PDA

View Full Version : How to Donate White Sturgeon Eggs for Research

Marty Gingras
03-06-2008, 01:53 PM
Hi all,

Thanks for your positive responses about donating black-colored (i.e., mature) white sturgeon eggs for local research. *Now that we know you are interested, we've got a process for receiving your donations.

We are only interested in getting eggs from wild fish caught and killed legally by anglers. *We can't deal with live fish.

All you need to do is remove about a pound of whole ovary with black mature eggs, put it in a ziplock bag with a label, freeze it, and swing it by one of two DFG offices. *

We need the label to include the location, date, and size of the fish. *You can just write it on the bag with permanent marker or put a waterproof label inside the bag. *

The offices are Stockton and Rancho Cordova. *

The Stockton address is 4001 N. Wilson Way. *The phone is (209) 948-7800. *We are just of HWY 99 near the now-retired paved oval race track. *The office staff will know what to do with the eggs you bring. *I'll be the contact person for the time being.

The Rancho Cordova office is at 1701 Nimbus Road. *The phone is (916) 358-2900. *The contact person is Jeff Rodzen.

The research you are facilitating will do several things. *One of the big things is to develop a process to identify illegal caviar from legal caviar, so we can do more to stop the illegal trade in white sturgeon.

Thanks

Marty Gingras
Supervising Biologist (Fisheries)
California Department of Fish and Game
Bay Delta Region
4001 North Wilson Way
Stockton, California *95205

Phone (209) 948-3702
email * mgingras@dfg.ca.gov

Kid_Gambit
03-08-2008, 04:10 PM
Hi Marty,
I manage one of the farms in the valley that grows sturgeon. I'm wondering if you are doing DNA research for identification purposes only or are trying to find any other data. Have you obtained eggs from commercial facilites fro comparison? do you work with UC Davis on these projects? Just curious :-? I live and breathe sturgeon, hence my intrest! KG

Marty Gingras
03-09-2008, 08:21 AM
...Have you obtained eggs from commercial facilites fro comparison? do you work with UC Davis on these projects...

Hi all,

I'm just helping DFG's Jeff Rodzen with this egg-collection effort. He's a geneticist-type working with various laboratories on a number of issues.

For example, they want to see if they can identify caviar from wild sturgeon versus farm-raised sturgeon, using characters like lipid and metals content. Because illegal caviar is an inter-state and inter-national issue, this has broad implications.

He's also hooked up with UC Davis people interested in various white sturgeon reproductive research projects.

Thanks

Marty Gingras
Supervising Biologist (Fisheries)
California Department of Fish and Game
Bay Delta Region
4001 North Wilson Way
Stockton, California 95205

Phone (209) 948-3702
FAX (209) 946-6355
email mgingras@dfg.ca.gov