PDA

View Full Version : how old is a 10,20,30,40 pound striper?

striper_assasin
08-31-2005, 10:33 AM
just curious how fast stripers grow.

PlugROCKSTAR
08-31-2005, 10:35 AM
just curious how fast stripers grow.

http://stripersonline.com/Pages/weight_length/

hope this answers your question.

striper_assasin
08-31-2005, 11:05 AM
i didnt see anything about the size=age?

tomaurand
08-31-2005, 11:23 AM
Google can be your friend:

http://www.stripers247.com/Lengthtoweight.html

striper_assasin
08-31-2005, 11:35 AM
thank you tomaurand.so with the thousandS of small stripers we have in the systems,in o say about 13 yrs. we should have a ton of big stripers out there!

tomaurand
08-31-2005, 11:49 AM
Sure, as long as they are not all harvested and there is enough food in the system to support that many fish. I doubt it. it has already been shown that the breeder fish numbers are in decline. Add to this the loss of phytoplankton and plankton for the bait fish to feed on, it will only get worse.
That is why you see many people really advocating CPR Catch-Picture-Release. This is the only way to insure a healthy population for the next gerations.
I am not saying don't kill a fish for the table as that is all good but, don't kill em every weekend by the "limits".

Tom

PlugROCKSTAR
08-31-2005, 03:11 PM
harvesters are all over the beaches of San Francisco, Pacifica, Half Moon Bay.

Who gives a rats @$$ if your driving from no mans land to fish the surf. it doesn't give you the right to Poach >:( I've seen it once and will report it next time i see it. >:(

striper_assasin
08-31-2005, 03:29 PM
poaching?this thread was about the growth speed of stripers.

tomaurand
08-31-2005, 03:54 PM
poaching?this thread was about the *growth speed of stripers.

Very true, but, 916 still has a point. if we want fishing to be the way it was many years ago, poaching has a direct impact.

If the small fish can't eat because food is unavailable and people ar epoaching small fish or large numbers of fish, the growth rate is directly effected. No large hens to spawn, no babies.

PlugROCKSTAR
08-31-2005, 04:25 PM
Very true, but, 916 still has a point. *if we want fishing to be the way it was many years ago, poaching has a direct impact.

If the small fish can't eat because food is unavailable and people ar epoaching small fish or large numbers of fish, the growth rate is directly effected. *No large hens to spawn, no babies.

my point exactly. thanks Tom. ;)

striper_assasin
08-31-2005, 04:38 PM
i miss understood,i cant believe people would even try to keep undersize fish,there is no meat on them.and by harvesting are you guys talking about commercial nets?never surf fished or fished in the bay.so ive never seen these harvesters you both mentioned.

PlugROCKSTAR
08-31-2005, 04:43 PM
i miss understood,i cant believe people would even try to keep undersize fish,there is no meat on them.and by harvesting are you guys talking about commercial nets?never surf fished or fished in the bay.so ive never seen these harvesters you both mentioned.

We call them Harvesters because they fish 2-5 days in a row and keep their limits 2-5days in a row >:( >:(.. that my friend is straight up HARVESTING. :o

PlugROCKSTAR
08-31-2005, 05:15 PM
I want to get in to this and say something...........But I just don't know where to start..first off you guys know I'm catch and release...the last time I jumped in to a conversation like this some of the people I used to fish with won't even talk to anymore(but they do talk *behind my back ;))but that is not a big loss, after fishing the surf this year and doing research and reading about the Striper and how they got here,and how they migrate to and from the ocean, I have developed a Keen interest in the species, and we need to do something now so we can fish them tomorrow.

Double_D, sorry to say but those people were never your friends. You've met enough fishing buddies here on this board so say sayonara to those so called friends of yours. Hey if you pay your due's maybe you can fish with Tom,Tami Shan and I ;D :P

Double_D
08-31-2005, 05:24 PM
anyway..how old is a twenty pound striper?

PlugROCKSTAR
08-31-2005, 05:31 PM
anyway..how old is a twenty pound striper?

9-10years old WHY? yea got one? ;D

Double_D
08-31-2005, 05:42 PM
nope..only thing in my ice box are 50/50 bars and 10lb. of ball tip. ;)

Double_D
08-31-2005, 05:45 PM
OK..now can anyone tell me if there is a taste difference between a small Striper(legal size) and a larger one?

h00kie
08-31-2005, 09:09 PM

Who gives a rats @$$ if your driving from no mans land to fish the surf. it doesn't give you the right to Poach >:( *I've seen it once and will report it next time i see it. >:(
Sorry to break it to you but harvesters are all over the place, even in your neck of the woods. If you catch, hunt or take then you are by definition a harvester. Easily distinguisable from a poacher who takes fish illegally.

You are entitled to your opinion and you are free to express it but please refrain from placing everyone that fishes the beaches of San Francisco, Pacifica and Halfmoon Bay in the same boat as those that choose to poach. People who reads this and other threads that ends up with such discussion are misinformed by the statement that you are making. There are more people with care and concerns for our fisheries than you choose to believe. I urge that if you know the person or know of someone with contact to the individual that you speak of, then by all means make your point accross to them. Threatening someone that may or may not read this thread really does not do anything :-/

PlugROCKSTAR
08-31-2005, 09:36 PM
sorry hookie but i'm not going to refrain anything i said. I didn't say that all surfcasters that fishes the location mentioned was a harvester. It's that one bad apple in the group or maybe more. I've heard stories from people i've fished with, i'm not going to mention any names. nuff said.

