PDA

View Full Version : HAVE BOAT: RIVER SALMON EXPERIENCE NEEDED

FF_MYRL
08-30-2005, 03:03 PM
I WOULD LIKE TO LEARN TO TROLL AND JIG FOR SALMON IN THE SAC. AND MOKE. RIVERS. I HAVE A 1997 19' MONARK WITH A 7.5' BEAM IT HAS A 90 HP MERCURY O/B WITH TROLL PLATE AND A 4 STROKE 15HP YAMAHA KICKER. I DO NOT HAVE DOWNRIGGERS, BUT FROM WHAT I HEAR THEY ARE NOT NEEDED IN THE RIVERS. I LIVE IN MURPHYS, CA, CALAVERAS COUNTY. IT'S 93 MILES FOR ME TO GET TO BRANNON ISLAND BOAT LAUNCH AND ABOUT THE SAME TO WIMPY'S OR NEW HOPE. I WOULD BE WILLING TO TAKE MY BOAT OR YOURS. I WOULD BE WILLING TO TRAVEL NORTH TO SACRAMENTO, IF NEEDED. BUT I WOULD REALLY LIKE TO LEARN THE RIO VISTA AREA.

I AM A 31 YEAR OLD ENGINEER/FIREFIGHTER AND MY DAYS OFF ROTATE. IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED PLEASE PM ME.THANK YOU.

L HALL
08-30-2005, 06:41 PM
Hey Murphys guy-- would be glad to tell you all about it--E mail me last of sept. --let jet skiers and water skiers have it a while longer--biggest run in Oct.

FF_MYRL
08-30-2005, 07:31 PM
I WILL EMAIL YOU LATER IN SEPT. WHAT AREA DO YOU FISH? DO YOU TROLL OR JIG OR BOTH? I HAVE PICKED UP SOME BLUE FOX SPINNERS AND SOME GIBBS SPOONS,I HEAR THEY WORK. BUT I HAVE NEVER FISHED FRESH WATER FOR SALMON.

trouser_trout
08-30-2005, 08:34 PM
FF MYRL,

push your "Caps Lock" key again. :P

TT

MadCanoe
08-31-2005, 05:05 AM
Dear Sir -
A Fish Finder is a must for finding schools.
Once you find the fish then just a good presentation of the common lures or roe is all you will need. Make sure you are getting to the bottom. a trolling three way and 1 ounce or sometimes more will do the trick. After all of that.... I wish I could go to help but can't..... -=Cy

14_blast
08-31-2005, 11:38 AM
FF_MYRL,

I already posted this a week or so ago, but it could help you.

imho, a reel with a line counter loaded with spectra is a must as well as a 7' to 8'6" rod with backbone and a light tip so you can see your lure working.

I found this on Can's website:

Salmon Trolling Techniques

I. Wiggle Wart.

· The best test line to use for trolling Wiggle Wart is from 15 lb. to 20 lb. Remember to check your reel drag all time.

· Tie fishing line to Duolock Snap swivel and then snap the Wiggle Wart lure to it.

· The Duolock snap helps to change to a different color of Wiggle Wart lure easier.

· Boat speed should be from 0.8 to 1.2 mph.

· Always check your lure when dropping it next to your boat and see how the lure diving before release your fishing line to the range from 80 to 120 feet away from your boat.

· In the morning, try to release your fishing line about 70 to 80 feet away from your boat. Doing this would let your lure diving just about 5 to 8 feet from the top.

· During the day, release the fishing line up to 120 feet to let the lure diving close to the bottom of the river (5 feet above the bottom of the river is best).

· Try to troll along the edge of the deep channel of the river. Salmon tend to swim along that path.

· Always carry the big landing net that big enough to hold the big fish. The hoop size 28”x30” with the handle is about 54” is good enough.

· Be relax and confident to fight for the fish. Don’t hurry to land the fish when they are still strong to fight for their lives. And remember to keep your fishing line always tensed.

II. Spinners
· Fishing test line can be from 17 lb. to 30 lb. Be sure to set your reel drag right.

· Sinker should be used to bring the lure down to certain depth level depending on what’s time of the day. Sinker weight can be from 3/8 oz up to 3 oz.

· For 3/8 oz and ½ oz sinker, the rubble split sinker can be used to clip it to the fishing line with a distance is about 4 to 5 feet from the spinner.

· For 1 oz sinker or heavier, 3-way ring swivel, spreader, or banana sinker can be used.

FF_MYRL
08-31-2005, 08:06 PM
Thank you, for the info. I have a lowrance x102 color fishfinder 5" screen, my pole is an ugly stick 10-25# with a daiwa greatlakes 47lc reel (w/ line conter built in)I use power-pro line. I have purchased several blue fox #6 (blue, silver, red, pink, yellow, and green) spinners and a few gibbs 2 & 3oz spoons. and I have a very large net, that I use for stripers.

question: there are similar spoons on ebay to the gibbs minow spoons (4"-5" 2-3 oz), but they are alot cheaper. they also have glow in the dark spoons if that makes a difference. are the gibbs minows the ones to buy or are look a likes ok?