PDA

View Full Version : Bank fishing the Klamath

LingSlayer
08-17-2005, 09:36 AM
Hello Sniffers,

I was wondering if I could get some help from anyone familiar with the mouth of the Klamath. I have been there a few times and I just can't seem to find any fish. I have tried blue fox spinners, beads and yarn, and roe. I have come to the conclusion that either this is a 'boats only' area or I am just in the wrong place.

Please, if I could get a heads up on a couple good spots to stand I would be forever grateful.

Thanx,
LS

Chetco_Indian
08-18-2005, 05:48 AM
LS If you take the south bank road until it starts up the hill.Park and take a walk to the end of the sand spit maybe a mile or so bring a backpack.If you go on the north bank take Requa Rd at Requa inn turn left go to the end of the road and walk to the mouth also take a backpck it's a ways to the mouth.If you go to panther creek rv park they rent boat&motor for $100.00 per day it's on Requa rd.Good Luck

tomaurand
08-18-2005, 08:27 AM
Also, make sure to follow the tides. You want to fish the incoming tide to high tide as that pushes the fish in.

LingSlayer
08-18-2005, 09:01 AM
Thanx for the heads up guys :D

I have looked at that sand bar stretching out there... looked like one heck of a walk last time I checked. But, if Chetco says thats the place to be, I will grab my hiking boots and a backpack and check it out.

Tomaurand, thanx for the advice about the tides. I would not have thought of that. I always thought getting there at the crack of dawn was the best time, regardless of the tide. Hopefully I will find a day when high tide coordinates with 5:30 am ;)

Tight lines,
LS

tomaurand
08-18-2005, 09:51 AM
No problem LS,
You'll know when its time as there will be no-one around then its like the flood gates open and the people swarm for the fish.
Personally I like to hike down to areas of the river and wade in after the salmon and steelies.

My wife and I will be there September 1st....Can't wait!

Chetco_Indian
08-19-2005, 06:53 AM
LS Be sure to take 3/4&1 oz copper kastmasters Dons gas just north of the Requa turnoff has them.This color used to work well on the Feather &American in the late 70s it works on the Chetco now.