PDA

View Full Version : LONG - Fog to Sizzling!

h00kie
12-10-2008, 02:03 PM
I'm fortunate enough to work with a bunch of fishin' fools who are as crazy as I am. *With fish talks going on all week, I decided to join them last saturday for yet another morning session.

The crisp, cold air greeted my nose & cheeks as I walked out the door this saturday morning. Even tho' these early morning trips have been a regular occurance as of late, this morning was different. Water instantaneously started to build around my eyes as I struggling to get a feel for my fingers. Strapping the 'toon on my truck was a challenge. Winter was definitely making its presence known. Boy it's gonna be a cold one today.

I was on the road by 4:20AM to rendezvous with one of my fishing buddies, Mingot. No more than 15 minutes later I was tailing another water skeeter that's strapped on top of a minivan. *Although it wasn't his first trip to our destination, we decided the night before that Mingot would lead the way. *His eagerness to get on the water was evident. I ended up loosing sight of him about a quarter of the way there but eventually caught up to him as we neared our destination. I guess he had no choice but to slow down in the central valley fog. *The other fisher, Ron, eventually caught up to us near our launch site.

Launching in the fog is no different than any other time. You go through your unloading routine, suit up, checks & double checks. What's different this time is trying to maintain your bearings as soon as you get on the water. *I had planned my route the night before and had it all timed and mapped out in my head. Before heading out, I told Ron & Mingot where I plan on fishing. I pointed out the faint light in the distant from a group of shore anglers that were fishing the point north of us. My intentions was to hit the cove on the other side. They agreed that my plan was worth executing and before I know it Ron was off rowing! He eventually vanished in the fog after a minute. A few minutes later I started to kick out, then Mingot. With our backs in the direction of the faint light, I kicked my TM on reverse while fan casting. Mingot was alternating between rowing and casting. Within 15 minutes of launching, my cell started to ring. I waited 'til the end of my retrieve to pick it up.
"Where are you guys at?!" was the question on the other end.
This was a typical question one asks if you're missing out on some good action... but today was different. Ron has apparently lost his bearings :o. I kicked my 'toon around and started to flash my lights towards the direction of the point. No luck, he can't see it! I restarted my TM and started heading towards the point myself when he blurred out "I think I see you guys!". Somehow he ended up heading south and was now playing catch up.

With the increased daylight it was getting much easier to see in the thick fog. http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m90/h00kie/sat.jpg
And even tho' the cove was still out of sight, I could already hear some commotion from birds and the unmistaken tailslaps from fish. *I told the fellas and we were off... but today was different. Typically it feels like an eternity when heading towards blitzing fish... Today IT WAS eternity! *Seems that my battery did not have enough juice as a result of me not charging it the night before cuz it was lent out. By the time we get to the spot it was as dead calm. *No worries. They're bound to be around the area still. Minutes go by and not a single bump. *I was beginning to see the door closing in on the good bite we've been having.
"Are we going to get skunk today Sensei?" - Mingot said jokingly.
"We'll find 'em!" was my reply. I began to lay out the rock & weed formation to him and advised that he work the transition. I started casting my rat-l-trap beyond the spot and working it back to my 'toon. A few retrieves later it was intercepted and my rod tip started to bend. *I was gonna enjoy this fight as it may be the only one that I'll experience today :) Moments later a keeper was swimming back in the depths. Seemed like the fish was a loner as there was no other action for the next hour, aside from a single surface activity the produced nothing.
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m90/h00kie/sat2.jpg

I decided that since there is no school working the cove that I work the spot I was at thorougly in hopes of finding wanderers. It payed off and I found myself unhooking a little shaker moments later. About an hour goes by and the lull was interrupted by a swift pull that tested my alertness. My rod was almost yanked out of my freezing fingers. Up came a bigger fish that was meant for another purpose.

I decided that it was time for me to head back and started the TM on reverse... no more juice! So instead I started to kick towards the truck and they eventually started back as well with the skunk on their boats. As I said earlier.. today was different!

