PDA

View Full Version : sea lion experience

jetcraft18
08-18-2005, 07:14 AM
Mark Wilson and i were fishing the sac river last year and was doing great when out of nowhere a sea lion started following us and when we would pick up a fish it would grab it.This went on for at least 20 mins.We had to leave the area because of this so my advice if there is a sea lion in your area,get out of there.

wading2fish
08-18-2005, 08:00 AM
I stopped fishing for salmon with trolley set ups off of Fort Point pier in SF a long time ago. There would always be a sea lion parked just beneath the pier stealing everybody's catch. This thing was literally getting fat off of fishermen's catches. Now everytime I see a sealion, whether it be in the surf or a river I take off.

w2f

Sardine
08-18-2005, 06:22 PM
Why don't you just put on a big 3 pronged hook & snag their butts? If you don't give them a reason to avoid you, because you feed them, their going to dog you butts forever.

put_em_back
08-18-2005, 06:33 PM
I saw my a very well behaved sea lion on the beach yesterday. He didn't even move. From what I could tell, I bet he still isn't moving. Not that I would go out and kill one, but I sure didn't shed any tears after loosing salmon to them furbags in Monterey Bay.

I was even thinking about putting my Gibbs pencil popper in its mouth and snapping a picture....but who knows what would have happened to the picture. The SPCA might have been knocking on my door.

I learned the same thing. See a sea lion and move out. Usually they will stay with the fleet so you have to move away and find a different school of fish.

Mayhem
08-21-2005, 12:00 PM
Paintball gun!

It works on dogs it will probably work well on sea lions.
You can't shoot sea lions and using rubber bullets will draw attention becuase people will hear it and think your shooting real bullets and killing sea lions. Air guns are to week and the projectile is to small. So I'm thinking paintball gun.

innovate
08-21-2005, 12:39 PM
I was even thinking about putting my Gibbs pencil popper in its mouth and snapping a picture....but who knows what would have happened to the picture. The SPCA might have been knocking on my door.

I think you would have to worry more about PETA than anything else. We all LOVE PETA ;)

Collegebound
08-21-2005, 09:20 PM
Is it true that furbags are attracted to the signals that fishfinders send out? A party boat captain told me that. anyone care to elaborate?

Is PETA (mayb it was some other group) still doing that billboard ad that has a dog with a hook in its mouth, saying something like "if you wouldn't do it to a dog, why would you do it to a fish" somthing like that
mike