PDA

View Full Version : Santa Cruz Striper

SCsurfcaster
07-27-2005, 12:51 PM
Hey guy,
First time poster, long time reader. First off I'd like to say this is a wonderful board this has some awesome, helping fisherman. So I went out yesterday, tp Seabright beach. Got there around 6pm, birds crashing 100 yards off the beach. Bait in the area and breezers. Nailed about a 8 pound striper on a fish trap (first striper). I must say catching stripers from the surf is awesome!! Anyways gonna try it again tonite. I was wondering, how long does the typical surf striper season last? I also talked to a guy down there and he said he's been nailing em there too for the last few weeks.
Just didnt see any posts around SC so figured I post.

Bendo!
SCsurfcaster

h00kie
07-27-2005, 01:00 PM
Welcome to the boards SCsurfcaster!! Congrats on your first surf striper. As long as there is bait around the beaches, chances are there'll be bigger fish trying to eat 'em.

FishinFool408
07-27-2005, 01:08 PM
Welcome SCSC. Good job on your 1st striper. You gotta keep going while the gettin' good bro. Thanks for the post. Good to hear that they are hittin' in SC. There you go GhostfishSlayer...get on it!

SCsurfcaster
07-27-2005, 07:44 PM
Went out today, lotsa bait at the harbor mouth and the beach south of the harbor. Wasn't able to get to the beach south of us, but damn there was alot of bird activity. We fished seabright again, my buddy landed two small ones, and a few shakers. Wind was up and made for tough casting on the lightweight gear. Still a lot of bait in the area.
Bendo!

h00kie
07-27-2005, 08:09 PM
Thanks for the update SCsc.
If you don't mind I'd like to ask you a couple of questions.
What is your arsenal of choice on what rig?
How is the water condition (ie. clarity, grass, waves)

I live down in San Jose and haven't hit the santa cruz area for over a month now and would like to try it out again when I can only get a couple of hours of fishing, given that the tide is right of course. Thanks in advance.

SCsurfcaster
07-27-2005, 08:59 PM
Hey Hookie,
Right now I am using my perch rod, which is a 7 ft fenwick and a penn 1500 graphite. 8 lb p-line with a half ounce dart head and a 4 inch rainbow trout worm king. All my other rods are in socal so my tackle is limited.

Swell is not too big. Two days ago very nice, no wind but today it was blowing a stiff breeze. Hard to get out with the light tackle. I was fishing around the harbor mouth and on the beach. Lots of bait (anchovies), I actually snagged a chovie. Saw lots of bird activity crashing on bait, had to of been stripers. Water is green, semi clear. Some grass although not too bad. Lots of birds and bait on the big point south of the harbor.

Looks fishy

FishinFool408
07-28-2005, 08:34 AM
Looks fishy huh? Definitely sounds very tempting to me? ;D

h00kie
07-28-2005, 08:44 AM
Thanks for the replies SCsc. Must have been a blast for you to fight and land that striper on your perch rod. I bet that had your heart pumping. I just love that feeling :D

FishinFool408
07-28-2005, 10:29 AM
Man, I need to get that lovin' feeling back! :(

SEEKER
07-29-2005, 05:48 PM
SCsurfcaster, will be heading that way in a couple of weeks love to hook up sometime. Congrats on your striper and may you hang many more. TIGHT LINES, Rich