PDA

View Full Version : 3rd X a Charm!

h00kie
01-10-2009, 09:17 PM
Started the day early today with high hopes for today's outing. *Funny thing seeing the sun rise at the same time as the full moon. Today is shaping up to be an extraordinary day.
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m90/h00kie/2009_01moonsun.jpg

Jumped on the freeway to meet up with Ron, who was already at the baitshop picking up bait. We make our way north to a location that I've googled in hopes of being able to launch near a hole that sparked my interest and been studying all week. *Got to the spot only to find out that we will not be able to launch there. *Good thing there's a plan B & C...
We arrived at the next location and found decent condition with about 2 hours left before the final high. *We loaded up, launched and started rowing out to the 1st spot. We dropped anchor on 8' of water near a channel that I found on a previous scouting trip. Baited up with ghost/mud shrimp and casted out our offering.
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m90/h00kie/2009_01bait.jpg

My rig consists of a 7' Med UglyStik Tiger paired with a Penn 321, spooled with 80# braided. *Our leaders were made from 60# coated wire with 7/O Owner hooks. *5oz weight was enough to hold bottom today. All that's left to do now is wait.
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m90/h00kie/2009_01321GTi.jpg

About an hour goes by and not a single hit. Ron suggested we move up the channel where I pointed out that I caught 3 leopard sharks during my scouting trip. We pulled anchor and rowed out some more. *Finally at the second spot, we casted out and waited again. Final high was only 30 min away and the water movement is beginning to subside. *

Today was Ron's 1st trip out in the bay. I couldn't ask for a calmer day to get him out there. No wind, warm day and the current was moderate. http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m90/h00kie/2009_01ron.jpg
We take in the surrounding and notice birds diving for baitfish a few hundred yards away. But today was no day to be casting near diving birds. Today was a bait and wait kinda da..... tick! Something bumped my line.
I hold the rod/reel with my index finger and thumb on the line. This practice has caused me a cut on my index finger when I set the hook on a leopard on my previous outing. Lesson learned.

I repositioned my grip while getting into position to set the hook. Tick, tick! I set hook and immediately felt something heavy on the other end. FISH ON! was directed to Ron. I gave it two more hooksets while reeling in the slack. This fish was heading straight at me. Before it got near my 'toon, it turned 90 degrees and started to take line out. Grinning now, I let it do what it wants to. Whatever it was, it started to get on the top column and my pyramid sinker was now out of the water. The fish then turns towards me again and I was able to gain some of the line back.... Holy cow it's coming in fast! *I disconnected the quick release on my anchor line just as the fish bulldogged under my 'toon. Favoring the bottom of my 'toon, the fish pretty much spun me round and around for nearly 2 minutes. It kept bulldoggin' under me. I used all of the 7' of my rod to manuever the line away from my 'toon.. Finally the fish shows color. I see diamonds!!!!!The fish is now starting to tire and slow down enough to allow me to hand off my camera to Ron. He snaps a couple of still pics and then shot a clip.
The fish went belly up and I worked it near the marks that I made on my 'toon. Looks like a keeper :o. I grabbed my snare with my free hand, worked my rod thru the loop and with a swift motion, snared my 1st ever sturgeon! [smiley=bananachaga.gif]

I've done what I set out to do. Catch a sturgeon from my pontoon! ;D ;D
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m90/h00kie/2009_01515.jpg

Isn't it pretty *::)
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m90/h00kie/2009_01closeup.jpg

Final measurement was 51.5"
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m90/h00kie/2009_01fiftyone5.jpg

