PDA

View Full Version : Casting net??

smithstation
08-05-2005, 12:59 PM
Anyone ever use a casting net in the delta to catch their own bait? Any other ideas to catch bait?

donzitroller
08-05-2005, 01:53 PM
Check the regs, there is a dividing line separating where you can and can't do it.. somewhere near the Antioch bridge I think.. I don't do it so am not for sure, though this topic has come up before. I'm sure someone else will chime in, though it sure would be sweet to net my own shad.. nothin beats fresh! FISH ON!

dimpala95
08-05-2005, 02:41 PM
I think the actual cut off is the Carquinez bridge. No cast nets above the bridge. I'll check my sources to make sure.

MB_Kevin
08-05-2005, 10:49 PM
Ive used them to catch bait. never have gotten any but have tried at the wrong times. I have seen many cought when I didnt have mine.
Not sure about the laws but should be fun. I think it is leagle here in the bay.

blue_chrush
08-06-2005, 08:05 PM
this is the regs from the freshwater dfg....

2.09. Possession of Illegal Gear.
Except as otherwise provided, no person shall use or possess, except in his or her home,
any landing gear, any nets, except standard landing-type dip nets not exceeding 36 inches
in greatest dimension, excluding handle, gaffs or spears within 100 yards of any river,
stream, lake or reservoir. Non-electronic underwater viewing devices may not be used
for taking fish except under the provisions of Section 2.30.

for saltwater its ok, but not freshwater.....
a great place to use one is martins beach for smelt..
this is an area south of half moon bay...
the runs start in aug some time and are followed by
a high tides or full moon.... its not uncommon to see
like 2doz guys on the beach casting for smelt...
fried smelt is really good.....

MB_Kevin
08-06-2005, 08:22 PM
Great info blue crush. you are about to be a big kahuna :D
you seem to know this info so not to hijack this thread but is it legal to use floating lights in lakes in cal to attract fish? I hear about it in the fish reports but see on the light it might not be legal in some states or areas ??? If it would be illegal anywhere it would be cal so if you happen to know that would be cool. I will use one anyways probably but wondering if It was legal.

I think your info has been great and glad to See you with 5 stars soon ;)

KauaiBoy23
08-08-2005, 01:59 PM
;D Not trying to hijack this thread but I agree about how good fried smelt tastes Blue Crush. It's a lot of fun to catch them with the Hawaiian throw nets. It's also productive to throw plugs for stripers there when the smelt are running. ;D