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m90/h00kie/sat3.jpg

Where, you might ask is the sizzling part? Well this little striper went on the grill and was served with steamed rice & blanched veggies. :)

CJC
12-10-2008, 02:43 PM
And you didn't save me any? :'( :'(

That must have been fun! Chasing linesides in the fog. Great story h00kie!

h00kie
12-10-2008, 03:55 PM
Don't you fret compa! I have a striper with your name on it ;) ... 'slong as you play good guide this weekend and put me on fish! ;D

One thing that I didn't include in my original post was that at the end of our day as we were making our way back, Ron spotted the eye in the sky. Tons of birds working bait south of the launch area!
Boy was it exciting... We rowed as fast as we could to that spot. I haven't rowed like that forever. We got close only to find that the water was now only knee deep and that bait was stranded with no where to go. I sat there for over 20 minutes looking for signs of marauding stripers and wishing that I could hook a fluke fish like I did the last time I was out there.
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m90/h00kie/th_12_072.jpg (http://s102.photobucket.com/albums/m90/h00kie/?action=view&current=12_072.flv)

Prowler
12-10-2008, 10:42 PM
Awesome story h [smiley=clap.gif] [smiley=clap.gif]kie. Good job on nailin' that stripper...I mean striper :-[ Sounds like you guys need to invest in some fog horns. I love it when a post starts with you waking up and ends with dinner on the table [smiley=chowtime.gif]

CJC
12-10-2008, 11:29 PM
Don't you fret compa! I have a striper with your name on it ;) ... 'slong as you play good guide this weekend and put me on fish! ;D

;D ;D ;D

Just kidding h00kie!

It will be the blind leading the blind this weekend! ::) 8-)

Bass_Sergeant
12-11-2008, 05:30 PM
Great report h00kie! I really enjoy thorough reports, I can sometimes imagine that I am there! 8-)

/me

h00kie
12-12-2008, 08:23 AM
Awesome story h [smiley=clap.gif] [smiley=clap.gif]kie. Good job on nailin' that stripper...I mean striper :-[ Sounds like you guys need to invest in some fog horns. I love it when a post starts with you waking up and ends with dinner on the table [smiley=chowtime.gif]
Thanks Prowler! Yes, fog horns might have come in handy that day ;D

;D ;D ;D

Just kidding h00kie!

It will be the blind leading the blind this weekend! *::) 8-)
Haha! Isn't that how epic trips begins or was it disasters? *:-? ;D

Great report h00kie! *I really enjoy thorough reports, I can sometimes imagine that I am there! 8-)

/me
When you come down this way Mr Mod. We'll try to make good and give you something to write home about. Plenty of fishin' fools down this way *;)

I really enjoy reading about other's fishventures as much as I love sharing mine. Pictures or short clips really do add to the reading experience and I do have plenty of clips that I want to share. I just can't find an editing sw at the moment. In due time tho' :)

Bass_Sergeant
12-13-2008, 07:49 AM
Great report h00kie! *I really enjoy thorough reports, I can sometimes imagine that I am there! 8-)

/me
When you come down this way Mr Mod. We'll try to make good and give you something to write home about. Plenty of fishin' fools down this way *;)

I am really looking forward to getting the grand tour of those "Silly lakes"! Should be great! 8-)

/me

ken_fishnfool
12-13-2008, 01:56 PM
At it again!! The Aquaninja master showing off his "Striped Dragon" moves!
I really liked that sizzling move at the end Sensei. ;)

Snuck that one right on in on me!!! ;D

Bass_Sergeant
12-13-2008, 04:13 PM
h00kie's video's are awesome! They remind me of watching the FLW series with the view point from the angler's hat cams. 8-)

/me

Feesh-On
12-15-2008, 02:51 PM
Very cool writeup! - I really enjoyed reading that one!

Great pics too!!

h00kie
12-16-2008, 08:37 AM
Thanks fellas!

Hey Ken! Regardless of all the rah-rahs, we all know you're the real Master. Lots of my floating foundation was because of your guidance. You planted a good seed when I was just a hooked r00kie.

BS, I was actually looking into helmet cams for fishing and when I'm mtn biking. Still saving my pennies ;)

Feesh, Make sure you hang on to that raincheck for when it starts going off again. It's a blast I tell ya! ;D

CJC
12-16-2008, 09:59 AM
hooked r00kie.

So now we know where h00kie came from! But how is it that you are a sensei????

h00kie
12-16-2008, 10:30 AM
hooked r00kie.

