PDA

View Full Version : Bait Fishing In Surf

Los_Banos_209
08-15-2005, 08:20 AM
Question , I will be going out again this weekend and need some 411 on how to set up for bait fishing from the surf? Threw lures out the last two trips and nothing while I've seen three nice fish 20+ lbs come off of bait last Sat so now im going to try bait but just need the 411 on the set up. I've got to say myself usauly fish bait except for when the fish are boiling over. And them ocean stripers sure do look better than most Iv'e caught at San Louie.

;D

h00kie
08-15-2005, 08:28 AM
LB209,
Most Baitfishermen I see out there use fresh dead anchovies on high low rigs. There are those however that uses sand crabs. Don't have much experience baitfishing the surf so maybe someone else can chime in.

gl,
h00kie

BTW, San Louie Stripers ain't got nothing on Surf Stripers. That I agree with you 100%.

Double_D
08-15-2005, 08:33 AM
I once new a stripper form San Louie, he hair was Golden brown and she had the biggest.....opps sorry guys wrong thread. ;)

dimpala95
08-15-2005, 08:37 AM
You nailed it h00kie.

FishinFool408
08-15-2005, 11:05 AM
I once new a stripper form San Louie, he hair was Golden brown and she had the biggest.....opps sorry guys wrong thread. ;)
You met her too DD? ;D

dimpala95
08-15-2005, 12:20 PM
Hijackers! ;) ;D

FishinFool408
08-15-2005, 12:23 PM
No kidding! DD, how could you?!! ;D

ken_fishnfool
08-15-2005, 01:53 PM
Don't forget shrimp, big ones (with the head still on) are a very good bait for surf stripers!

Los_Banos_209
08-15-2005, 02:05 PM
Thanks for the input, I seen one guy with a 6 oz pyrmid sinker tied to his main line and then his leader tied to the bottom end of the sinker, this was a first I ever seen but it worked for him. Moss Landing is where they were hitting Sat so im going to give it a shot one more time before I start concentratting on San Loiue or Antioch.

panfish_popper
08-15-2005, 02:15 PM
Alot of you may disagree, but I had luck with Squid! But I would go with Anchovies ;)

wading2fish
08-15-2005, 02:56 PM
All that works for stripers. Squid, anchovies, grass shrimp, ghost shrimp, store bought shrimp, sardines, herring, sand crabs, and don't forget pile worms, stripers love pile worms. If I was going to baitfish for stripers in the surf I would probably take two baits with me. First choice would be pile worms and I would also take sardines. Anchovies are good but sardines leave a much heavier scent trail. I would go with a hi-lo bait rig with 6/0 Gamakatsu hooks and at least 4 oz weight.

w2f

Double_D
08-15-2005, 03:38 PM
Only bait I like to use is WOOD! ;D the smell won't get on your hands, and WOOD never goes bad, and you came leave it in your car on a hot day and it won't stink, and WOOD does not have pincher's. ;D

wading2fish
08-15-2005, 03:41 PM
wood is my favorite striper bait hands down. However, sometimes I just want to kick back, relax and soak bait, so I do baitfish for stripers in the surf once in awhile. 8)I guess that would make me a hillbilly surf bum ;D :P

w2f

Double_D
08-15-2005, 04:05 PM
you can call me a lumber chucking hill billy surf bum, that would be me to ;D

dimpala95
08-15-2005, 04:15 PM
I've never tried it before but I heard that a brown trout fillet with corn colored freckles works good too. :P

Double_D
08-15-2005, 04:19 PM
Dude you are so messed up in the head. ;D

Los_Banos_209
08-15-2005, 04:36 PM
you guys are to much ;D so anyone going out this weekend im already thinking about the weekend and its only Monday but when the weather has been hot in the triple digits last week here in Los Banos I head for the coast and its relaxing and cool now only if I can hook me up a nice fatty with no freakles it would make my trips even better, or who knows maybe a nice 2 legged pink snapper. I better watch it now im new and don't want to get kicked off this site. Hey any of you guys know where to get some good lumpias and pancet?

