PDA

View Full Version : 20lbs mono for sturgeon

FishingTone
02-28-2008, 11:55 AM
I'm currently running 25lbs P-Line on my reel and thinking about go down to 20. Which brands do you use?

Thanks,
Tone

NorKalkiller
02-28-2008, 12:40 PM
landed my first sturgeon on 20lb maxima 69" he wanted every bit of 300+ yards

swikmo
02-28-2008, 01:28 PM
I got my 85" well over 100 lbs on 20lb max.....is why is still rolll with it :-/ but have been toying with the idea of going back to braid now that I can gently lower my bait right smack dab in front of mr strugies nose ;D
With the new regs on them though I think I will always be running one reel with the 20lb max due to likeing a good challange now and then and to give them a decent chance to escape my clutches,besides...I catch most of my sturgeon striper fishing....lolz

I will always go with the green when in doubt ;)

swik

STURGEONSTOMPER
02-28-2008, 01:46 PM
I always run 25 stren. 2 90s, 6-8 84s and god knows what else...Its all yea realy need in there ;)

RENOBOYS
02-29-2008, 06:55 AM
After watching my compadre loose a HUGE fish on 30# braid, I will never use mono for sturgie.

We are all about catch and release, only keeping what we will eat. That goes for all varieties of the fish we catch.

Out the 8 sturgeon we caught last week, 3 or 4 were keepers, and we only kept one.

When I get the opportunity of hooking one, I want all the help getting him/her to the boat. Most likely, it will be swimming again

FishingTone
02-29-2008, 09:36 AM
Looks like P-Line & Maxima are the top 2 for mono user! Maxima will be on my spool when my old P-line getting ready to be change.

RENOBOYS,
I know braided line becomes the most popular fishing line now and probably the strongest line ever made for fishing! I started sturgeon fishing using 80lbs power pro braided line too, and I landed every single fishes I hooked into with braided line. I started to realize braided line taking the fun out of my fishing, so I switch to 40lbs P-Line mono, 30lbs, currently 25lbs and haven't lost a fish yet. Iím thinking about going down to 20lbs b/c itís a challenge for me!

Thanks everyone for putting your vote and commons!
Tone

RENOBOYS
02-29-2008, 09:41 AM
I like the challenge part also. We just don't get out as much as we would like to. That's my challenge, getting to fish for the Dinos or not.

Not too many sturgeon up by reno. At least I can never get them to bite!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

GoT HeeeeM
02-29-2008, 10:03 AM
CAJUN LINE IS THE BEST!! even though i use 20# trilene for sturgies, 15# cajun is on practically every other rod i have!

fusionstar
02-29-2008, 01:31 PM
I use BIG GAME 20/25/30 for pretty much all my sturgeon rigs. Haven't bothered to switch to braid on my sturgeon rod. Although it is on my salmon rod. I bank fish so a thin braid + 12oz = cut fingers and gloves.

I have tried p-line cxx(x?) 20lb but is kinda stiff for me but very strong.
Also the Maxima I tried 20lb and it was 2x as expensive as the big game. I kept it spooled for about a year then the I changed to the cheaper trilene albeit a nice smooth casting and strong line.

It will cost me
$26-36 to fill my spool with braid w/retail box
$16-19 for maxima spooled at tackle store b/c 250y box isn't enough ;3
$12-15 for p-line w/ retail box
$5-7 for big game with extra 140 +/- yards to spool my bass rod for swimbaits or jigs or for leaders.

I personally have pushed all these lines to the max when trying to unsnag or when there is a 10 foot tree branch on the end of the line flowing w/ the current ::). 12' ugly stick doubled over is an interesting sight. All these line are great. stick with what you like and how much your willing to pay.
I re-spool once a season with mono and the big game is strong and cheap so ill stick with that.

Haven't tried the other lines so I cant say.
Palomar knot to swivel and don't get spooled.

