PDA

View Full Version : over sised

JohnB
02-29-2008, 10:08 AM
Went out yester day to go fish for sturgeon and stopped to get bait and there is a guy weighing in an over sized fish. the guy at the counter is telling me that he has people bringing in over sized fish all week long, so after I get my bait I am driving down the river road and there is another guy bringing a 70 + inch fish to his truck. I am hoping that they crack down on these guys they are keeping everything that they catch.

Killer2
02-29-2008, 10:33 AM
The dfg won't know until you tell them.
The number is on the back of your fishing license.

ZACK
02-29-2008, 10:44 AM
Yeah,
make the call. You don't have to get into a confrontation trying to be a hero just get a cell phone pic if possible of them with their fish along with a pic of their license plate. You owe it to yourself and the sturgeon to report em. ZACK!

GoT HeeeeM
02-29-2008, 11:37 AM
Went out yester day to go fish for sturgeon and stopped to get bait and there is a guy weighing in an over sized fish. *the guy at the counter is telling me that he has people bringing in over sized fish all week long, so after I get my bait I am driving down the river road and there is another guy bringing a 70 + inch fish to his truck. I am hoping that they crack down on these guys they are keeping everything that they catch.

i would think that the guy at the counter could get in alot of trouble for letting it go on, along with all those doosh bags who keep everything they catch!

RENOBOYS
02-29-2008, 12:07 PM
That is seriously messed up!!!! I would think that a reputable bait shop would not allow that, or endorse it whatsoever. What are they going to do, take a picture and put it on their wall advertising that they allow it??

That is screwed up!! What bait shop is it, so I know where not to spend my money

RENOBOYS
02-29-2008, 12:08 PM
Hey JohnB--- Did you catch anything?? If not, it is probably because people like that are taking all the breeding stock

Think about it that way

JohnB
02-29-2008, 12:30 PM
I called on the guy on the river road and they told me that they would send someone out, as for the bait shop He tells DFG but he has to protect his store so canít say anything to them. I donít know if you have seen some of the guys that fish the river road but there are a few that are trouble and would defenitly come back and shoot or beat on him. If I am in my boat and I see someone poaching I very kindly ask them to leave ok not to kindly but it usually works. I do not think there is enough DFG wardens out there, I have sat and waited at nimbus many times after calling on snagers but no one ever shows up.

GoT HeeeeM
02-29-2008, 12:40 PM
what bait shop is it? i'll call DFG myself and report that crap...those fish are too important to our future fishery to just brush it off...

JohnB
02-29-2008, 12:55 PM
The owner of the bait shop has already tipped DFG off. Trust me it really pisses me off, I fish 100% legal and only keep a very small amount of fish, and I still have not hooked one DINO this year.

crowbar1
02-29-2008, 01:10 PM
Please inform the dfg about what you heard form the bait shop. You don't need to tell them your name...

JohnB
02-29-2008, 01:22 PM
I called them a few minutes ago and they have had more than a few calls on that area. I also called the bait store to make sure that he will have shrimp in the morning ,and he was telling me he calls all the time and a few of these guys are getting busted due to he takes lic #s off their cars.

fusionstar
02-29-2008, 01:59 PM
wait... tip of nose to split v of tail or tip of nose to end of tail?

What is the correct way to measure them. I've always released them since I'm to lazy to butcher 50-100lbs of meat. Ill keep the striper 18+ and the catfish that happen to take my ghost/pile. Cause bait and gas is expensive.

RENOBOYS
02-29-2008, 02:05 PM
tip of nose to tip of tail--

REPORT THE OVERSIZE POACHERS!!!

DUNNIGAN JIM
02-29-2008, 08:16 PM
Yup tip of nose to tip of tail . The warden that measured mine today said to lay it on it's side and measure in a straight line . He was doing his job today in the Montezuma. Glad to see them out .

