PDA

View Full Version : Freeport/Clarkesburgh

Matt_G
03-03-2008, 09:57 AM
Hello All, Been reading theese boards for the last year or so, and finally decided to register!! I am new to Sturgeon fishing this year, but not to the Sac. Got skunked 3 times last week out at clarkesburgh using ghost shrimp and pile worms. Fished early one morning down river from the boat ramp towards Merit Landing, fished up river a couple miles up at night with nothing to show. Very Frustrated at this point. Using 50lb Gorilla line 3 foot 30lb test steel leeders. Dropping off of the side of the boat with 8oz balls and hitting the bottom. Any advice to help get some fish on the lines?

RENOBOYS
03-03-2008, 10:19 AM
We actually cast our lines out a ways. I think that this helps keep the bait on the bottom. It is crucial to have your bait on the bottom. Ghost/Pile is a good combo, I prefer Ghost/Grass combo my self. I believe that the minimum for a leader is 18". Correct me if I am wrong, but I am pretty sure that is the minimum. The closer the bait is to the hook, the closer to the bottom it is. We fish down by Pittsburg. We used to fish Decker Isl. Power Lines, haven't had luck up there, but many people do.

Good Luck!! As soon as you hook one, keeper or not, you will be hooked for life

GoT HeeeeM
03-03-2008, 09:12 PM
went out today again after weekend trips were cancelled via wind conditions...had ghost as bait for nothin but a couple of taps all day...fished several areas, saw one smaller one and a 64' caught...lots of jumpers!!

as for advice MATT G, i'd say keep trying and it'll happen for you...instead of ball weights try the pyramid 8oz..also try huggin the bank about 15 yards off instead of anywhere in the middle...we marked alot of fish today right on the bank line..

*Deltadog*
03-04-2008, 07:58 AM
Dude, you've got to put in lots of hours and $$ to catch a fish. Especially if your fishing off the bank. I reckon I put in over 1,000 hours and $500 in bait and the same in gas before I got my first one. Be patient, it will happen.
Dog

Matt_G
03-04-2008, 01:20 PM
Thanks guys!! I know there close ... wait for some pics!!

Jerrdirt
03-04-2008, 09:37 PM
Plus don't fall asleep on your rod if you're fishing at night. ;D

WesternStriper
03-04-2008, 11:06 PM
You can try the road 45 area near Clarksburg. If you seen 10 to 15 cars on the side of the road *then that is the place. The water dept there is so deep. Just today some fellow fishermen next to me caught two keeper dino, within the hour of 4:30 PM to 7:30 PM, best time to catch dino ( depend on the moon is at, tide change diffrently with the full moon to a no moon. So check w/ bait shop for detail on tide change ). They use eel and pile worm or night crawler, combo. Cast it to the middle. I seen they use a 10 oz, weight w/ a long 80 lbs. briad line, none steel. The weather was calm and warm, but lots of grass or debris sticking on the line. Hope it help you a bit to catch your first dino.

CDK_Nukka
03-05-2008, 05:10 PM
I'm assuming the terms "fellow fishermen" he was talking more than one person.

WesternStriper
03-05-2008, 06:51 PM
Yes, there is three of them. They have the dino in possession so they would of kept it.

GCinGV
03-06-2008, 08:46 AM
Id go with a heavier leader. I use to use 27# steel and its plenty strong enough but not very durable especially if you add a sliding weight to the leader itself. A lot more margin for error with 40 or 60# steel and even it will break if you get a kink or flaw.
GC