PDA

View Full Version : What lure has produced the most surf stripers?

Lawaia
08-02-2005, 08:29 AM
Just curious as to not your favorite striper lure, but what lure has produced the most stripers for you from the surf? For me its been the Bomber Long A's. Followed by the Hair Raisers.

GT
08-02-2005, 08:43 AM
The number one producer for me has been bucktail jigs then a close second would be poppers.

dimpala95
08-02-2005, 08:43 AM
Here's my list in order from top producer to bottom:
Hairraiser
Kastmaster w/ bucktail
bomber
polaris popper/little neck
pencil popper
pikie
darter

tomaurand
08-02-2005, 09:01 AM
pencil popper followed by pencil popper followed by pencil popper, Then a little neck and if conditions are just right, Pikie Time!

h00kie
08-02-2005, 09:28 AM
Hey Tom, you forgot about the pencil popper ;D

Rusty_Hooks
08-02-2005, 09:55 AM
Thanks for this thread guys, I'm re-rigging for surf after a LONG time away and the timing was just right. *

I'm not familiar with pencil poppers....?

Anyone got a pic?...little neck?

We used to do really well with a chromed, cast iron, castmaster with a nubbly finish.....

Called a "sand" something...with a white bucktail and red wrapping....I still have it ;)

I used to watch the birds too ;D...back in the late 50's and 60's

FishinFool408
08-02-2005, 10:06 AM
Just curious as to not your favorite striper lure, but what lure has produced the most stripers for you from the surf? For me its been the Bomber Long A's. Followed by the Hair Raisers.
Aloha and welcome to the boards Lawaia! *Thus far, the lure that has produced the most for me has been bucktails followed by bombers, and zara spooks. *I've had quite a few follows on pencil poppers, but just haven't hooked up on 'em yet. (yet being the magic word!;D)

Double_D
08-02-2005, 10:11 AM
Thanks for this thread guys, I'm re-rigging for surf after a LONG time away and the timing was just right. *

We used to do really well with a chromed, cast iron, castmaster with a nubbly finish.....

Called a "sand" something...with a white bucktail and red wrapping....I still have it ;)

We would love to see you out there Rusty-Hooks.

Double_D
08-02-2005, 10:23 AM
Here is what I use in order of producing fish.
hair raiser
Bomber
kastmaster
but now it's all about top water plugs, that is where the action is for me. ;)

And Fishenfool408 don't lie your new favorite lure is the
Claudine Bomber with 100lb. braid line. ;D delivered with that ugly side cast. ;D

tomaurand
08-02-2005, 10:27 AM
Hey Tom, you forgot about the pencil popper ;D

See I knew I missed something, thanks hOOkie ;D

there is a meathod to my maddness. When fishing a hole I have found it best to hammer it for abou t15 minutes, change colors then wait 20 minutes and hit it again. You gotta give the fish a break or they will get all lock jawed. The only problem is on a crowded beach you can't get everyone to rest the hole.

Rusty_Hooks
08-02-2005, 10:30 AM
Are you guys fishing "Down stairs?

FishinFool408
08-02-2005, 10:32 AM
Here is what I use in order of producing fish.
hair raiser
Bomber
kastmaster
but now it's all about top water plugs, that is where the action is for me. ;)

And Fishenfool408 don't lie your new favorite lure is the
Claudine Bomber with 100lb. braid line. ;D delivered with that ugly side cast. ;D
DD, shhhh, don't tell anyone! ;D

Double_D
08-02-2005, 10:41 AM
Are you guys fishing "Down stairs?

Lately it has been at that big parking lot in the sky and there is something there looks like stairs at the bottom.

or you might be referring to the place that people live and you walk down a set of stairs and that answer is sometimes.

PlugROCKSTAR
08-02-2005, 10:49 AM

here's some pics of a Pencil Popper
http://www.afterhoursplugs.com/pen.jpg

http://www.afterhoursplugs.com/lil.jpg

Rusty_Hooks
08-02-2005, 10:49 AM
We used to meet at the big parking lot in the sky.... ;)

Where people live....one of my old favorites...ugh,ugh,ugh ;D ;D

Thanks Carlo...I'll go pick up some new toys ;D ;D

Lawaia
08-02-2005, 11:40 AM
Howzit FF408, thanks for the aloha! Great board, with alot of knowledgeable and experienced fishermen. I havent fished up north by Pacifica since the early 80's,way back when all we fished were Blue and Black back Rebel minnows, Cordell Pencil Poppers and Hopkins spoons there were hardly any Hair Raisers being thrown. Well times and conditions and baits change. :) I do most of my striper fishing in HMB and south now. You guys are great with the responses. Maybe I might run into some of you one of these days! ;)

h00kie
08-02-2005, 12:02 PM
See I knew I missed something, thanks hOOkie ;D

there is a meathod to my maddness. *When fishing a hole I have found it best to hammer it for abou t15 minutes, change colors then wait 20 minutes and hit it again. *You gotta give the fish a break or they will get all lock jawed. *The only problem is on a crowded beach you can't get everyone to rest the hole.