Ron managed a leopard at the end of our trip to chase the skunk away. He was just as happy to get some kind of action.
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m90/h00kie/2009_01ron1.jpg
Thanks for the company and taking pics Ron! :)

h ;D ;Dkie

Prowler
01-10-2009, 09:30 PM
AND THE CROWD GOES WILD [smiley=excited.gif] [smiley=excited.gif] Well done h :D :Dkie! You scouted your areas, formed a plan with two back-ups, and then accomplished what you set out to do, all the while ignoring the naysayers. You are fast approaching hero status! [smiley=worthy.gif] [smiley=worthy.gif] [smiley=worthy.gif]

metalmouth
01-10-2009, 09:55 PM
Approaching Hero Status??? *[smiley=worthy.gif] [smiley=worthy.gif] [smiley=worthy.gif] [smiley=worthy.gif]
I'd say you arrived with flying colors!! [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
Congrats on catching a Sturgy in your Toon! [smiley=clap.gif] [smiley=clap.gif] [smiley=clap.gif]
MM

metalmouth
01-10-2009, 10:02 PM
Oh . . . great write up and pics too! :o :o :D :)

Prowler
01-10-2009, 10:27 PM
Okay hOOkie, now that I've calmed down a bit, I just have to say that I really enjoy reading your stories. You have a wonderful way of stringing people along on your journey's through the written word. Awesome story and beautiful pics [smiley=thumbsup.gif] THANKS!

metalmouth
01-10-2009, 10:29 PM
Man I haven't even gotten over h00kie putting one on a Toon! 8-) ;D 8-)

Chadzilla
01-10-2009, 10:35 PM
Man, you are crazy chasing sharks and sturgeon on your pontoon. Congratulations!

shadbuster
01-10-2009, 10:53 PM
Great story, you got a gift writing reports felt like I was right there with you. Oh and congrats on your fish she is pretty.

Mackattack
01-10-2009, 11:18 PM
Sturge Tooning in the bay,what a great escape that is. Congrats.

Mackattack

CJC
01-10-2009, 11:26 PM
Great story, you got a gift writing reports felt like I was right there with you. Oh and congrats on your fish she is pretty.

He's got a gift for catching fish too! :D ;D ;D ;D

You are one crazy Silly boy h00kie! Congratulations!

Wow! [smiley=excited.gif]

Farrier_Frank
01-11-2009, 05:44 AM
Great report... and thanks for making the effort to take those great pictures. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Captain_Morgan
01-11-2009, 08:00 AM
MM thanks for bringing this report to our attention. Wow! Hookie, that had to be an exciting experience for sure. Great job on landing that on your toon, most people can hardly land one in a boat.

Mickey_Thomas
01-11-2009, 08:11 AM
Loved the story, love the catch, loved the pictures, great job h00kie, I now have a new hero to worship :D

MankinD
01-11-2009, 08:43 AM
Ahhhhh, remberances of The Old Man and the Sea. I can see you hooking into that next dino that dwarfs the size of the toon, then you lashing it to the side of the toon for the arduous haul home.
Excellent work on that catch and a great read too.

Doug

fpsamm
01-11-2009, 09:12 AM
Enjoyed your report and the great photos, keep it up.

Samm

Slim
01-11-2009, 09:13 AM
All I can say is
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v12/slim1/Imagestation%20pictures/Misc/f5fe9d9b.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v12/slim1/Imagestation%20pictures/Misc/f5fe9d9b.jpg

Sweet !!!! 8-) 8-) 8-)

Slim

h00kie
01-11-2009, 09:26 AM
Thanks All! :)

I'm still so stoked that I actually did it [smiley=excited.gif]. It took me over an hour trying to think of how I could sum up the trip with my original post. How do you put into text all the feeling that I was experiencing :-? I must have worn out the backspace button on my computer trying to figure out what to type ;D

Regarding being a hero, I'm far from that. I'm just like any one of you, doing what I have to to get my fish on. Like I said on another thread, I'm crazy but not insane :D ;D It did take a lot of planning and research to get the deed done. I have to give a lot of credit to the FS boards & it's members for all the informative posts & tips. You can find so much info here and on other sites to get you going on your quest.

BTW, Ron did manage to shoot a memorable clip of the landing. Enough to get my blood pumping every time I watch it but at the same time get a few good laughs. *Maybe if I can get it to load up, I can share it with you guys. I do have to clear it with the mods tho' cuz I had some choice of words that are not G rated [smiley=lipsrsealed.gif]

nvtroller
01-11-2009, 10:06 AM
Awesome story and pics. I'm not worthy!!!!

troller

ken_fishnfool
01-11-2009, 01:28 PM
SUPER SWEET h00kie!!! :o

The report is great and so are the pics...the video is even better (even though I don't have sound on my computer)!!!

