PDA

View Full Version : Sturgeon jumping?

FishON510
02-26-2008, 10:24 PM
Do they usually bite when they are jumping out of the water?

BIG_ONE
02-26-2008, 11:00 PM
it depends if they stay at that spot...doesn't normally means they jump there and they'll take it... ;)

510fishON
02-26-2008, 11:02 PM

so where are they jumping? i would like to see a dolphin show! like a few years back at pinole shores!! ;D ;D

G-whiz
02-27-2008, 07:23 AM
I have an opinion on the jumping thing. I'm thinking they are flushing their gills when they break thru the surface. I'm not sure about that whole thing but, they must choke from sucking up the clams/critters in the silty muck. It's gotta restrict oxygen from entering their system. I've had hook-ups in the area's of the jumps. If I'm wrong? Wouldn't be the first time.

*Deltadog*
02-27-2008, 07:37 AM
Its been said that if you see sturgeon jumping, they're not feeding. And when they're jumping they usually do it as a group thing. Myself can attest to a dead bite when fish are actively working the surface. Supposedly the force of the water pushing through their gills flushes out debris when they jump.
Dog

NorKalkiller
02-27-2008, 09:00 AM
never hooked one when there jumping but when u stop hearing them and its starts ta get quit hold onn thats when i have caught or hook my biggest fish

RENOBOYS
02-27-2008, 09:55 AM
Everybody I have talked to say that when they are jumping they aren't eating. But I like the post about "when they stop jumping-- then watch out" I believe that too. I like the "flushing" idea

Luke
02-27-2008, 06:51 PM

Not unless you have your bait out of the water as well. ;D ;D ;D ;D
Just kidding.
If I have jumpers around. I will keep fishing in that spot for the majority of the tide.

wet_biker
02-27-2008, 07:04 PM
If I see then jumping . I pull out the line and ride around hoping one will land in my boat. :D

If you see then jumping you know then its a good spot .

ZACK
02-28-2008, 09:52 AM
This is a topic discused for years and most agree sturgeon jump because they can! ;D

I talked to a biologist at Davis studying sturgeon a bunch of years ago about this and he told me they even jump as fingerlings and a wire screen lid had to be put on the aquariums to keep them from finding them on the floor when they entered the laboratory in the am.
He said he believes the reason they jump is more behavioral then for any medicinal purpose like "cleaning out their gills", "Ridding their bodies of parasites", etc.

I'll tell you what though, if you are on the water and see a good group of jumping fish anchor up on em. The ones performing the aerial show are not feeding but there is a good chance the other members of their show below on the bottom are. ZACK!

RENOBOYS
02-29-2008, 06:28 AM
one of my buddies told me that they jump because they don't have "middle fingers"

fusionstar
02-29-2008, 02:05 PM
Last night, a huge sturgeon jumped 60 foot from the bank from us. It was so heavy it couldn't get out the water but the boil was huge. and a Beaver scared the crap out of me. Slapped the water so hard when it went under. made me jump and drop my tangerine.

animal
02-29-2008, 08:59 PM
one of my buddies told me that they jump because they don't have "middle fingers"

LOL O I got a good belly laugh off that, thanks Reno , yes I tend to believe you buddy on that , and when the bite is real "REAL" slow I like to flip one, rite back at them ;D

mud
03-01-2008, 11:05 AM
i have had some of my best results anchoring over jumpers.

bigg_fishh
03-01-2008, 06:14 PM
And watch out cause one just might hit your boat.Hey zack gimme a call.

donzitroller
03-02-2008, 01:04 AM
Now that's funny stuff right there.. I've had some of my most unproductive trips where I've seen the most jumpers. Might be coincidental.. just something I've noted, as that's the best indication I know that there are sturgeon in the area. To sit for hours and have them jump all around the boat. Ignoring the virtual plethora of bait being set out. Sometimes gets frustrating.