PDA

View Full Version : Eel Punt

PlugROCKSTAR
08-04-2005, 06:09 PM
Who else here uses it? I just ordered my Blurple one on SOL ;D quit hording all the good spot on the beach guys. Scoot over 916 got a new plug ;D ;D

http://www.stripersonline.net/cart/images/eel_punt_2.5oz_blacknpurple.jpg

wading2fish
08-04-2005, 06:30 PM
I have not used it, who makes it? Is that a single hook on the back or just a bucktail? Looks nice, dark colors like that work good at night, if you can find a beach at night.

w2f

PlugROCKSTAR
08-04-2005, 06:38 PM
I have not used it, who makes it? Is that a single hook on the back or just a bucktail? Looks nice, dark colors like that work good at night, if you can find a beach at night.

w2f

Eel Punt makes it, the rear is a Siwash with Bucktail.

Double_D
08-04-2005, 08:09 PM
Hay..w2f I hope we are there when 916 cast that plug and we here snap! and look over to see that plug sailing to China, I want to see the look on his face..916 you tackle ho! :D

krzyfshrmn
08-04-2005, 08:12 PM
Hey guys, check out some of the Musky sites if you want to find some new plugs. Muskyshop.com has a huge selection of topwater rigs. Poe's Giant Jackpot would probably work great in the surf. Maybe even the Hawg Wobbler. Used to be my favoreite for muskys ;)

PlugROCKSTAR
08-04-2005, 08:12 PM
Hay..w2f I hope we are there when 916 cast that plug and we here snap! and look over to see that plug sailing to China, I want to see the look on his face..916 you tackle ho! :D

Double_D you big meaner. WHY would you wanna see me loose that plug :'( gimme back my MAP :o

MB_Kevin
08-04-2005, 09:25 PM
I wouldn't like to see you loose it 916. but wouldn't mind finding one on the beach ;) *I don't think you will snap it off with that nice rod of yours. *before I got a decent rod and reel I was snapping off alot but now I just loose them if in the rocks or I mess up not my reel. I found a cool Pencil popper floating in the waves. I had to go way out to get it but I got it.
*Don't want to hear about it was yours ;D
*I have gone down at night once to check the rocks at low tide for lures. we found some but alot of the cool ones were jammed in tight. If I do it again i will bring a crow bar. :P
so how does it work dark colors at night and light ones durring the day ??? like red and white?

PlugROCKSTAR
08-04-2005, 09:34 PM
the Blurple color is Tom's favorite color :-X if works very well before daybreak. i haven't fished the Surf at night yet.

GT
08-04-2005, 10:55 PM
I fish the eel punt for the first time last week. No hits on it but then again I'm still learning to work it. I got the worderbread version. Do you like the action of the eel punt over the Fixter?

wading2fish
08-05-2005, 03:55 AM

;D ;D ;D Have your cameras ready!

wading2fish
08-05-2005, 03:57 AM
so how does it work dark colors at night and light ones durring the day like red and white?

MB,
Yes, I know it didn't make sense to me when I first found out, but dark colors work better at night and light/bright colors in daytime.

w2f

PlugROCKSTAR
08-05-2005, 05:55 AM
I fish the eel punt for the first time last week. *No hits on it but then again I'm still learning to work it. *I got the worderbread version. *Do you like the action of the eel punt over the Fixter?

I don't know GT. I've fished Fixter Poppers almost every outing and love em. Got new plugs coming from AfterHours and what can i say WOW WOW WOW WOW ;D

Double_D
08-05-2005, 05:34 PM
so how does it work dark colors at night and light ones durring the day *like red and white?

MB,
Yes, I know it didn't make sense to me when I first found out, but dark colors work better at night and light/bright colors in daytime.

w2f

w2f..I was always told dark water dark lure but have caught fish the other way also...so who knows? ???

wading2fish
08-05-2005, 07:34 PM
DD, Yeah I was told the same thing but I have had the same experience, I have caught fish vice versa, who knows what those crazy fish are thinking.

w2f

tomaurand
08-05-2005, 08:44 PM
Eel Punt makes it, the rear is a Siwash with Bucktail.

Actually the rear is just a bucktail no hook. Alot of guys will remove the belly hook and put it on the rear with the tail but I figure Eel Punt knows what the heck he is doing.
Shan and I have four, two burple (I hate that color ;) ) and two wonderbread. Have not really used them as when I fond myself at a place that looks good the wind is like 25 knotts and you really cant get a whole lot of distance in that situation.
As far as comparing it to a Fixter, different plugs, They run close to maybe a Fixter Pike but the Eel Punt is a swimmer, its just different.

wading2fish
08-05-2005, 09:33 PM
I thought I didn't see a hook on the rear, just a bucktail. I would put a third treble on the rear, with a bucktail.

tomaurand
08-08-2005, 06:25 AM
I thought I didn't see a hook on the rear, just a bucktail. I would put a third treble on the rear, with a bucktail.

I really think you would NOT want to put a hook on the rear. Like a Pike, the Eel Punt is made so that on a slow retreive the nose point down and the tail wiggles above the surface. this action drives the fish nutz. If you put a hook on the rear because of the shape of the lure you might kill the action.

