that has emailed me, I'm glad you enjoy the stories/reports. Plug builders huh. Well, there are alot of them out there, some are great, others are junk. I've built a few in my day and it's alot of fun. I havn't caught much, hmm, anything for that matter, on my home made lures but it's a blast to try. As you've probably read in my reports there two plugs that I recognize as among the best in the industry when it comes to hand made lures. One is the Ol' Henry which you can't find unless you make it to Laker Plaza down here in Vegas. The other is of course the Assassin by Bettencourtbaits. Nathan posted a message here as well so I thought Id give him a thumbs up. Guys, and girls, Nathan builds lures that will blow you away. The craftsmanship, quality and detail he puts into these products are extrodinary. I've been using them for years and they do catch some huge Stripers and bucketmouths. I still use the very first Assassin he's sent me and though its worn from abuse on my part, (it's hard to see the cliffs at midnight, it still works as great as ever. I do alot of field testing and I told Nathan three years ago that this lure was going to make him or break him. I'm still using it today and I fish it hard nearly every weekend. Granted, it has lost it's luster but believe me when I tell you Ive beaten the hell out of it. It did loose some paint because Ive cracked the outer shell but thats going to happen when it hits a cliff and bounces off a few rocks. Believe it or not that lure, or any of the other Assassins in my arsenal have never split apart. According to Nathan it has to do with the wood used and the care that goes into the product. okay, I've sounded enough like a infomercial. Folks, by all means get some wood and build a few of your own lures, if nothing else your going to have alot of fun doing it and if it does catch a fish what a rush it will be. If your lure doesn't catch a fish and you are in the market for some, then by all means check out Nathans website. He has a huge variety of lures and adds more all the time. By the way, you have to check out the Assassins Blade. What a beauty that one is, and such a cool name if I do say so myself. Wonder who named it? Hmmm, he must have been a genious. Thanks for letting me bend your ear and again thanks for all of the emails. If I dont answer yours right away please be patient, I do get to all of them eventually. By the way, when your building that lure, get a chunk of wood for your kid. Let him build one as well, like Pop like son I always say. But, let HIM, or HER build it, paint it and do what ever they want to it, it's his lure so keep your hands off unless they ask for help. Don't try to make it "better". Okay, you can put the hooks on for him if he's a young pup, but thats it. Until next time, keep the lines wet.
Ken "Pappy" Marlow

MB_Kevin
08-05-2005, 10:02 PM
Hey welcome to the boards. I guess you write for the sniffer so I'm sure this will be great for you. Look forward to seeing more posts from you. and good info in this one ;)

Sportyguy66
10-16-2007, 08:13 PM
Do we have any Sniffer members that builds plugs? Top Water wooden plugs that is.

I know a really really good Top water plug builder but I can't divulge that information here ;)

metalmouth
10-17-2007, 03:37 PM

I know a really really good Top water plug builder but I can't divulge that information here * ;)

Joe,
I'll be running your wood this weekend at Flaming Gorge!!

Hope to have some pics.

MM/Don

Sportyguy66
10-17-2007, 05:03 PM

I know a really really good Top water plug builder but I can't divulge that information here * ;)

Joe,
I'll be running your wood this weekend at Flaming Gorge!!

Hope to have some pics.

MM/Don

Don
I Hope they work for you My friend. Looking forward to getting some input on how they swim down low Can't wait to here your report.

Thanks
Joe