PDA

View Full Version : A few ? about leaders.

JPFX
03-04-2008, 04:14 PM
I was reading some of the topics in the info section at the top and it made me think of these questions.
1. I read that most leaders are in the 30-36" range. Why is that if they are bottom feeders?
2. Another post said that if the current is moving really fast, to put a 1oz weight near the bait, to keep the bait on the bottom.
I'm trying to picture this in my head, but isn't the faster the current - the more closer to the bottom the bait will be?
Thanks!

Craig
03-04-2008, 04:20 PM
As for question #1, I would say that most leaders are 30-36 inches so that the Sturgeon will have some room to roll. *If the leader is too short, it's gonna roll into your line and your gonna lose the fish. *

I have no idea on question #2. *I have never used a 1 oz. sinker to keep my leader on the bottom in strong current. *Maybe I need to start using one. *We'll see what kind of replies get posted.

animal
03-04-2008, 05:49 PM
Hey JPFX ?2 in fast water the bait sometimes will lift off the bottom,and even twirl depending on the bait shape, or weight or if its still frozen a little
I use a sliding 1/2oz inline weight on my steel leaders about a foot from the bait , and use a compresion sleeve to stop it

lol i love the modify option

Jeremiah_Claar
03-04-2008, 06:14 PM
The rule is simple for me... i use short leaders (12-18in) in rivers, long leaders in deep waters or bays (24-36in). But, all of my leaders have a 1/2 - 1oz slider to keep the bait down regardless if i think it needs it or not. I used to fish without the slider and the same size leaders everywhere. Needless to say my catch rates or even bite rates were not that frequent. Now, i get more bites and catch twice as many fish than before (albeit most are shakers!) but, at least im catching fish. I still have much to learn as well, and thats why i read this forum daily!

kooldadj510
03-04-2008, 06:36 PM
in chapter 2 of the states regulation on fishing in inland water says that it is unlawfull to use any hook which is directy or indirectly attached closer than 18" to any weight exceeding 1/2 oz

mtperez
03-04-2008, 07:41 PM
I use a big split shot on my leaders about 6" above the hook also my leaders i make my self with 80lb mono are about 24" long never had any problems with this set up.

Jeremiah_Claar
03-04-2008, 07:46 PM
So is it illegal to use 1oz. hair raisers? The weight is right on the hook. Or is this something that only applies to bait rigs? Ive always been told no more than 1oz but nothing about an 18in. rule. Ive also fished quite a few charters for sturgies and they all used 1oz sliders with no stopper 18in. before the hook. I also assume inland waters is east of the Carquinez bridge. If this is the case we fished the MBF with the same rigs several times on charters illegally? Please elaborate so i dont get caught up.

kooldadj510
03-04-2008, 08:10 PM
i got that info from the 07-08 california sport fishing regulations, you can down load it online. it talks about the bay and delta waters in there but i couldnt say for sure you would have to read it for yourself. maybe someone who knows for sure could let us all know

Know_Excuses
03-04-2008, 08:57 PM
in chapter 2 of the states regulation on fishing in inland water says that it is unlawfull to use any hook which is directy or indirectly attached closer than 18" to any weight exceeding 1/2 oz

This has been gone over here a hundred times,It doesnt apply from above the carquinez bridge to another bridge up north, I forget where, you can put your wieght on the bottom of your rig or 1" from it if you want in the delta.

BIG_ONE
03-05-2008, 01:51 AM
rule for leaders...18" is the minimum lenght your leader have to be...not sure about the weight attached by the hook, but the minimum lenght for your leader is 18" for sure...positive

kooldadj510
03-05-2008, 06:33 PM
man you delta guys got it good, two poles and no weight restrictions.
so can you use 2 poles in the MBF area then?

dimpala95
03-08-2008, 09:20 AM
Here's the skinny, no rumors, straight from 2007-08 CDF&G freshwater regs

1.93. Weight
Any object directly or indirectly attached to a
fishing line with the purpose of casting or sinking
a lure or bait. 1.71 for definition of the Delta), and the Colorado
River).
1. No person shall use any single hook with a
gap greater than 1 inch or any multiple hook
with a gap greater than 3/4 inch.
2. It is unlawful to use any hook which is
directly or indirectly attached closer than 18
inches to any weight exceeding 1/2 ounce.
3. It is unlawful to use any multiple hook or
more than one single hook on non-buoyant
lures exceeding one ounce. 4. It is unlawful to use any weight directly
attached below a hook.
(c) Maximum Gaps for the Sacramento-San
Joaquin Delta (see Section 1.71 for definition
of the Delta). 1. No person shall use any single hook with a
gap greater than inch or any multiple hook
with a gap greater than 3/4 inch.