PDA

View Full Version : preference

SetTheHookMinistry
02-22-2008, 07:06 PM
i know the atvantage goes to holdin the rod but do you really have to. just a rook tryin to learn.... thanks

beldenbill
02-22-2008, 07:30 PM
No you don't. Just watch your rod tip and be close enough to set the hook when it goes down and before it comes back up.

Luke
02-22-2008, 07:47 PM
No you don't. Just watch your rod tip and be close enough to set the hook when it goes down and before it comes back up.
Words of wisdom right there. :)

SetTheHookMinistry
02-22-2008, 08:19 PM
i appreciate the wisdom fellas

NorCal_Bangers
02-22-2008, 08:57 PM
nope...i have never held my rod...there have been times that i have been tempted to but i alway feel goofy when i do..i will tell myself "ok, hold the pole..." and after a min of holding it waiting for a bite i always put it back down as say that is just PLAIN STUPID!!!!!!!!

half the time when a fish hits it and you are or arnt holding it it is such a shock that you dont react quick enough to set it anyways...i mean that is the whole point....you dont have a camera on the hook so how do you know when your gonna get a hit...weather your holding it or not..it just comes out of the blue and there is NO WAY to time it. now with that said i do feel there are ways to anticipate a hit and i do feel that i have seen things that tell me if a fish is near by and feeding but i still cant with 100 percent confidence say "oh yea right NOW its gonna hit my bait" when i see what i am speaking of it just lets me know a little ahead of the curve and i set up on the rod or get near it and make ready.

NCB

wet_biker
02-22-2008, 09:07 PM
My rod is 99% in a rod holder. I set hook on second bite. Great thing about having stripers around. If you do miss the fish it could have just been a striper ;)

SetTheHookMinistry
02-23-2008, 07:38 AM
great info! i appreciate the replies and i guess ill put my poles in the holders and try not to go cross eyed!! ha ha

GCinGV
02-23-2008, 08:36 AM
530Fisher,
Check out the equipment threads on the top of this board and the Striper board for rod balancers. They can make a huge difference in seeing the bites. Just have to be careful a fish doesnít take off with your rod when itís on one. Either tie the rod off with a lanyard or stay on top of it at all times.

I only hold my rod if the boat is swinging a lot from the wind or when getting a lot of soft, single hits otherwise itís on the balancer. Nor Cal, I know exactly what you mean, seems like half the time Iím not ready for it when the rod is in may hand.
GC

GreatWhiteHunter
02-23-2008, 09:47 AM
I'm still workin on my first Sturgy. I can't ever bring myself to set the pole down. It is always in my hand and I say to myself "any second." I dont get to fish the delta to much and I just dont want to miss even a shaker. ;D ;D I could honestly sit there with pole in hand and watch my tip for 10 hours staright 8-) Hasnt caught my anymore fish, but Im just that kinda fisherman ;)

hellrazor
02-26-2008, 03:09 AM
I have been fishing for sturgeon for the better part of twenty years and have used a rod holder and have held the rod, too. My earlier years I always held my rod because I wanted to feel every nuance of the bite. As it turned out the bite was more like a frieght train than a bump. I should mention that I have caught all of my fish above Grimes all the way to Butte City and from what I hear is the bite on the delta is much more subtle at times. In either case I believe you can do it either way as long as you can control yourself. If you feel the fish pulling then obviously the fish has it in their mouth and that is the best you will ever get because you will never gut-hook a sturgeon. At least I never have and I have caught my share. The bumping of your line is not the time to set the hook. One thing for sure is that when you are holding the rod for hours on end while trying to think like a sturgeon your shoulders and arms will be knotted up for several days after your fishing trip. It didn't stop me but I dont have that same intensity as I did when I first started. Here is the truth of the matter: if you land your fish you will be convinced that what you did was OK and if you lose your fish you will second guess yourself regardless of whether you are holding the rod or leaving it in a rod holder. Just have a good time and dont second guess yourself. One thing I have found that seems to help is an offering or a sacrifice the the Almighty Fish Gods! Can I get a witness from the congregation? Hallelujiah!!