HUND
02-29-2008, 08:48 PM
Who keeps fish without knowing the size limit [smiley=smiley_crazy.gif]

Afishinado
02-29-2008, 09:10 PM
IT realy Rubs me the wrong way when I hear about idiots keeping oversize fish. befor I cought mine today. I have cought and released four oversized and about six undersized this year . and just to think that some of the oversized fish they keep might be some of the ones I let go realy F%&# pisses me off. I dont think twice about calling Caltip. Gabe

ZACK
03-01-2008, 10:44 AM
Who keeps fish without knowing the size limit *[smiley=smiley_crazy.gif]

;D :D ;D :D :P

striper_assasin
03-01-2008, 11:11 AM
DFG needs to start doinhg steakouts!!
start watching southriver road across from millerpark!!!!!!!!!!!
and freeport down to hood also!
there are a ton of other area's, but these spots are being raped right now and the next couple months!!

B-RAN
03-01-2008, 02:36 PM
report poachers ;)

Luke
03-01-2008, 07:22 PM
So what is the name of this bait shop that allows illegal take to be weighed in at his premis.

Luke
03-01-2008, 07:23 PM
Who keeps fish without knowing the size limit *[smiley=smiley_crazy.gif]

;D :D ;D :D :P
People that should be shot..
Luke

fishmaster
03-01-2008, 07:25 PM
Maybe if the penalties for poaching were more than just a slap on the wrist people would be more inclinded to obey the law. Turn the sons a #@%#'s in. STUPID POACHERS

lawski14
03-02-2008, 06:04 AM
No disrespect, but if the baitstore owner was weighing their fish for them, what is he thinking?

If he's really calling DFG, he shouldnt even let those idiots bring the fish in the store.

He should have a sign on the front stating "No fish outside the slot limit are allowed in this store. No exceptions!"

I dont know which store you are referring to, and its okay not to mention it here on the forum in order to protect the guy.... but im pretty sure its not Freeport Bait as i did see some guy bring in an undersize there once a few years ago, and Johnny told him get the fish outta here and put it back in the water.

Good for him.

Marty Gingras
03-02-2008, 07:00 AM
...Maybe if the penalties for poaching were more than just a slap on the wrist people would be more inclinded to obey the law...

Hi all,

Due to the recent chaptering of AB 1187 (DeSaulnier, with Cogdill and others), the penalties for certain types of sturgeon poaching have changed for the better in the last 12 months or so.

Fish and Game Code Section 7370 says in part that, "... it is prima facie evidence that a sturgeon, or parts thereof, is possessed for commercial purposes if the possession of sturgeon is more than two times the sport bag limit ..."

Fish and Game Code Section 12006 says in part, "... The punishment for a violation of Section 7370 is a fine of not less than five thousand dollars ($5,000), or more than ten thousand dollars ($10,000), imprisonment in a county jail not to exceed one year, or both the fine and imprisonment ..." *There is also more here about a judge's discretion and loss of licenses, equipment and such.

These are MAJOR enhancements to the penalties for harvest in excess of the bag and possession limits. *There are monetary penalties on top of fines, so the total dollar penalty is bigger (way bigger) that Fish and Game Code reads. *Turn in the bad guys and --- assuming the local District Attorney is on-board --- they are going to be faced with the probability of serious punishment.

Spread the word.

Thanks

Marty Gingras
Supervising Biologist (Fisheries)
California Department of Fish and Game
Bay Delta Region
4001 North Wilson Way
Stockton, California *95205

Phone (209) 948-3702
FAX * * (209) 946-6355
email * mgingras@dfg.ca.gov

metalmouth
03-02-2008, 07:07 AM
Thanks Marty, I know you guys are way under staffed but it's nice to see some penalties with teeth!

MM

HUND
03-02-2008, 07:48 AM
That will leave a hole in your wallet !

RENOBOYS
03-02-2008, 07:31 PM
In Nv if a poacher is caught, depending on the severity, there are monetary and personal punishments. They can start taking any of you gear, including boats, trucks, tackle, guns (in the case of hunting)-- all kinds of punishment.

Who has the "Cal-tip" phone #?? Is that what it is called??

rtandersen
03-02-2008, 08:48 PM
Marty
Thanks for the input on the fines. I think if they would give them a fine starting at $5,000 and go higher plus lose their gear and their license maybe they would think twice about it.
It would be nice to see their name be put in a national data base so if they applied for license they could not get one.

JohnB
03-03-2008, 10:08 AM
Went down the river road on Saturday and noticed that the DFG was out watching these guys. There was a ton of people and only DFG so I donít know if he catches to many of these dirt bag's.