NorCal_Bangers
02-29-2008, 03:21 PM
if i ever fish 20# anymore which isnt that often...i use the CHEEPEST stuff they have...usually the 1/4 spool berkley...like 900 yrds for 7 bucks...20# mono if from a boat is WAY overkill..you flat out DO NOT NEED IT...if you know how to use the rod and reel.

i normally fish (when it was one rod) my avet mxj with 15# mono @ 300 + yrds...that is summer fishing when the water temps are up and i dont need the sensitivity of braid. i have yet to have a fish spool me and i have yet to pull anchor and i have landed fish of 83,87,85, tooooo many 70 and well they get smaller....my father landed a 93" on 20# mono and he is an old man...didnt have to pull anchor and didnt ever get him past half spool...(he did pass the rod..lol)

in the winter like right now i keep the 15# mono but back it off to about 250 yrds and spool up a 150 top shot of 30# braid...it is for the sensitivity.

look guys i am not saying that i am the next best thing to sliced bread when it comes to sturg fishing and catching...but have some CONFIDENCE in your own game and lose a few. if that is what it takes but i tell you this if you have the proper gear you should NEVER need more than 20# mono...

NCB

fishmaster
02-29-2008, 07:58 PM
I use 30lb Yozuri Hybrid. You can practically pull your boat under water with that stuff. My dad and I caught 2 sturgeon, a 97" and a 88" on the same poll with the same knots and didnt lose either one. Haven't re-tied the knots yet. Going to see how many I can Catch before it breaks. Used to use Trilene 25lb. Biggame. Not anymore.

sturgeon_dreamer
03-01-2008, 06:57 PM
25# big game. Its cheap on the pocket and very strong. Couple years ago I was fishing on the BLACK JOKE out of Islanton used to be a tug boat many years ago. I was in prospect fishing off this boat had a snag and I started pulling the black joke closer to the snag. Never switched since than. :o

dimpala95
03-01-2008, 11:19 PM
if i ever fish 20# anymore which isnt that often...i use the CHEEPEST stuff they have...usually the 1/4 spool berkley...like 900 yrds for 7 bucks...20# mono if from a boat is WAY overkill..you flat out DO NOT NEED IT...if you know how to use the rod and reel. *

i normally fish (when it was one rod) my avet mxj with 15# mono @ 300 + yrds...that is summer fishing when the water temps are up and i dont need the sensitivity of braid. *i have yet to have a fish spool me and i have yet to pull anchor and i have landed fish of 83,87,85, tooooo many 70 and well they get smaller....my father landed a 93" on 20# mono and he is an old man...didnt have to pull anchor and didnt ever get him past half spool...(he did pass the rod..lol)

in the winter like right now i keep the 15# mono but back it off to about 250 yrds and spool up a 150 top shot of 30# braid...it is for the sensitivity.

look guys i am not saying that i am the next best thing to sliced bread when it comes to sturg fishing and catching...but have some CONFIDENCE in your own game and lose a few. if that is what it takes but i tell you this if you have the proper gear you should NEVER need more than 20# mono...

NCB

I agree. I use #15 Big Game and have yet to be spooled or have to pull the anchor. The only time I go heavier is if I'm fishing a derby then I'll go #30. Make sure your drags are up to par. If they're sticky, do something about it. Get it replaced. Remember it's usually safe to set your drag at 25-30% of your line rating. Use a scale to make sure of your tension.

chris_fish
03-01-2008, 11:23 PM
cajun red,big game and yozuri hybrid is all i use.

FishingTone
03-03-2008, 09:54 AM
if i ever fish 20# anymore which isnt that often...i use the CHEEPEST stuff they have...usually the 1/4 spool berkley...like 900 yrds for 7 bucks...20# mono if from a boat is WAY overkill..you flat out DO NOT NEED IT...if you know how to use the rod and reel.

i normally fish (when it was one rod) my avet mxj with 15# mono @ 300 + yrds...that is summer fishing when the water temps are up and i dont need the sensitivity of braid. i have yet to have a fish spool me and i have yet to pull anchor and i have landed fish of 83,87,85, tooooo many 70 and well they get smaller....my father landed a 93" on 20# mono and he is an old man...didnt have to pull anchor and didnt ever get him past half spool...(he did pass the rod..lol)

NCB

I agree. I use #15 Big Game and have yet to be spooled or have to pull the anchor. The only time I go heavier is if I'm fishing a derby then I'll go #30. Make sure your drags are up to par. If they're sticky, do something about it. Get it replaced. Remember it's usually safe to set your drag at 25-30% of your line rating. Use a scale to make sure of your tension.