Tom

ghostfish_slayer
08-08-2005, 08:16 AM
at first i thought you made up a new revised version of the donkey punch. he he

wading2fish
08-08-2005, 03:00 PM
I really think you would NOT want to put a hook on the rear. *Like a Pike, the Eel Punt is made so that on a slow retreive the nose point down and the tail wiggles above the surface. *this action drives the fish nutz. *If you put a hook on the rear because of the shape of the lure you might kill the action.

Tom

OK,
That makes sense. Like I said I have never used it before so I wasn't sure of the motion of the lure. I did think because of the lip that it was a shallow diver, but if the tail wiggles above the surface than a hook on the rear really doesn't make any sense.

w2f

fbanaria
08-08-2005, 09:01 PM
Ray,
FYI, they're still catching stripers off Noriega. Check the following URL:

http://www.pierfishing.com/msgboard/pfmb.mv?forum=&module=view&viewid=259483&mode=all& row=

Regards,
Fernando

PlugROCKSTAR
08-09-2005, 06:46 AM
Ray,
FYI, they're still catching stripers off Noriega. *Check the following URL:

http://www.pierfishing.com/msgboard/pfmb.mv?forum=&module=view&viewid=259483&mode=all& row=

Regards,
Fernando

i really don't understand your point of view on spot naming :-/

fbanaria
08-09-2005, 07:10 PM
So your name must be Ray then, 916?
;D

tomaurand
08-10-2005, 06:45 AM
I think 916Steelies, Ray's and my point of view on spot burning is this, there are over 4000 members of this board plus countless harvesting lurkers. PFIC has over 6000 members plus many many lurkers.
When you flame a spot many, many people crowd the area and create havoc. I used to post on PFIC but stopped for one reason (there are many others) as people would flame spots that I have fished for many many years.
These spots used to be nice, now when I visit, these places are loaded with garbage and people. The last time Shannon and I vistied one of these spots we didn't even fish but spent two solid hours picking up other peoples trash, used bait trays, fishing line etc.
This is only one reason why NOT to spot names.
Plus, given the fact that there is tons and tons of info on this forum alone that one can read and figure out were the fish are and the migration pattern and how to catch them.
No one held my hand and showed me were to fish. i spent many hours and blood, sweat and tears figuring this out. Will I help other people catch fish? Sure, ask 916. Will I give advice on how to plug, read water etc? Hell yeah. Will I tell a message board with 10,000 viewers exactly were the fish are? Hell no, as even if fish are in one spot thay are also in many many other spots at the same time.
Sorry to be long winded but this is a point that I feel should be addressed.
916, Dx2, If you don't agree with this let me know, if you would like to add to this, please feel free as I feel your input is valuable.

Tom

PlugROCKSTAR
08-10-2005, 07:09 AM
i'm with you 100 % on this Tom. I was never really a big fan of spot naming to begin with.

Double_D
08-10-2005, 07:18 AM
I to have seen the affects of spot naming and I was guilty of spot naming my self...but I have seen what happens and have learned a lot since I first started, yea the beach is huge but the holes where the fish hold are not...I was talking to a old timer about the surf he said twenty years ago you would get mad if you hooked into a 20lb. fish thirty and forty pound fish were the norm now we are lucky to get a twenty pound fish...surf fishing for Striper's is different than the way you fish them in the rivers, you put in so much time and work into guessing what and where they are, you have to learn to read the water, the sand will tell you if there is a hole, color of the surf will tell you if there is a hole, we put so much time and work into this, and the numbers of fish are declining,that is why we don't spot name at the surf..but like tomarand said if you want to know we will help you..now I'm only talking surf Striper's here Salmon is another thing everyone here knows I fish the rivers and BENICIA everyone knows that, and people were fishing BENICIA for before I was alive, but the surf is sacred the beach maybe three miles long buy the hole where the striper's hold is only 25 yards wide.

Double_D
08-10-2005, 07:24 AM
i really don't understand your point of view on spot naming :-/

916 he is a friend of mine he told me that was to be a PM sent to me but it got on the open fourms...fbanaria won't spot name, this was not to be posted..belive me this guy has so much knowledge of the surf I always pick his brain for info, in the passed he told me I gave up to much.

PlugROCKSTAR
08-10-2005, 07:32 AM
916 he is a friend of mine he told me that was to be a PM sent to me but it got on the open fourms...fbanaria won't spot name, this was not to be posted..belive me this guy has so much knowledge of the surf I always pick his brain for info, in the passed he told me I gave up to much.

very well. Thanks for the Clarification Double_D.

now stop hijacking my thread and get back to my Eel Punt. *I should have her in my hands either today or tomorrow. WWWOOOOHHHOOO.

Double_D
08-10-2005, 07:51 AM
I don't know what you are going to do with it. ???

PlugROCKSTAR
08-10-2005, 07:53 AM
I don't know what you are going to do with it. ???

i'm going to break my 22lbs Surf Record :o

tomaurand
08-10-2005, 09:39 AM
Probably, if what I think is correct this weekend ;D
Shannon and I are going to scout the area Thursday night to get a feel of the place. If its a bust I have a couple more tricks up my sleeve ;)