PDA

View Full Version : Need help with info on a trolling motor

Darin
12-18-2008, 01:24 AM
I am picking up the toon this weekend and need a trolling motor for it. I have the batteries two 6volt in series (higher amperhours) and I am in the works of makeing a small generator to charge them while there is current or movement in the water(paddle style). I'm pretty clueless on trolling motors for toons so any help would be great.
Thanks FFG

h00kie
12-18-2008, 08:51 AM
1st of all congrats on the purchase!
Here's what I can contribute that will apply to most type 'toons. Some may be obvious but I'll add them anyway.

Mounting Type: Transom-mount trolling motor is the standard for most pontoons. The only exception that I know of are for the new Scaddens with the dingy design which I assume can take either type.

Shaft Length: Most 'toons from different manufacturers that I have seen uses 30" shaft. Most manufacturers design their trolling motor brackets to accomodate the shortest shaft that's widely available. Look into your specific brand to see if there's a minimum length requirement.

Controls: A lot of the motors that I have seen have twist-type speed controls. 5 forward & 3 reverse. The extending arms is standard for the newer models and some go as far as having the arm tilt design feature. One can purchase an add-on extension/tilt arm from cabelas also.

Power: I run a 30 lb thrust Minnkota Endura on my 8'6" Water Skeeter and it's adequate for lakes and the delta. Look into the type of waters that you'll be fishing and see what suits your needs. Some of the longer/larger 'toons, like the Skykomish, may require more power to get the desired speed and control.

Rating: Salt or Fresh water. This depends again on where you'll be fishing.

Addendums:
-Make sure you register that 'toon before taking it out on the water with the trolling motor. You'll be required to fill out a form that will ask for a hull # or a vehicle ID. This info is typically stamped on the bottom of the 'toon's frame.
-Seeing that you are in the process of making an onboard charging unit, it may still be a wise decision to purchase and carry a small battery meter. It comes in handy if you want to estimate how far you can go with your current battery charge. If you don't mind, I'd love to see the generator that you're making.

Good luck & enjoy your new toy! :)

CJC
12-18-2008, 09:07 AM
I really don't think a paddle type generator will be efficient enough to give you any gains on battery power. If I were to install a power supply for use in the water it would be a photovoltaic type. The reason of that is that the paddle type will contribute to slow down your advance with water and wind resistance so your net gain would be negligible or even negative.

h00kie
12-18-2008, 09:20 AM
It may yet work if he's anchoring up in the current, such that in the stream or river system. *Knowing FFG's fishing conditions & style might give us a better understanding of what might work for him. I fished the Napa river and seen two 'toons anchored up. Using a paddle type charging unit in this type of situation is definitely feasable.

Although having a photovoltaic charging unit along with the paddle type may be the winning ticket! ;)

h00kie
12-18-2008, 09:23 AM
Here's an idea!
Find a way to exploit your new trolling motor and hook up that generator to the prop. Eh? :-?

Reno_Flytyer
12-18-2008, 01:39 PM
hookie pretty much nailed it. I've had a 38# Minnkota on my 9' Outcast & have zero issues. My buddy had a 'toon from Sportsmans Warehouse that weighed at least thirty pounds heavier than mine. He almost pooped his pants trying to lift his to the top of his SUV, but he also had a 30# Minnkota on his (also 9') & when we raced, we were dead even. So, I guess I don't know how much difference the eight pounds of thrust made in our boats, and in our stillwater fishing, it doesn't have much to do with the final result (getting to and from the fish).
RFT

Darin
12-18-2008, 07:54 PM
Thanks for the info guys, much apperciated. I live on the Middle Fork of the American River and do most of my fishing there. If I anchor up it will charge the batteries. Not much but just enough to get me where I need to in a emergency. I am going to school for Mechatronics (Industrial Robotics) so I have all the things I need to make one from scratch in our lab. I'll let you know how it works.
FFG