WOW, 15lbs test line for sturgeon :o [smiley=shocked.gif]? Now that is light for sturgeon there!
I known a few people including myself using 15lbs for salmon and striper but I would never thought for sturgeon.
Well, Iím going with 20lbs Maxima till I feel more confidence than maybe 17lbs not 15lbs yet.
Thanks everyone for sharing your experience!
Tone

lawski14
03-03-2008, 10:36 AM
I didnt know there were so many sniffers using light mono for sturgies... *very interesting, and here i was thinkin most sturgy people were on braid.

personally, i always use powerpro braid for that near zero stretch factor... *(50# or 65#) but before i switched over 4 yrs ago, i never had any problems catchin em with 20# big game trilene.

RENOBOYS
03-03-2008, 11:35 AM
15# mono just seems a little crazy to me. *I wish I could get out more to have the opportunities to catch more-- *Like all you pros.

I guess I am just jealous

fusionstar
03-04-2008, 08:03 AM
I have had 15lb big game trilene on with no problems, you will tire yourself out trying to unsnag it unless you pull straight. My dad said his first sturgeon the first time he came to America was caught on 12lb line with a pile worm fishing for stripers. Its just hard to toss 8oz+ sinkers with such light line. It would be perfect if you are on a boat cause you can drop anchor and chase. But this thread is about brands, so.. BG trilene :)

striper_assasin
03-04-2008, 12:01 PM
lmao 15 pound test is boat only.
you end up hooking a hog you are going to be spooled from the bank, and also there are times i am tossin 20 ounce weights out, there is no way you can toss that with 15 pound test.

lawski14
03-05-2008, 04:42 PM
you end up hooking a hog you are going to be spooled from the bank, and also there are times i am tossin 20 ounce weights out, there is no way you can toss that with 15 pound test.

I concur. But even with a 10oz or 12oz weight, its easy to snap the line with just one small mistake.

Never had that problem with 50 or 65lb moss green powerpro.

striper_assasin
03-05-2008, 05:08 PM
actually i have had mass probs with even 80 poun power pro.many snaped lines, which is why i never use that crap anymore.
sorry just have to trash on pp as much as possible cause of the bs i dealt with when trying there product.

lawski14
03-06-2008, 05:51 AM
For me, im always looking for what works for me. So far, the powerpro 65 has been great.

J.P., when you tried PP80#, was it before 3 yrs ago? because I believe they changed their line around their time. Its the improved version, because the older PP had a line cutting problem. FOr example, if I got snagged and pulled hard, the line on the spool would cinch up and put pressure on the line underneath, causing frays in the line and ultimately snapping when casting (even with a light sinker).

I know what you mean, but if you've tried PP within the last 3 yrs, and still the line snaps, then I see what you're sayin.

but for me, after the improvement, PP has been great for me. I also like the small diameter. For me, it lets me put more line in the spool and cast a little further.

Just my .02.

jester
03-08-2008, 08:37 AM
i use 17#and20#cajun for the dinos spooled on a garcia 6000 reel and a 6'6 ugly stick.i know it sounds a little on the small side but it makes for a hell of a battle.caught my biggest dino a 89"with the 17#.if your knots are solid and drag is set right in my opinion it's plenty.-----jester

dimpala95
03-08-2008, 09:54 AM
you end up hooking a hog you are going to be spooled from the bank, and also there are times i am tossin 20 ounce weights out, there is no *way you can toss that with 15 pound test.

You can toss out a #1 weight if you want. It's all about a shock leader, the line that actually takes the weight of the sinker during a cast.

A shock leader is a leader long enough so that half a dozen wraps of leader remain on the spool up to the moment you release the cast. The knot that joins the leader to the running line comes off the reel and goes through the guides during the cast. If that knot isn't on the spool and under a few wraps of line when you release the cast, it isn't a shock leader. Got that? If the running line's connected to the leader by a knot or barrel swivel that stays outside the tip, it's a leader, but not a shock leader. On a typical Long Island surf rod of ten or eleven feet, a shock leader is twenty feet long. Any longer than twenty feet and you'll disqualify your all-tackle striper record from consideration with the IGFA.

