PDA

View Full Version : Tube motors?

joshc40
01-09-2008, 03:41 PM
I have a Caddis Pro 2000 and I would like to know if there are any trolling motors that I can attach to it. Not sure if I can afford it now but if anyone has any suggestions, please don't hesitate. Thanks and God bless.

Josh

Shenanigans
01-09-2008, 04:05 PM
I have a Caddis Pro 2000 and I would like to know if there are any trolling motors that I can attach to it. Not sure if I can afford it now but if anyone has any suggestions, please don't hesitate. Thanks and God bless.

Josh

Here you go knock your self out! ;D

http://www.fishwest.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=BW06FP1000BK &Category_Code=0131boats&Product_Count=1

/me
Shadow says...

metalmouth
01-09-2008, 04:48 PM
I originally used that on my tube and then later on with my pontoon kick boat. They work great!

MM

Bass_Sergeant
01-09-2008, 06:31 PM

Josh

In my post "Float Tube Rigging" we talked about those for a bit. There are some pics there for your viewing pleasure! :)

8-)
/me

MB_Kevin
01-10-2008, 11:33 PM
That is cool. Do you have to register it if you hook a motor to it? Or was that just for boats over so many feet.

cptdarel
01-11-2008, 06:29 AM
That is cool. *Do you have to register it if you hook a motor to it? *Or was that just for boats over so many feet.
Boy if they make you regester that, we'll protest at on the front steps in Sacto. >:(

Shenanigans
01-11-2008, 07:32 AM
That is cool. *Do you have to register it if you hook a motor to it? *Or was that just for boats over so many feet.
Boy if they make you regester that, we'll protest at on the front steps in Sacto. >:(

LOL!

Well I had to register a wooden 8ft Jon boat that i made because I put a troller on the back. That was in easy going MI so I can only imagine what CA has to say! $$$$$$$$$$$

/me

Shenanigans
01-11-2008, 07:39 AM
Well it does not look to good,

CA Registration/Titling
All vessels may be registered at any California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). Upon registration the DMV will issue the boat owner: registration stickers, a Certificate of Number as well as a Certificate of Ownership. The following vessels do not require registration in California:

Vessels 8 feet or less in length propelled by sail (i.e. sailboards)
U.S. Coast Guard Documented Vessels
Vessels that are currently registered and kept in another state (after more than 90 days of use, California should be considered the state of principal use)
Vessels registered in another country
Manually propelled vessels (i.e. canoe, kayak)

Looks like as soon as it is not manually propelled you are screwed! I have seen canoes registered with trollers on them.

I hope someone proves me wrong!
/me

cptdarel
01-11-2008, 11:16 AM
Need to look into this further, if that is the case, scuba propelled craft would fall into that category, radio controlled boats, there must be an exemption. :-/
from DMV web site: the word generally is and can be an exemption. my 2 cents

Generally, every sail-powered vessel over eight feet in length and every motor-driven vessel (regardless of length) that is not documented by the U.S. Coast Guard which is used or on the waters of this state are subject to registration by the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). The vessel must be located in California.

Vessels previously registered in other states must be registered in California within 120 days of being brought into the state, if it will be used upon California waterways the majority of the time.

The term vessel applies to every description of water-craft used or capable of being used as a means of transportation on water, except the following:

A seaplane on the water.
A watercraft specifically designed to operate on a permanently fixed course and guided by a mechanical device that restricts the watercraft's movement to the fixed course.
A floating structure that is designed and built to be used as a stationary waterborne residential dwelling, which, (a) does not have and is not designed to have a mode of power of its own, (b) is dependent for utilities upon a continuous utility linkage to a source originating on shore, and (c) has a permanent, continuous hookup to a shoreside sewage system.
The following vessels do not have to be registered in California:

Vessels propelled solely by oars or paddles.
Nonmotorized sailboats that are eight feet or less in length.
Nonmotorized surfboards propelled by a sail and with a mast that the operator must hold upright.
A ship's lifeboat (a dinghy is not a lifeboat).
Vessels currently and lawfully numbered (registered) by another state that are principally used outside California.
Vessels brought into California for racing purposes only (exempted only during races and tune-ups).

Shenanigans
01-11-2008, 11:33 AM
Need to look into this further, if that is the case, scuba propelled craft would fall into that category, radio controlled boats, there must be an exemption. :-/

Scuba propelled craft I hope not, that would be a little extreme even for CA. As for the toy boat, unless your riding in it, it is not cosidered a vessel.

Doesn't someone on here work for the DMV?

/me

cptdarel
01-11-2008, 11:38 AM

Scuba propelled craft I hope not, that would be a little extreme even for CA. As for the toy boat, unless your riding in it, it is not cosidered a vessel.

/me

you see "As for the toy boat, unless your riding in it, it is not cosidered a vessel. "
but it doesn't say that, that is your words. I think the ticket here is GENERALLY,!

cptdarel
01-11-2008, 11:47 AM
[/quote]

[/quote]
I have to chuckle about that statement, you cannot get 2 people in dmv to agree on somethings, I bought a commercial fishing boat NOT documented, and was told by the harbor to go to DMV and regesrer under commercial V-5, I went there and was told NO it can only be regestered as V-1, after the third trip to DMV, and supervisors involved, the harbor master called them to tell them how to do it, I left shaking my head with the V-5 regestration, they learned something :-/ I think?