So now we know where h00kie came from! But how is it that you are a sensei????
I never made such self-proclamation!?! *:-?
I've got much to learn and to some I'm just a lucky angler ;)

-> "Are we going to get skunk today Sensei?" - Mingot said jokingly.

CJC
12-16-2008, 11:33 AM
May be we have a different definition of sensei? I thought that ment 4th generation japanese? :-?

h00kie
12-16-2008, 11:44 AM
From Webster Online:

Main Entry: senĚsei
Pronunciation: \[ch712]sen-[ch716]s[ch257]\
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural sensei or senseis
Etymology: Japanese, teacher, master
Date: 1968
: a teacher or instructor usually of Japanese martial arts (as karate or judo)

...but for whatever it's worth, I'm not a 4th generation Japanese. :)

CJC
12-16-2008, 12:16 PM
No way! It's in the Websters? ;D ;D ;D

ken_fishnfool
12-17-2008, 05:28 PM
No way! It's in the Websters? *;D ;D ;D

In "Websters" you'll find it under the "Sensei"or"Master", "Japanese" ,or, "Chinese", of such, definition...as follows...

Function:"Teacher", as in Martial arts, or the "art of living fully enriched"...(Both Japanese and Chinese)

Definition: "One who has learned, IN GREAT DEPTH, the martial arts, or the ART OF LIFE, and passes that knowledge on to others"...(to enrich, and pass down to, the "teachings" of the past) to teach and share "life and life's lessons" to select students... ;)
:-?

mingo
12-19-2008, 01:54 AM
He is just the ONE 8-) when it comes to fishing. *I need to learn more from Sensei (KenFF is correct, when he said Master/Teacher). *In Chinese it is Sea Food ;D, jk. *For Master/Teacher in Chinese, it is "Sifu". *Not sure if I spell that correctly but it sounds right.

Anyhow I am a newbie here so I still have a lot to learn from H00king Fishingfool. *Plus it is more fun to be fishing with friends. *

CJC
12-19-2008, 06:22 AM
Welcome to the boards GrassH0pper! You must be the one that got lost in the fog? ;D ;D ;D

I like that handle of yours! Very fitting! :D ;D ;D ;D

mingo
12-19-2008, 02:39 PM
Welcome to the boards GrassH0pper! You must be the one that got lost in the fog? ;D ;D ;D

No Compa, I am the other ONE >:(. *Not the guy who 'toon in the fog ;D.

Kenff, I have got rid of both of my float tubes. *H00kie has got me H00k :-/ by the lip when he had me try his pontoon. *So I have got a yellow banana ;D now. *Then I try H00kie TW, now I have to get the set up for TW too which cost me some $$$ >:(. *I had to order anchor mount from waterskeeters and also buy me a TW. *I am almost ready but not yet there. *i think I almost have everythings.

BTW, H00kie had me H :'( :'(k on float tube first now pontoon too. *Damn this ff is getting expensive. * Wife is going to say "NO' soon. *But for now she is still okay with it but for how long is the million$$$ ??? *We shall see :o

mingo
12-19-2008, 02:42 PM

No Compa, I am the other ONE >:(. *Not the guy who 'toon in the fog ;D.

Kenff, I have got rid of both of my float tubes. *H00kie has got me H00k :-/ by the lip when he had me try his pontoon. *So I have got a yellow banana ;D now. *Then I try H00kie TW, now I have to get the set up for TW too which cost me some $$$ >:(. *I had to order anchor mount from waterskeeters and also buy me a TW. *I am almost ready but not yet there. *i think I almost have everythings.

BTW, H00kie had me H :'( :'(k on float tube first now pontoon too. *darn this ff is getting expensive. * Wife is going to say "NO' soon. *But for now she is still okay with it but for how long is the million$$$ ??? *We shall see :o

NOW you guys know who my Sifu/sensei 8-). Kenff you can still teach me a thing or 2 SeaF :o :od.

Bass_Sergeant
12-19-2008, 03:19 PM
Welcome GrassH0pper! Looks like you fit right in! 8-)

/me

ken_fishnfool
12-19-2008, 03:32 PM
Well now grassH0pper if it's seaf00d you want there's no other than "Sifu" Compa to teach you how to sizzle!!
Check out some of his stuff on "Cooking your catch"!

