PDA

View Full Version : How many rods to bring?

Bass_Sergeant
02-18-2009, 11:55 PM
I try to simplify my approach to bass fishing by using a single rod for multiple presentations, and since space is limited on my float tube this concept works well for me. *I try to limit myself to 3 rods that I bring with me. *I am thinking of possibly upping it to 4 by the addition of another Caddis rod holder. *I know some guys out there have made custom rod holders and bring more rods with them on their tube/toon/yak than some guys have in their rod locker in their bass boat. :o

So what is your approach to rod quantity choices and how many do you bring on a typical trip? 8-)

/me

GW_Extreme
02-19-2009, 07:50 AM
On my kayak I usually bring 3, one is leadcore.

Captain_Morgan
02-19-2009, 05:46 PM
I like 3 rods, 5 wt fly, 2 spinning rods. 1 set up for bass & one set up for trout. Right now my fly rod has camo clear sinking,but I can change the spool anytime. Although, my fish cat 4 is set up to carry 6 rods, Fish finder,lunch & a 6 pack of brew. :) but ,I haven't figured out how to mount a porta potty yet. ;D

CJC
02-19-2009, 05:54 PM
but ,I haven't figured out how to mount a porta potty yet. ;D
porta what?
http://paxarcana.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/gatorade.jpg

Oh, yea.
I carry 2 rods. One on each hand..... ;)

outdoorsman
02-19-2009, 06:05 PM
Usually 7-9. If im sb fishin its only the 4 sb rods. Frogin its a frog, follow up, a jig rod, aand another rod. Normal days I like a crank, jerkbait, tube,d-shot, jig, and then 3 swimbait rods. I usually have no problems. ::)

Captain_Morgan
02-19-2009, 07:16 PM
porta what?

Oh, yea.

Great idea...it only takes one! ;D 8-)

jeffrm20
02-21-2009, 10:10 AM
I usually bring two rods in my kayak. When I am kayaking the delta on one I always, I repeat always have a spook tied on one. I dont know how many times that bait has came in handy when I catch fish busting the surface ;D

MB_Kevin
02-21-2009, 11:31 PM
porta what?

Oh, yea.
*I think the real question is how many bottles do you bring JT ;D

I like beer as much as the next guy but while in waders on a float tube that has to be inconvenient. *:o

CJC
02-21-2009, 11:47 PM
It's very simple MB. The rule of thumb is "What goes in must come out!" so bring your drinks in the gatorade bottles. :D ;D ;D ;D

But don't drink from the wrong bottle! :D :o [smiley=rotfl2.gif]

Bass_Sergeant
02-22-2009, 12:13 AM
It's very simple MB. The rule of thumb is "What goes in must come out!" so bring your drinks in the gatorade bottles. *:D ;D ;D ;D

But don't drink from the wrong bottle! *:D :o [smiley=rotfl2.gif]

I hope you didn't have to learn that the hard way JT! :D 8-)

/me

Slim
02-22-2009, 06:06 PM
porta what?

Oh, yea.
*I think the real question is how many bottles do you bring JT ;D

I like beer as much as the next guy but while in waders on a float tube that has to be inconvenient. *:o

Well.. In cold water at lease you'll stay warm... for about 10 min anyways... ;D

Slim

I'm just wondering if you can get a drunk driving ticket in a float tube if your blood alcohol # is too high??? Floating under the influence... ;D

Slim

CJC
02-22-2009, 07:05 PM

/me
I only bring drinking water... ;)

Captain_Morgan
02-23-2009, 06:32 PM

/me
I only bring drinking water... *;)

Its all drinking water! ::) Right? ;)

CJC
02-23-2009, 06:37 PM
Its all drinking water! ::) Right? ;)
The difference is mine is recognizable. Clear water, clear mind..... ;D ;D ;D

maui_mark
02-24-2009, 10:26 PM
Okay, back to rods brought along... I usually bring 6-7. I pretty much troll for trout, sometimes kokanee off the downrigger. I fish a Hobie Outback, so the trolling part is easy.
I've found it is easier to pre-rig rods with different lures on shore and it gives me more fishing time on the water. I usually rig one for grubs, one for flies (sometimes with troling discs), one for "naked" half a baby night crawler or trout worms (if I can get them), one for spoons or kastmasters, one for minnow type lures, and if I'm in big brown/or cut water I'll bring one or two big lure rods... kokanee waters will see some of the above traded out for a kokanee rod or two (they also work on big cuts). I think I once took 9 different rods, along with an 8 weight fly rod bungeed onto the opposite side *of the kayak from the paddle, but Yakmotor told me I looked like a "pissed off porcupine"... which isn't as bad as some things I've been called... It just tends to get interesting when a big Amabow or two at once start turning you around. It's do-able though, and like I said, it saves rigging time on the water. *Mark *

outdoorsman
02-25-2009, 09:08 PM
Okay, back to rods brought along... I usually bring 6-7. I pretty much troll for trout, sometimes kokanee off the downrigger. I fish a Hobie Outback, so the trolling part is easy.
I've found it is easier to pre-rig rods with different lures on shore and it gives me more fishing time on the water. I usually rig one for grubs, one for flies (sometimes with troling discs), one for "naked" half a baby night crawler or trout worms (if I can get them), one for spoons or kastmasters, one for minnow type lures, and if I'm in big brown/or cut water I'll bring one or two big lure rods... kokanee waters will see some of the above traded out for a kokanee rod or two (they also work on big cuts). I think I once took 9 different rods, along with an 8 weight fly rod bungeed onto the opposite side *of the kayak from the paddle, but Yakmotor told me I looked like a "pissed off porcupine"... which isn't as bad as some things I've been called... It just tends to get interesting when a big Amabow or two at once start turning you around. It's do-able though, and like I said, it saves rigging time on the water. *Mark *

Ive been told some things too. My best is when they ask if I have enough rods. No.. I need probably 3 more ;)

Bass_Sergeant
02-26-2009, 08:25 PM
I've found it is easier to pre-rig rods with different lures on shore and it gives me more fishing time on the water.

Absolutely! I always come with a game plan and have the applicable baits pre-rigged and ready to go. Deffinatly a good idea when working out of a smaller boat like we do. 8-)

/me