OK I'm done now ;D

Shenanigans
01-11-2008, 11:51 AM

[/quote]
I have to chuckle about that statement, you cannot get 2 people in dmv to agree on somethings, I bought a commercial fishing boat NOT documented, and was told by the harbor to go to DMV and regesrer under commercial V-5, I went there and was told NO it can only be regestered as V-1, after the third trip to DMV, and supervisors involved, the harbor master called them to tell them how to do it, I left shaking my head with the V-5 regestration, they learned something :-/ I think?[/quote]

The Hell that I call DMV. I have stories that I still dont believe. But I think that is for another thread!

/me

Shenanigans
01-11-2008, 12:18 PM
I cant find anything that says it word for word but the CA DMV's deffinition of Vessel sucks everything in under the law. >:(

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/boatsinfo/boatreg.htm

/me

Zucca
01-11-2008, 12:21 PM
Why would you think California is different than other entities? *At Pyramid lake, if you put a motor on a pontoon or a tube, you need the boating permit. *Most states only exempt certain non motorized boats and once you put a motor on it you are subject to permitting or registration. *Not everyone agrees with the requirements, but we still must abide by them or be cited.

metalmouth
01-11-2008, 12:32 PM
You have to register it but the trick is to register the Float Power Tube. That is the least expensive and then you can move it from a Tube to a Toon and it only cost $30.00 to put it out of it's misery. ;D

cptdarel
01-11-2008, 01:10 PM
Thats it, I'm going to Sacremento, and taking my signs!! ::)

Shenanigans
01-11-2008, 01:34 PM
Thats it, I'm going to Sacremento, and taking my signs!! ::)

You might want to take something more powerful than signs! Talking to those politicians is like......

[smiley=wallbash.gif]

/me

Bass_Sergeant
01-11-2008, 05:10 PM
WOW, I had no idea that so many tubers were actually powered up! :o Cool stuff! How do you guys like it? Money well spent? 8-)

/me

Shenanigans
01-11-2008, 07:05 PM
Huh very intresting.....

/me

metalmouth
01-12-2008, 07:53 AM
WOW, I had no idea that so many tubers were actually powered up! *:o *Cool stuff! *How do you guys like it? *Money well spent? * 8-)

/me
In Idaho the wind blows a lot. It is really the only way to guarantee that you don't end up on the wrong side of the lake. I use my fins to direct the boat rather than steering with the motor. The 45 lb. thrust was great for getting from place to place. ;)

Bass_Sergeant
01-12-2008, 04:58 PM
WOW, I had no idea that so many tubers were actually powered up! *:o *Cool stuff! *How do you guys like it? *Money well spent? * 8-)

/me
In Idaho the wind blows a lot. It is really the only way to guarantee that you don't end up on the wrong side of the lake. I use my fins to direct the boat rather than steering with the motor. The 45 lb. thrust was great for getting from place to place. *;)

:o :o :o
45lbs on a float tube? :o That must be like 101 on a bass boat! I have seen bass boats with less power than that, I can't imagine what the push must feel like. That's awesome! 8-)

/me

metalmouth
01-12-2008, 06:30 PM

/me
In Idaho the wind blows a lot. It is really the only way to guarantee that you don't end up on the wrong side of the lake. I use my fins to direct the boat rather than steering with the motor. The 45 lb. thrust was great for getting from place to place. *;)

45lbs on a float tube? *:o *That must be like 101 on a bass boat! *I have seen bass boats with less power than that, I can't imagine what the push must feel like. *That's awesome! *8-)

/me

I added a 2" x 8" on an angle to create an external transom on my Float Power Tube. If you need to get off a lake in a hurry you have to hold the motor head so that it doesn't push to hard on a tube. :o ;D 8-) It works great and for a Toon and is the right amount of power to get where you are going.

MM

Shenanigans
01-12-2008, 08:15 PM

/me

45lbs on a float tube? *:o *That must be like 101 on a bass boat! *I have seen bass boats with less power than that, I can't imagine what the push must feel like. *That's awesome! *8-)

/me

I added a 2" x 8" on an angle to create an external transom on my Float Power Tube. If you need to get off a lake in a hurry you have to hold the motor head so that it doesn't push to hard on a tube. *:o ;D 8-) It works great and for a Toon and is the right amount of power to get where you are going.

MM

HA! do you have to slow down in the no wake zones with that bad boy? Tim Allen comes to mind...... ;D

/me

MB_Kevin
01-13-2008, 12:12 AM
I had that problem with a canoe I had bought from my boss. He had gotten it from a guy near his cabin. They had never traded pagerwork because there was no need to register it. Then I decided to put a trolling motor on it. I even seen f&g one time and they just waved. I felt bad sometimes seeing canoes that were registered so I sold it and got an inflatable with a bigger motor. I know it has to be registered to.

I did get stopped after a few trips with them checking the registration on it. I got the feeling they catch alot of people in inflatables with a motor that don't register them.

The guy was so impressed with the way I mounted the stickers on it he even stopped us later in the day with some rookies to show them how I did it. Then they checked our fish >:( I was wanting to fish and he kept coming by.