A shock leader protects the leader/line knot from the load of the cast by keeping it on the spool. A knot that's a few wraps down is well insulated from the stress of the cast, which is far more punishing to the knot then anything a fish might do.

The use of a shock leader is necessary when casting with the pendulum cast, a type of sidearm swing that's powered the casting record past 300 yards. Competition rules specify both running line (typically by diameter; twelve pound test is normal) and shock leader (ten pounds' test for each ounce of payload.) Casting competitions are standardized on 150 gr. sinkers, which are about 5 oz., and therefore require a 50 lb. shock leader. Use of a shock leader is mandatory when fishing with the pendulum cast, because the peak load comes with the sinker at right angles to the intended direction on release. A snapped line sends the sinker down the beach - very, very fast. One snapped-off sinker penetrated a wall of a 55 gallon drum, and I heard of another that killed a car radiator. The pendulum cast is another subject, but if you're trying it, you must use a shock leader.

dimpala95
03-08-2008, 04:33 PM
One thing I see that has not been mentioned is some companies under rate their line. P-Line and Maxima are a few that are known to do so. What is under rating? It is where the manufacturer purposely rates their line lower than it's actual breaking test. These lines will disqualify you from an IGFA record should you be so inclined. I personally would rather buy a line that breaks right at the rated test instead of over. That way you are better informed and can set up your gear accordingly. I guess under rated is better than over rated where the line breaks at less than stated.

CraigVM62
03-08-2008, 07:46 PM
When fishing for oversize on the Columbia from the boat,, I use 100 lb ProLine. I have these delusions of hooking into a 13+ footer and want the odds in my favor of getting it to the boat for quick photo. :o

NorCal_Bangers
03-08-2008, 08:18 PM
shock leader smock leader.... ;) ;) ;)

but DON IS 100% accurate!!!!!!!!!!!!

i dont use one (except that occasional surf striper mission) but if used properly he is right you can cast a 1 lb ball with 12 # test...your rod might not like it and you might break your wrist but your 12# wont snap....

my rule of thumb is this and it is most (not all) line manufacturers rule is your line should with stand 3 times the breaking strenght of the weight...ie...15# line should be able to handle a 45# fish NO PROBLEM WITHOUT FAILURE...going above and beyod that is all the REEL DRAG and PROPER ROD MATCHED TO THAT...

most people under estimate the vlave of MATCHING LINE STRENGHT TO ROD....people that is why they list the rods LINE WEIGHT...ther is a right and wrong way to fish them....my go to sturgeon rods are rated 1) 15-25-30 i only fish 20# mono with this rod...2)12-25 i with fish this rod with 15-17# mono..

i have them matched and it would take for ever to explain the reasons but SETTING YOUR GEAR up properly is almost 70% of landing the fish the other 30% is YOU.

NCB

ghostfish_slayer
03-08-2008, 08:32 PM
last min. trip decision.. i am going right now for the first time. 2.5 hour drive away from fishing.. we are banking it, i am taking my 12-25, 11 foot surf rod/ penn 704z with 300 yards of 50 lb braid and also my 12-25, 7- 1/2 foot boat rod with avet sx5.1 with 65 lb braid.. it's just what i have on short notice.. hope to catch my first keeper.. i will be back tomorrow night sometime..

dimpala95
03-08-2008, 11:16 PM
last min. trip decision.. i am going right now for the first time. 2.5 hour drive away from fishing.. we are banking it, i am taking my 12-25, 11 foot surf rod/ penn 704z with 300 yards of 50 lb braid and also my 12-25, 7- 1/2 foot boat rod with avet sx5.1 with 65 lb braid.. it's just what i have on short notice.. hope to catch my first keeper.. i will be back tomorrow night sometime..

Kenny, believe it or not but a long surf rod is really detrimental to fishing, especially for big fish. You give up too much leverage to the fish. I'm not saying you can't land a big fish but you have to work harder. The only real reason for a long rod is casting distance.

Good luck Bro.

fusionstar
03-09-2008, 10:02 PM
Long distances is what is needed off some banks. Long rods are cumbersome but I don't think it is detrimental to big fish. As a matter of fact, the longer the rod, the more shock absorption you get from hard running fish.