The "ONE"?? sorry, but I'm still trying to figure out "Which ONE" is the other "One"? or is it which "Other ONE" is "THE ONE"?::)

Either way welcome grassH0pper!! Only one word of caution from me...Don't even TRY to figure out how h00kie does it!!! Just realize he's g00d!! and go with the flow (Which means you better have a good trolling motor!!). :o ::) :)

Next thing you know you'll go with aquaninja sensei to fish for sturgeon from your toon...then you'll neet to get a "sturgeon" set-up...then the surf for stripers and albacore...then you'll need that set-up...etc. :D ;D ;D ;D

mingo
12-20-2008, 12:05 AM
Well now grassH0pper if it's seaf00d you want there's no other than "Sifu" Compa to teach you how to sizzle!!
Check out some of his stuff on "Cooking your catch"!

The "ONE"?? sorry, but I'm still trying to figure out "Which ONE" is the other "One"? or is it which "Other ONE" is "THE ONE"?::)

Either way welcome grassH0pper!! Only one word of caution from me...Don't even TRY to figure out how h00kie does it!!! Just realize he's g00d!! and go with the flow (Which means you better have a good trolling motor!!). :o ::) :)

Next thing you know you'll go with aquaninja sensei to fish for sturgeon from your toon...then you'll neet to get a "sturgeon" set-up...then the surf for stripers and albacore...then you'll need that set-up...etc. :D ;D ;D ;D

What??? *Kenff, you do not remember ME >:(. *I am the guy who was in the float tube bass tournament with Hookie at Anderson Lake this year where I can't even float back for weigh-in. *Some guy in a pontoon had to push me back for the weigh in. D :P you remember me now?

Thanks for the welcome, I actually sign up over 2 years ago but never really access it until now. *Since I am at the children hospital with my daughter, i figure I will blog a bit with you guys. *I have enjoy reading up on all of these ff stories. *Hopefully H ;D ;Dkie will write a fishing book one of these days because he has a lot of good fishing stories, or he is just a g :D :Dd story teller. *BTW *I am not trying to figure out how my Sifu does, I am just trying to learn a few things or 2 from him. *He has taught me a lot of fun fishing. *Also fyi, I have exactly the same TW as H ;D ;Dkie. *Hopefully with you 2 Sensei, since I have heard you are H00kie sifu.

Oh I would love to go fish for sturgeon with my Sensei if he does not mind my draggin along. *FYI again ff, I have already done some surf fishing with H00kie already this year. *I was the only ONE who caught a keeper of halibut. *So I end spending over $250 for surf setup, I have not even g >:(t the rod wet yet. *It is still brand spanking new. *I wish you would warn me about this much earlier about H00kie... *Its cool I have much fun learning and fishing with my Sensei. *Once you get H :'( :'(k by H00kie, you automatic become a ff.

:-[ :-[ :-[

CJC
12-20-2008, 09:54 AM
Thanks for the welcome, I actually sign up over 2 years ago but never really access it until now.
Well, what took you so long? ;D ;D ;D ;

I hope your daughter gets better soon.

h00kie
12-20-2008, 01:15 PM
1st of all, stop calling me sensei already. It isn't what I am :-[
Secondly, welcome to the boards man!

ken_fishnfool
12-20-2008, 07:26 PM
Yes I do remember GrassH0pper, we actually first met at the Coyote tourney. ;)
Best wishes for your daughter and you and your family as well.

Sorry I didn't warn you about how easily it is to get h ;D ;D ked!

And O.K. h00kie. But to know ya is to LOVE YA, and stand in AWE... :o ;D ;D ;D

(if you aren't a teacher then what is it? Osmosis?? GrassH0pper got a HaliBut in the surf first year out??!! AWEsome...) :)

CJC
12-20-2008, 08:41 PM
Once you get H :'( :'(k by H00kie, you automatic become a ff.[

Sorry I didn't warn you about how easily it is to get h ;D ;D ked!

I'll have to coin this term: You have been "h00kied"! ;D ;D ;D

ken_fishnfool
12-21-2008, 11:38 AM
So is "ff" a "fishing fanatic"? a "fishing friend"? a "fishing freak"? a "fishing Frodo"? a "fishing fool"??? What, What???