Save_Our_Stripers
09-02-2005, 03:01 PM
It's been awile since I printed off the following information, therefore, I cannot provide the reference where this data orginates.

I will provide a few stats, of many, from the chart I reference:

Length Weight Age
20" 3.75 3.5 years Barely legal size fish.
24" 6.00 6.0 years
30" 11.00 8.0 years
36" 18.00 11.0 years
40" 25.50 14.0 years
48" 42.00 20.0+ years

I don't have the DFG recommendations with regards to limiting human consumption of striped bass to once a month.

By studying this chart, you can see why there is a much needed slot limit, all the time. A slot limit will help protect prime spawn fish. As long as the FEDs keep the local striper enhancement programs tied up, it's up to the fisherman to do the work. And, lets face it, the pumps are not stopping anytime soon.

Since 1995, the "abundance index" taken by DFG each year of young striped bass has had one year at 5.5, another at 3.4, and the remaining 8 years at 1.5 or less. The past two years were at .8 and .9 respectively. To put things into perspective, the index was 117 in 1965 and 63 in 1975. Since 1975 or the past 30 years, there have been only 6 years above 20 with most years below 5.

Those that remember the striper fishery decades ago remember the striper fishing was good from Monterey to Sacramento, AT THE SAME TIME, not just, for example, a little stretch of beach in June/July. The numbers are so small that we are now all fishing (following) the SAME fish, just in different locations and different times of the year. With minor 'harvesting', "takers", and 'poachers' abound, the main school(s) get reduced throughout the year, without a break.

Again, I've always been okay with fisherman fishing within the laws and limits. However, attitudes need to change voluntarily. You know, just because it isn't against the law to sneeze in someone's face on purpose, you still don't do it!

dimpala95
09-02-2005, 10:26 PM
Double D, It has been my experience that the larger the fish the more tasteless it becomes. I think the ones around 18-22" taste the best. I would never even think of keeping a fish over 15#.

ghostfish_slayer
09-02-2005, 10:48 PM
what about the 60 lb fish that may not live another year to spawn and if you are so lucky to have one bite your offering.then even more lucky for it to let you land it.maybe it was meant to be on the wall because a fish of a lifetime only comes once in a lifetime.living things can only live so long before they die.

dimpala95
09-03-2005, 09:17 PM
what about the 60 lb fish that may not live another year to spawn and if you are so lucky to have one bite your offering.then even more lucky for it to let you land it.maybe it was meant to be on the wall because a fish of a lifetime only comes once in a lifetime.living things can only live so long before they die.

With fish and current taxidermy methods, it still does not make sense to keep a breeder. A few quick pictures and measurements then release that hen. Most of the big trophy size fish, 40+ are hens.

ghostfish_slayer
09-03-2005, 09:43 PM
did you say bleed her? or breeder? you have to toss up the options on a fish of that size.it may never breed again due to it's age.i highly feel a fish of that size only gets caught because it is it's time to go.it has elluded the angler for so many years broken so many lines maybe even rods.it is a gift from the man above to have the chance of landing a fish of that size.then you have a split second to make the decision.not after landing it,handeling it, weighing it,measureing it and taking a picture.what if you let it go then it goes belly up and a seal gets it or somthing like that.i would be happy to let one go that size.i also would be happy to look up at the real thing every night before i go to bed and every morning when i wake up.even if it haunted me for the rest of my life.oh, btw i had 6 exploders and 1 come off today.

godson
09-04-2005, 05:32 AM

Who gives a rats @$$ if your driving from no mans land to fish the surf. it doesn't give you the right to Poach >:( *I've seen it once and will report it next time i see it. >:(
Just to add some thing with Hookie's respose, There is another intelligent way to approach individuals on how to save the Striper population instead just calling them poachers!!!

dimpala95
09-04-2005, 07:01 AM
did you say bleed her? or breeder? you have to toss up the options on a fish of that size.it may never breed again due to it's age.i highly feel a fish of that size only gets caught because it is it's time to go.it has elluded the angler for so many years broken so many lines maybe even rods.it is a gift from the man above to have the chance of landing a fish of that size.then you have a split second to make the decision.not after landing it,handeling it, weighing it,measureing it and taking a picture.what if you let it go then it goes belly up and a seal gets it or somthing like that.i would be happy to let one go that size.i also would be happy to look up at the real thing every night before i go to bed and every morning when i wake up.even if it haunted me for the rest of my life.oh, btw i had 6 exploders and 1 come off today.

Ghostfish, I didn't know you were into Fords(6 exploders). ;)

donzitroller
09-04-2005, 09:03 AM
There are a few things here that are heading off topic in a direction that I'm not comfortable with. While I don't mind the occasional hijack or two (I'm guilty of doing it myself).. I have to step in here and remind everyone to play nice, as I've received a few messages expressing concern over the topics of digression in this thread. I'll just leave it at that, in hopes that this will calm things down. If not, I'll have to do things that I don't like to do.. ::) Thanks all and have a great day!

FISH ON!

ghostfish_slayer
09-04-2005, 09:35 PM
ok donzi..