dimpala95
08-15-2005, 04:52 PM
It depends where you're going. If you're heading to Pacifica, there's a place in Pacifica called Kenkoy's. Good Filipino food.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?latlongtype=internal&addtohistory=&latitud e=5ZqlAeifRd0%3d&longitude=831T9YP%2f31FBilOZVAdTH A%3d%3d&name=Kenkoys%20Cafe%20%26%20Catering&count ry=US&address=713%20Hickey%20Blvd&city=Pacifica&st ate=CA&zipcode=94044&phone=650%2d355%2d8812&spurl= 0&searchtype=search&q=kenkoy%27s&cat=%28All%29%20R estaurants&qc=%28All%29%20Restaurants

wading2fish
08-15-2005, 05:28 PM
I've never tried it before but I heard that a brown trout fillet with corn colored freckles works good too. :P

;D ;D ;D that's funny but I gotta stop reading these boards while eating dinner.

w2f

recs1 JBF
08-15-2005, 07:57 PM
W2F, you can bring two poles with you to fish also. One to plug and the other to bait fish. A high low rig is prolly your best bet, but you can also use a sinker slider. Bring extra weight's too a 4oz sinker might not hold bottom when the surf is up. I have caught alot of striper's using anchovies and pile worms, depends on what the striper's are feeding on at that particular time.

Good Luck and post up that fishing report for us ;D ;D .

wading2fish
08-15-2005, 08:39 PM
Recs,
yeah I like to bring two poles all the time. This weekend I brought two poles to Rockaway, one for stripers and the other a 7' bass pole rigged up for perch with that carolina rig you posted up on the surf perch thread. I spent most of my time perching, got a few good nibbles and one hookup I landed, nothing to brag about, just a little 6" shiner. I posted a pic of it on that surf perch thread on the general saltwater board. I only spent a 1/2 hr plugging for stripers that day and got skunked on that.

w2f

MB_Kevin
08-15-2005, 08:49 PM
So what does a hi-low rig set up look like?? I have tried it before I met the mafia. I mean bait fishing the surf but no luck. It might have been the wrong time. I sometimes like to kick back and drink a few cold ones while fishing so bait would be good. I don't mind the smell or the pincher's. ;)....oh not on pacifica beaches of course I don't think it is legal :P
my neighbor is a cook and brings me some killer lumpias :)

wading2fish
08-16-2005, 01:14 AM
http://img287.imageshack.us/img287/2503/dsc000632pk8ap.jpg

MB,
Here is a pic of my homemade Hi-Lo bait rig. This is a good all around bait rig not just the surf. I have used it in the delta for cats. I attach the Gami hooks directly to the dropper loops. This prevents gut hooking fish and also prevents the hook and bait from getting tangled around the main leader line.

w2f

Los_Banos_209
08-16-2005, 07:15 AM
Right on pics are nice and clear yah I use that same set up over at san loiue. I was trying to post some pics of my recent catches but seem to run into problems when doing so. I click the image icon on the post reply page and all it does is put img text in the space and doesn't ask me to select pic hmmmmmmm. So Wading2fish when you headed out? and Master Baiter hook me up with them lumpias ;D there I go again thinking about food. fishing, food and food and fishing and food. Catch you all later need to get the honey do this and honey do that things out of the way if im going out this Sat.

wading2fish
08-16-2005, 07:27 AM
Saturday is out of the question for me. I will try to make it out again on Sunday.

w2f

dimpala95
08-16-2005, 10:12 AM
Los Banos 209, you have to host them on the net somewhere first. You can't post directly from your computer to this site. Send me the pics and I'll host and post them for you.

