PDA

View Full Version : Best time and Tides? Weather??

wood2turn
03-02-2008, 05:08 PM
I'm sure this has been covered before but since my search came up empty I figured I'd ask it again...

Do most of you find you get more fish (in the Delta NOT the rivers) during the outgoing tides? *
I was going to ask about the time of day but since we have a "Night Closure" here the question would be moot.

Terry B.

RENOBOYS
03-02-2008, 07:07 PM
Lately all of our fish have been caught on the incoming, or at the slack between incoming and the start of the out

animal
03-02-2008, 08:33 PM
three weeks or so ago we had a three fish day in prospect slough thats part of cache i think , two on low slack, one shaker & lost one big one, spit the owner hook back at us, and one on incoming 56 inch" all on shad

I smoked the 56" my god was it good gotta remember that brine. ill try to post the pics if i can figure how that goes, im new to this forum thing :-/

ps i forgot the striped bass about 10 pounds shad also ;)

wood2turn
03-03-2008, 05:31 PM
Wow...I would've thought the OUTgoing would have been the one. I was figuring they'd swim with the current out, feed, and then proceed back up with the In. Guess I go it backwards...no need for me to wait for the huge outgoing tidal flows then.

Now...If you all will allow me to expand this thread slightly.

To what extent have you noticed the weather effecting the bite? I mean...if there's a low front (storm) about to come in have you noticed a better than avg. bite = more fish? I know this has worked for me in the past when I'm fishing for other species.

Terry B.

Seon
03-03-2008, 06:12 PM
* *Now...If you all will allow me to expand this thread slightly.

To what extent have you noticed the weather effecting the bite? ...
Terry B.

Too techincal for me. *I just go out to fish and enjoy the day *;) ;D

BTW all my Dinos were caught in the outgoing tide *8-).

RENOBOYS
03-03-2008, 06:34 PM
We caught the last 8 on the incoming, and in the middle of a storm. Don't get out enough to get that technical--- Like Seon says, just go out and enjoy the day. I would think water temp has more to do w/ it than pressure.

Tides & Temp-- thats my vote

kooldadj510
03-03-2008, 07:07 PM
i have read about it and the barometric pressure does effect the fish and there bite, but all species, i realy dont know. from my own experience this theory works for sturgeon as well. when there is a low pressure the bite seems to be better and then very slow when theres a strong high pressure system lingering. one sniffer told me that a high pressure system is a good thing for sturgeon but he would not say anything else about it. :-?
and also read that the pressure stays the same in deeper water, it is not effected by barometric pressure, so if theres a strong high pressure and the bite is slow or none at all try deeper water, couldnt hurt.
look how the RENOBOYS did when they were down here. they frickin killed em and it was rt before and in the begining of a big storm (deep low pressure system). and also by reading the other post some are catching them on low and others on high. so i think it realy comes down to, if they wanna bite they do.
dont know if that helped but thats what i got to say about that

animal
03-03-2008, 07:15 PM
[quote author=wood2turn link=1204506529/0#3 date=1204594260] Wow...I would've thought the OUTgoing would have been the one. I was figuring they'd swim with the current out, feed, and then proceed back up with the In. Guess I go it backwards...no need for me to wait for the huge outgoing tidal flows then.

i think your right that they move and feed with the water, but im sure they feed going either direction . then you got the rivers that never turn with the tide but they are still affected by the tide, so on incoming ther water will be a lot slower and if i was a fish that would be when i would move up and feed ;)

CaptBrandon
03-03-2008, 07:51 PM
I honestly don't think one tide reigns over the other. I generally like the incoming tide better but have been catching the most fish at slack tide lately, with a strong bite at the top of outgo. There's so much luck when it comes to fishing i usualy don't even pay to much attention to the tides. Your gonna be out there fishing on what ever day and time that fits you scheduale, as far as the tide goes it is what is. You do need movement for the most part i've only been skunked sturgeon fishing twice in my whole life and both days were very weak tides. I like 3 or more feet of change. Mostly with sturgeon its not a waiting game i burn lots of gas, their biteing or i'm moving.

animal
03-03-2008, 08:56 PM
[quote author=fish_coming_down link=1204506529/0#8 date=1204602667] You do need movement for the most part i've only been skunked sturgeon fishing twice in my whole life and both days were very weak tides. /quote]

that is truly an impressive record !!!
how many in your party on average ?? I aim humbled at that record and feeling very unworthy :'(

bigg_fishh
03-04-2008, 09:46 AM
There are best tides for certain spots but not best tides overall.For me its more about the size of the tides not the direction.