Man did we ever hijack this thread, or what, sensei/sifu!!! ;D ;) :)

mingo
12-22-2008, 02:12 AM
1st of all, stop calling me sensei already. It isn't what I am :-[
Secondly, welcome to the boards man!

Alright, fine, I will stop calling you Sensei :'( but the truth - that is what you are, my teacher of fishing. *What else would I call you then? *Oh wait, ff??? :-/ *If you like to know what ff then ask Kenff, he has got that down g :D :Dd.

Thanks for introducing me to FishSniffer, t ::) ::). ::) *Now I can learn a lot more from other ff here on fs.

mingo
12-22-2008, 02:37 AM
Yes I do remember GrassH0pper, we actually first met at the Coyote tourney. ;)
Best wishes for your daughter and you and your family as well..:)

w ;Dw, you do have great memory you old ff. *Thanks for all the best wishes but the NEWS is not good at all now. *Drs. are telling us now that they can not doing anything for her anymore and that she will have weeks to months to live. *All I can say is that "This is part of our journey" in life. *She has proven these drs. wrong before and I am sure she will prove them wrong again. *I am not sure how I am coping with this but "LIFE MUST GO *:'(N". *That is part of the reason why I take up fishing. *It is a best way to just relax and try to clear my mind. *I've try to live by these quotes: *"If everything else fail, try smiling :). *It will make your day go easier. *Life is too short to be drowning in sorrows and tears." *I call H :'( :'(kie last Friday and told him that i will need to do a lot more fishing.

Meet my little precious daughter "Katalina" on youtube: *http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtFDvc_37Nw&feature=channel_page
My little ff: *http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRvNdLQZ1lY&feature=channel_page *
She loves to go fishing with me until she got worst where she has to be on oxygen 24/7. *She is a tough little c ;) ;)kie, she inspires me every nights and days. *You can check her out more on youtube.

(if you aren't a teacher then what is it? Osmosis?? GrassH0pper got a HaliBut in the surf first year out??!! AWEsome...) :)
You tell H >:( >:(kie Kenff, i totally agree with you. *Actually i can call him ff from your quote. *That way, it would be fishing friend, fishing fool, fishing freak, or fishing frodo??? *Actually maybe we can call it "Fishing Family" because that is what it sounds like to me here on FS. *Whichever sounds g ;D ;Dd to H :D :Dkie is okay with me.

mingo
12-22-2008, 02:44 AM

So who is sensei/sifu??? *Can't be H00kie since he does not want to be call that? *So who are you talking about Kenff? :-? :D ;)

Bass_Sergeant
12-22-2008, 08:44 AM
GrassH0pper your daughter is soooo cute! :) My family will keep her in our prayers in hoping the doc's are proved wrong yet again! 8-)

/me

CJC
12-22-2008, 09:08 AM
GrassH0pper

Having done that and been there I know what you and your family are going through. Keep the spirit up.

mingo
12-22-2008, 03:22 PM
GrassH0pper your daughter is soooo cute! :) *My family will keep her in our prayers in hoping the doc's are proved wrong yet again! 8-)

/me

Bass Serg - Thank you for all the prayers...

GrassH0pper

Having done that and been there I know what you and your family are going through. Keep the spirit up.

Compa, what do you mean? *You have lost your child before in similar situation? :'( *I am interest on how you get thru it? :'( :'( :'(

ken_fishnfool
12-22-2008, 04:06 PM

So who is sensei/sifu??? *Can't be H00kie since he does not want to be call that? *So who are you talking about Kenff? :-? :D ;)

Well it WAS h00kies thread...so that is whom I was refering too (Even IF he doesn't want to acknowledge he is such!). I know you know what I mean Ming (or is it Minh)?!

As for me being h00kies sifu all I can do is laugh at that one!
[smiley=rotfl2.gif]

All I ever did for that guy, is get out on the water and say, "Let's try here, and here" He went and did HIS THING!! It is really fun to watch and witness!!!
[smiley=yikes.gif] [smiley=yahoo.gif]

I hope I can be here if and when you need a day out on the water Ming!!! Or even just want a big hug!!!
Holler at me for sure! :)

CJC
12-22-2008, 04:19 PM
Check your PM GrassH0pper.

Ditto what Ken said! Let us know.