You mean like what we had this weekend? I know that when I got there, you guys were standing around and chatting. I didn't think that you guys were resting the water :-/. I've heard that several times since I started fishing. But like you said, it is hard to coordinate a rest time when the beach is packed full of people and with some not believing in the whole concept.
Tom & others, in your opinion what are the chances that the next hook-up in a hole being from the same school as the other hook-ups? I mean could they be a totally different school that are moving thru?

FishinFool408
08-02-2005, 12:08 PM
Howzit FF408, thanks for the aloha! Great board, with alot of knowledgeable and experienced fishermen. I havent fished up north by Pacifica since the early 80's,way back when all we fished were Blue and Black back Rebel minnows, Cordell Pencil Poppers and Hopkins spoons there were hardly any Hair Raisers being thrown. Well times and conditions and baits change. :) I do most of my striper fishing in HMB and south now. You guys are great with the responses. Maybe I might run into some of you one of these days! ;)
Right on bro. Where down south do you fish for stripers? There are many sniffers that fish out in Pacifica, so if you are out that way, come and get your fish on! :)

PlugROCKSTAR
08-02-2005, 03:56 PM
You mean like what we had this weekend? I know that when I got there, you guys were standing around and chatting. I didn't think that you guys were resting the water :-/. I've heard that several times since I started fishing. But like you said, it is hard to coordinate a rest time when the beach is packed full of people and with some not believing in the whole concept.
Tom & others, in your opinion what are the chances that the next hook-up in a hole being from the same school as the other hook-ups? I mean could they be a totally different school that are moving thru?

I've witnessed this incident several times now Hookie. I' a firm believer of it. Saturday when you hooked up we were resting it and you went and disturbed and hooked up ;D

Noodle_Rod
08-02-2005, 05:35 PM
Until last week, all the fish I caught were on hair raisers...two were on pencil poppers but that was only my second time, and now I'm addicted to topwater....

Only once did I ventured down to an emptied beach and came home empty...while everyone rested, I worked those holes throughly....case and point last week with h00kie, Hotspot, some guy and me, it took roughly 1/2hr before 3 hookups between us, about 1min apart, while others were "resting"....I couldn't ask for a bigger crowd ;D

recs1 JBF
08-02-2005, 06:02 PM
I've caught most of my stripers on poppers, kastmaster's, hairraisers and mickey's. *But my biggest one's have alway's been on poppers.

h00kie
08-02-2005, 09:26 PM
I've witnessed this incident several times now Hookie. *I' a firm believer of it. Saturday when you hooked up we were resting it and you went and disturbed and hooked up ;D

My bad!!! :-* I didn't think anything of it at the time. Just thought you guys were BSin' just like they do at the parking lot.

PlugROCKSTAR
08-02-2005, 09:29 PM
My bad!!! :-* I didn't think anything of it at the time. Just thought you guys were BSin' just like they do at the parking lot.

BSin' is that what you guys call it ;D ;D ooh yeah we were.

MB_Kevin
08-02-2005, 09:43 PM
Well times and conditions and baits change. :) I do most of my striper fishing in HMB and south now. ;)
How is the striper bite more south. I have wondered that. do you hook up down in HMB too.

Hair raiser is my top producer. that is not saying much. I have only gotten one. :-/ But it was a fun one and with alot of sniffers around :D

Lawaia
08-02-2005, 10:19 PM
Honestly, the bite this year has been real good in HMB. Im usually working the beaches from Dunes beach south to, Venice, to Half Moon Bay State beach, all the way down to Poplar and Redondo Beach(Im talking miles of beaches). I would say most of the action this year was at the Half Moon Bay State Beach. Mainly around the evening hours. The night smelt spawn in the shallow surf at these beaches, which is why we use alot of Bomber type minnow lures and pencil poppers. :)

MB_Kevin
08-02-2005, 10:22 PM
Thanks now I know when Im in that area I can stop and cast with some confidence. *;) what about by the rock pier.

fishkiller
08-03-2005, 03:33 AM
8)those cute gvbp gets them everytime. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Double_D
08-03-2005, 05:39 AM
8)those cute gvbp gets them everytime. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

fishkiller...what is a gvbp..? ???