PDA

View Full Version : stugeon fishing in columbia

murky_waters
02-28-2008, 08:00 AM
looking to go stugeon fishing mid june up at the columbia. *interested in any suggestions,, *lodging, bait, regs., etc. have 21 ft. northriver to break in.

metalmouth
02-28-2008, 08:15 AM
?Where abouts on the Columbia? It's a pretty long river. Bring lots of weight. You will need cannon balls from 32 to 48 oz. and in some cases up to 4lbs. just to get down to the bottom.
Line: 100# Tuf Line
Leader: 135# Dacron, 4
Hooks: 8/0 to 9/0 Gami, single hook, barbless
Swivel: #1, 100lb. Snap.

MM

NRSCOUT
02-28-2008, 09:01 AM
Murky Waters

I have fished the Columbia many times and have caught many sturgeon in those waters. MM is correct with his tackle list. A lot depends on the outflow. Sometimes there is hardly any current and a pound or less will work and other times it can take 3,4,5lbs. If your'e trying to go for the really big guys you might consider using shad in the 3,4lbs size. There are huge fish everywhere in that river. We have caught ours below Bonneville on the south side. If you want to catch fish in the 5,6,7ft range fish west of the Klickitat river (mouth) on the North side. We drift salmon roe just off the bottom there. We have had 20 fish days doing that. It's lots of fun!!!

Catching those monster fish is something everyone needs to do once in there life. OK maybe a few more times than that, but I will say it doesn't take long when fighting a couple of those monsters you wonder why you are doing this to yourself. It hurts!!!

These are of course just a few places along a huge river system that holds a tremendous population of dinos. I believe with a little knowledge about sturgeon fishing you will have a good chance of catching fish wherever you decide to fish.

GOOD LUCK, KEEP A LOOSE DRAG, HOLD ON, and HAVE FUN.

Let us know what happens.

NRSCOUT

metalmouth
02-28-2008, 10:17 AM
One of the biggest things to consider is your anchor set up. 300 feet of line, and anchor buoy, quick release, and a proper anchor are really a necessity for holding in the big water.

RENOBOYS
02-29-2008, 06:47 AM
holy crap-- we have been talking about making a trip up there, but I would have had no idea about that tackle list.

thanks for the info, I will add that to the shopping list

fishguts
02-29-2008, 07:49 AM
Book a guide and insist on using your boat, they will work with ya.

chiselchest
03-01-2008, 04:28 AM
Book a guide and insist on using your boat, they will work with ya.
As far as a guide, I'd highly recommend Dan Ponciano, at www.columbiariverfishing.com

I've fished with him 6-times, and we're going back in the middle of May. Great guy, great guide. Him or "Sturgeon Frank" I think it is...

CraigVM62
03-02-2008, 11:05 PM
I have gone out with Dan a few times, along with 6 other guides on the Columbia..
The best value I have found is Kyle Battisti. If you do a search on ebay for "Columbia River Fishing" he often has auctions for a full day trip for 2 people. His opening price now is $130 which they often go for. The price jumps up to around $180 as we get closer to sturgeon season.
I have gone out with him once and found him on par with the best of the others.

chapparal
03-03-2008, 04:34 PM
Six of us went up to the Columbia last June and we rebooked that day for this June. This time for two days -6/14 & 6/15. I didnt know a thing about the fishing up there but I learned a lot. We went to Astoria and caught 7 keepers and 25 sub-leagl (no oversized) thats 6 of us in 7 hours=32 fish. Missed some bites had a couple ldr. There are some things you need to know befor you go. We fished 3-6 ft deep with 8 oz. Used frozen -well-dead, anchovy, whole. The river is very tricky, you need a large bouy on yer anchor and a sober captain.
Go to this guys site "kevin Newell" watch his video-it is a must see! Also check out his pictures-he dosent need to lie. A keeper in that streach is 45" - 60" and the season ends in late June.(me-thinks). I believe that time of year is closed to the retention on sturgeon up past Portland, but catch and release is always open. Thats where the bigins are.
Any one thinking about a trip up there should do it. Astoria is beautiful and airfair to Portland is cheap.