Man that was a mighty short time to spend hunting before you got one! Way under the average 200-300 hours I've heard tell of.
You did your homework well Aquaninja!! ;D ;D ;D

SOOO SWEEEEEET!!! :o

Captain_Morgan
01-11-2009, 07:16 PM
You are very humble. ;) 8-) I can't wait to see the video.

MB_Kevin
01-11-2009, 11:22 PM
WOW :o When you were telling me of your quest to get a sturgeon on your tune I figured you would do it but not that fast! You are a awesome fisherman. I should have known with how fast you started catching fish Pole Pokin that a sturgeon would not be that hard. Great job!!!! 8-)
Im still shocked to see that pic!

GT
01-12-2009, 11:56 AM
Great job Hookie...you da man! *[smiley=worthy.gif]

seefishrun
01-12-2009, 02:34 PM
One fine Puddle ya got there H00kie! Great read as I felt I was right there with you. Congrats buddie! That had to be a blast. What's next?

h00kie
01-12-2009, 03:00 PM
Thanks fellas! ;)

"What's next?"
Well that's a good question Perry ;D ;D Any suggestions?

I think I will put some more hours in while the conditions are ideal. I want to learn all I can about this dino hunting game (bay & river).
There are other species that I want to target from my 'toon as well but that'll happen when the time is right :)

Feesh-On
01-12-2009, 03:14 PM
I got a big fat smile on my face man!

Unfreakinbelievable.

So stoked for you dude.

Please keep me in mind on more trips like this....I'm obviously in awe! :o :o

CJC
01-12-2009, 03:26 PM
Thanks fellas! ;)

"What's next?"
Well that's a good question Perry ;D ;D Any suggestions?

I think I will put some more hours in while the conditions are ideal. I want to learn all I can about this dino hunting game (bay & river).
There are other species that I want to target from my 'toon as well but that'll happen when the time is right :)

Keeper cabies from the rock! :D ;D ;D ;D

We might have to twist Sin Coast's arm a little? ;)

ken_fishnfool
01-12-2009, 04:28 PM
What's next?? Knowing h00kie I would say a 60+ pound White Sea Bass!! This spring!!! :D

Or that oversize sturgie that really takes him for "A RIDE!", on film!! :o ;D ;D ;D

What a trip h00kie!!! ;D ;D ;D

Video is so worthy of a Perry 'sniffer show!! ;)

WOW! is all I can say!

P.S. The herring are coming in around you-know-where... ;)

:)

kytransplant
01-12-2009, 09:24 PM
That's just freakin' awesome. Way to go!! [smiley=jumpinggroup.gif]

FishinFool408
01-14-2009, 07:47 AM
Well deserved fish buddy! Way to get 'er done! I digged the video too. I was hoping for the unedited version so I could witness your (and Ronald's) true reaction to the moment.
More importantly, when do I get my steaks?! :P

Feesh-On
01-14-2009, 10:58 AM
I cant see the video.....

Bass_Sergeant
01-14-2009, 06:40 PM
So that is the last time I accidentally stay off the Sniffer for a few days, because what do I find that I missed.....my boy h00kie has done the unthinkable and landed a Dino on a toon! :o You are the absolute man dude! [smiley=worthy.gif] I have heard of tooners accidentally landing a sturgeon while targeting another species, but this is the first time I have read a successful report of a guy pulling it off intentionally. Great story, and you have deffinatly earned the official TTY member of the month award! Ya, I just kind of thought that up right now. ;)

Congratulations h00kie and I am sure that this will be a topic of discussion at the next DFF! 8-)

/me

ken_fishnfool
01-14-2009, 09:19 PM
So that is the last time I accidentally stay off the Sniffer for a few days, because what do I find that I missed.....my boy h00kie has done the unthinkable and landed a Dino on a toon! :o *You are the absolute man dude! [smiley=worthy.gif] *I have heard of tooners accidentally landing a sturgeon while targeting another species, but this is the first time I have read a successful report of a guy pulling it off intentionally. *Great story, and you have deffinatly earned the official TTY member of the month award! *Ya, I just kind of thought that up right now. ;) *

Congratulations h00kie and I am sure that this will be a topic of discussion at the next DFF! 8-)

/me

So "Belly-boat Specific" or "BS" are you are affectionatly called by your fellow sniffers...

