PDA

View Full Version : Crawfish for Sturgie bait???

Doctor_Dan
03-05-2008, 02:53 PM
Has anyone experimented with crawfish for sturgeon bait? Up in the rivers, sloughs etc., they should be native. Wouldn't sturgeon eat them?
Might be a dumb question, but it seems logical to me.????
Dan

BIG_ONE
03-05-2008, 02:58 PM
its possible...they eat anything that is natural... ;)

striper_assasin
03-05-2008, 03:38 PM
not a silly question and yes they will.

lawski14
03-05-2008, 04:45 PM
Ive seen some of the old old local sturgeon pics and a few were off crawdads. i dont see why not. ive heard stories about sturgy pigs off the crawdad. but no, i have never tried it myself... yet. :o

animal
03-05-2008, 05:07 PM
you talk to people that live on house boats or at marinas 90% of them I bet will tell you they use craw solely , they are a great bait and are found by the thousand in lisbon slough , toedain all the water ways that the bypasses flood and the rivers too , very under rated bait but you need a craw trap no big deal there.
most of your drainage ditches have tons of craw fish.
very good for striper , trout, their best when they are in soft shell stage ;)

bigg_fishh
03-05-2008, 07:47 PM
Smelly Jelly crawdad scent works.

Jerrdirt
03-05-2008, 09:00 PM
break off the claws and throw em in there. ;)

DinoBlaster
03-05-2008, 11:21 PM
Used the mud bugs for years and for years I only catched catfish :-/

hellrazor
03-08-2008, 08:02 AM
Crawdads for sturgeon bait? Absolutely! One of my fishing partners has been a supplier of crawdads to bait stores throughout the valley for more than 25 yrs and we have been using them as bait for an equal amount of time and have found that the softshell crawdads, the ones recently molting, to be the most effective. Most often we use them in a cocktail that will include ghost shrimp and/or pile worms. Stripers also like crawdads as does just about every other fish in the water. Fishing with crawdads is like a box of chocolates: you never know what your gonna get. Swim Forest! Swim!

420bassgetter
03-08-2008, 10:19 PM
sorry to go of subject but where is lisbon slough. is it by prospect

animal
03-09-2008, 12:12 PM
lisbon slough used to run from west sac clear down to miner slough before they build the deep water channel in the early fifty's , when they built the channel they kept the water way "lisbon slough" but ran it rite next to the deep water channel all the way out and dumps into to cash & prospect , this new lisbon slough is also called "toe drain" if you saw it from the air it run's parallel with the deep water channel all the way to prospect or cash
good mud sharken in there, better when the "by pass" is open , the one on the levy road headed to woodland out of west sac ;)

animal
03-10-2008, 04:53 PM
:'(