If you go to talk to the sniffer board, there are instructions on how to post pictures.

wading2fish
08-16-2005, 03:11 PM
LB 209,

Posting pics isn't as hard as it seems. At first I was having a really hard time with it also. But if you take the time to read the posts with instructions carefully it will begin to clarify for you. I think there is a post in general saltwater for posting pics, as well as on some other boards. Dimpala here was gracious enough to pm me on his own with some advice for resizing pics so they post right. That was the last hurdle I had to clear to properly post pics and his advice was very helpful, I appreciate it Dimpala. 8) The pic here of my Hi-Lo rig is a little big because I posted it before I got Dimpala's pm about the importance and how-to resizing pics.

wf2

MB_Kevin
08-16-2005, 08:02 PM
Thanks that helps and I might try it out some day. what size wait do you use. and do you cast it out and *leave it or do you try to let the current take it out further?
*Those sites on how to post pic are confusing to me so I find my own ways. you just have to get the pic on the web somewhere and then copy the URL and past it between the

I'm looking at a new way now but haven't tried it on here so I guess this is as good as anywhere to try it out :-/
http://images.kodakgallery.com/photos1324/1/42/71/8/50/4/450087142106_0_ALB.jpg

wading2fish
08-17-2005, 07:41 AM
weight size depends on water conditions. In the surf usually 4-6 maybe even 8 oz. in the bay I usually use 3-4 oz. I've even caught cats with this rig up in the Delta. Again, weight size depends on the current, usually 3-4 oz will work up in the Delta. You just throw it out and wait for bites, just like using a sliding sinker set up. When catfishing I keep the line nice and tight. When trying to catch stripers I keep the line tight also but adjust the drag to lightest position. I have not caught a striper yet with this rig but still trying.

w2f

MB_Kevin
08-17-2005, 07:28 PM
http://images.kodakgallery.com/photos1324/1/42/71/8/50/4/450087142106_0_ALB.jpg
I dont know what was up with that post up there I try to put this pic in and it wont take it :-/

I have used a simular setup in the bay and catfishing but never made a leader out of it just tied the hooks to the main line and then the wait to the end. Now to try it in the surf with a leader. :)

wading2fish
08-17-2005, 08:29 PM
MB,
your setup works too. I just like tying leaders when I have a few minutes to spare. I tie em with 50 lb test.

w2f

PlugROCKSTAR
08-17-2005, 08:50 PM
Only bait I like to use is WOOD! ;D the smell won't get on your hands, and WOOD never goes bad, and you came leave it in your car on a hot day and it won't stink, and WOOD does not have pincher's. ;D

WOOD, is whats for Dinner Tonight. ;D

Los_Banos_209
08-18-2005, 08:02 AM
ok this is just a test see if it works.C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Pictures\pacifica.jpg Anyways I'm all ready to get out there and catch the big one thats been waitting for me. Got my 13ft surf rod ready for bait fishing and my 10ft ready for plug casting all I need now if for everyone to verify they are going so I know how many tri tips I need. Just the basics tri tip italian sauges and hot links with some potato salad and some nice cold ones. Well lets see what happens sat, see if I come back with a record catch either way im sure it will all be good and fun. Maybe I will run into a pink snapper hmmmm that would be a good catch. ok catch you all later and lets see some quality fish posted for this weekend...

wading2fish
08-18-2005, 08:09 AM
your pic is not showing on my computer :-/. Before you click the post button you should click the preview button. If your pic doesn't show in preview you have done something wrong.

w2f

Los_Banos_209
08-18-2005, 08:12 AM
??? ??? going to have to try again im good with computers maybe just haven't spent the time with posting pics on the net.

FishinFool408
08-18-2005, 08:57 AM
Yeah, nice lookin' red 'X' you got there. ;D

PlugROCKSTAR
08-18-2005, 10:25 AM
??? ??? going to have to try again im good with computers maybe just haven't spent the time with posting pics on the net.

you need to host the picture 1st before you can post it. What you did wrong is you right clicked the picture from your Documents and posted it.