Seon
02-26-2008, 08:31 AM
...half the time when a fish hits it and you are or arnt holding it it is such a shock that you dont react quick enough to set it anyways...i mean that is the whole point....

Never, repeat, never stand behind my wife when fishing. *She'll set her pole so hard, that it'll rip off the person's head who's standing behind her :o . *She truely believes in holding the pole and setting it as hard as she can. The shock look on her face always cracks me up.
So funny watching *;D ;D

BTW I went fishing with Jethrofsn who made balancers that I used. I was so impressed with how they worked that I made a couple. *I also bought a plastic "D" ring that I attached to the rod with velcro. I also bought a length of lanyard that I attach one end on the boat rail and the other end I attached a plastic "key clip" to the lanyard and that clips on the "D" ring. With a flick of your thumb, you unhook the clip from the 'D' ring which eleminate any restriction that the lanyard present, thus allowing you to cast and/or fight the fish.

That's my assurance that the rod/reel does not drop into the drink *;).

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1600/687113/18738096/305997753.jpg

animal
02-26-2008, 06:39 PM
530 fisher
I would recommend that you come up with a balancer of some kind or copying someones . lol witch brings me to - "my first sturgeon story" this happened at Tisdale in the first hole above riverbend , no moon around 9 or 10 at night , the lantern shining out the back of the boat , a cut up beer can blocking the light to the front of the boat , still waiting for the first glimpse of this so called sturgeon pump :-/
then it pumped lol,I though I was going to ****e my pants I grabbed my pole waited till i felt him still taking it " my buddy's advise " then pulled my pole

"fishing pole that is" and set the hook like a mad man ,and i am a big man, I keep setting till i felt my buddys hand on my shoulder telling me that the hook was set already i think it was around the 15th or 16th set attempt lol I was freeken pumped , and i think i scared that fish cause after i stopped setting the hook that sucker took off like a missile rite to the fast current and took off 100 yards of line. Then i slowed him down and he shot out the water like a white ghost tail walked for about ten feet , there was no moon so all you could see was this white belly walken on the water, then my line went slack and i realed in like there was no tomorrow, thinking the hole time, " did i just lose this fish" then about the time he was sailing past the boat i caught up with him and watched my real peal line and my pole bend over the side of the boat ;D, about the time my partner was about to let the anchor go it came back down , well we got it in, noosed it 71&3/4 inch. back then the limit was 72

The reason im telling you this is that i would'nt trade that balanced pole take down for any other way , you have got to see it yourself a pole holder dosn't let the fish suck the bait in without giving him a clue that its tied to something . pluse it looks freegen cool when it happens
just my two cents ;)
A balanced pole is worth the effort and there easy to do/ make

RENOBOYS
02-27-2008, 01:25 PM
hey Seon, I like that leash. I was trying to come up w/ one, but couldn't figure out the configuration-- do you mind if I copy your idea?? probably not, seeing how you posted a pic of it

SetTheHookMinistry
03-02-2008, 09:16 AM
balancers it is then!!! plus, i like that plastic clip with the velcro.

thanks alot guys

Seon
03-02-2008, 11:20 AM
hey Seon, I like that leash.... *do you mind if I copy your idea??

Go for it! BTW I'm headed out to REI to buy a length of bungy cord to attached to the leash. My wife gets too excited setting the hook and complained that the leash is too restrictive on her style :-/. So I'm going to try the bungy that'll "give" when she sets the hook.

RENOBOYS
03-02-2008, 07:19 PM
I wish I could get my wife into fishin for the sturgies, well, on 2nd thought, maybe not. Kinda nice gettin away for the weekend. She doesn't put up much resistance for me going--

Thanks for the idea, Seon, I will put it to good use