PDA

View Full Version : Unorthodox Sacramento River Methods

MSzychulda
09-08-2005, 06:42 PM
Ok with these tight lipped fish up around Woodson and Red Bluff my buddies and I are getting frustrated. I am beginning to think we need to try some new techniques! Seems like the fish have changed in the last few years. We are using the standbys of Roe both backbounced and drifted, and quick fish with a sardine wrap backtrolled.
I am thinking of trying spinners like I used to use in Colusa, maybe Tuna Balls like used in the Trinity, Plug cut anchovies (caught a few last year on a whole anchovie while sturgeon fishing, after season of course :-[ ), Corkies and Spin and Glows like Alaska; basically try something diffrent to find a pattern this year.
Anyone else using anything strange or adopted from another area with success? There has to be something to help promote a few more strikes.

dimpala95
09-08-2005, 07:48 PM
Not here. Our spinners are working great in the Colusa area.

joe_tomlinson
09-08-2005, 08:09 PM
PENN321, try this one, 7-10 ft leader, bead, and a 2 or 4 red gami. They always seem to love it! ;D

MSzychulda
09-08-2005, 10:48 PM
A little long lineing *:D

Covelo
09-08-2005, 11:20 PM
Might be your roe. Try a different cure or add something to it like casein, brown sugar or sodium sulfate to spice it up. All roe is not the same. You realize this when you are parked next to a guide boat, fishing the same way at the same spot and he is limiting and you are just trying to beat the skunk. In Oregon, roe cures are a tightly held secret. Last year at Woodson one trip we hooked fish on most long drifts. Next trip just a couple days later, we couldn't buy a tug even though every one else was hooking them. Different batch of roe was the difference.

MSzychulda
09-09-2005, 09:17 PM
I have some diffrent roe recipes I am using. I like the Proglow the best, it holds together well and I caught a few fish last year on it. I also have some homemade cures with sugars, oils ect added and nothing has worked so far. I want to try the new Petskies cure, as the balls of fire have always been killers on the local trout.
A guy the other day was doing well with fresh roe, no cure. I might have to try that! I plan to tie up a few tuna balls for kicks, and shined up my spinners. I am just going to put the time in to find what gets them biting.
i read a good article on Wobblers as well. Might be something to try. Well i am off to make some more weights for tomorrow. Wish me luck.

kromebrite
09-09-2005, 09:55 PM
remember, it was guys on the Sacramento river who first began to wrap flatfish with sardine filets, and I'm sure folks thought they were a half-bubble off trying. Until the limits started coming in, that is.
I figure try the old standbys. If you hook-up , cool. If not, what is the harm in trying something diff for a couple hours?

09-11-2005, 08:07 AM
Has any body ever tried putting a flasher while backboucing roe? The Idea came to me yesterday while fishing the Feather, and could not buy a bite, eventhough there where hundreds of fish jumping all over the place. My buddy stopped me from putting the flasher on due to embarrasement.

Double_D
09-11-2005, 08:17 AM
you never know what will work, but this time I think you might want to thank your buddy. ;)

I like to try different things when no one is around. 8)