ALL OF US who have fished with h00kie dude KNEW!!!! He would do it!
Ain't it a trip!!?? :o ;D :D

All I can say is "Wish I was there! AGAIN!!" ::)

WOOHOOOOOOO!!!

(Think it might make the current Fishsniffer publication?) :-?

CJC
01-14-2009, 09:52 PM
Nope :P

ken_fishnfool
01-15-2009, 12:32 AM
Nope :P

Oh?? [smiley=worthy.gif] [smiley=yahoo.gif] [smiley=yikes.gif] [smiley=jumpinggroup.gif] [smiley=duh.gif]

h00kie
01-15-2009, 05:28 PM
Well deserved fish buddy! Way to get 'er done! I digged the video too. I was hoping for the unedited version so I could witness your (and Ronald's) true reaction to the moment.
More importantly, when do I get my steaks?! :P
Dude, I can take you where the fish are! I guarantee that the steaks will taste much sweeter if you catch it yourself ;D

Bass_Sergeant
01-19-2009, 09:25 AM
So "Belly-boat Specific" or "BS" are you are affectionatly called by your fellow sniffers...

ALL OF US who have fished with h00kie dude KNEW!!!! He would do it!
Ain't it a trip!!?? :o ;D :D

I agree, it only took fishing with him once and chatting with him about it in the parking lot after the Inaugural Delta Float Fest that I knew that it would only be a matter of time before seeing a report from him of his successful attempt in catching a Dino from his toon!

As for the BS thing...I have always just assumed it was an acronym for Bass_Sergeant here on the boards! It's fun to see what others come up with as far as meanings. 8-)

/me

Darin
01-28-2009, 01:53 AM
WOW. I'm about 10 days late and I don't know how I missed this thread but way to go. That is how ya do it. Is there Video. I scanned throught all of the post pretty quick but didn't see a link. One more thing..............YOU DA MAN. When are you going again? That looks like a blast and I would love to join ya. [smiley=yikes.gif] [smiley=worthy.gif] [smiley=winkfs.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=vrolijk_26.gif]

FFG

h00kie
01-29-2009, 08:50 PM
A blast to catch - YES! Tho' it's entirely the opposite type of fishing that I'm used to. I'd rather run and gun but when the pay off is as it was then I'm willing to bait & wait :) Been putting in more time learning as much as I can about these creatures.
Check your PM FFG.

Sin_Coast
01-30-2009, 03:23 PM
You, sir, are truly a pioneer! Sturgeon from a 'toon? YES WE CAN!
Thanks Hookie! And Congrats!

h00kie
02-03-2009, 08:03 AM
PK,
'Twas actually your kayak bretherens that inspired me to go after sturgies from my 'toon. And I was plotting on trying to convince compa to do it from his tube before he got his kayak.... YES WE CAN! ;D ;D

CJC
02-03-2009, 10:18 AM
And I was plotting on trying to convince compa to do it from his tube before he got his kayak....

You wouldn't have to twist my arm too hard.... :D ;D ;D ;D

Bass_Sergeant
02-04-2009, 07:15 PM
And I was plotting on trying to convince compa to do it from his tube before he got his kayak....

You wouldn't have to twist my arm too hard.... *:D ;D ;D ;D

That sounds like a challenge to me JT...go get 'em!!! ;)8-)

/me

metalmouth
03-19-2009, 01:04 PM
Bump! This still just blows me away! :o :o :)

CJC
03-19-2009, 01:09 PM
LOL

What are you doing MM? Sturgies are gone from the south bay now. May be some sharks left... :D ;D ;D ;D

metalmouth
03-19-2009, 01:10 PM
Someone on the Sturgy Board wanted to know if it was possible and I thought I'd bump it up with a link over there. Man, are you kidding me??? :D