PDA

View Full Version : braid users

SetTheHookMinistry
02-22-2008, 06:57 PM
does anyone or has any ever used ugly braid? when i use braid its power pro,but this ugly is way cheaper for the same size/quanity. what u think?

Luke
02-22-2008, 07:19 PM
I have never used the ugly braid. But I have tried out power pro, suffix, and stren super braid. I like the stren super braid the best in either 65 or 50 pound test. I have never lost a fish using stren. Power pro and suffix both have snapped on me during hookset or 5 minutes into it. Maybe I got some off a bad batch or whatever But all the reels are wound with stren braid now. People have there preferences and I have mine based on testing. :)

SetTheHookMinistry
02-22-2008, 08:15 PM
thanks ill probably stick with the pp

donzitroller
02-22-2008, 09:51 PM
Haven't tried Ugly. I used PPro only once, had bad stuff happen, then tried Tuf LIne XP which I liked. Switching over now to P-Line Spectrex. So far I like it, as much as the XP.. but, just a preference.

SetTheHookMinistry
02-23-2008, 07:00 AM
havnt had anything bad happen with pp so far. probably wont switch til i have a reason to......thanks

ric1ric
02-23-2008, 07:15 AM
I use spiderwire and have been real happy with it.

striper_assasin
02-23-2008, 08:53 AM
i too love the tuffline xp.
to each there own, but i still dont understand the powerpro user's.besides all the reports of people telling them about what can happen, and all the reports from power pro manufacturers themselves admitting to having issues with there line at times....how do you all deal with the sound it makes grinding across your eye's on the rod when reeling in?
man a friend of mine has it and everytime he reels in it is like nails on a chalk board to me, lol.
hey donzi, that pline briad, if its the stuff i saw at fishermans warehouse, i too wanted to give it a try it was a yellow braid, but unfortunatly they only had it in 20 pound test:(
i liked how it felt and looked, looked reel smooth.

GreatWhiteHunter
02-23-2008, 09:40 AM
Only braid Ive tried/used is Spiderwire for Stripers in the river. Pretty strong stuff. I have to use my fillet knife to cut through that.

rblucky2
02-23-2008, 09:53 AM
don't give up on braid almost any brand is ok.The wave of the future and it has it's places.
If you master the uni to uni knot and use 10-20' top shot to absorbe the shocks to the braid you will never go back to mono in bottomfishing ,sturgeon deep,almost any bait fishing.
In 5 years with the same braid on all my tuna and freshwater reels I have never replaced the line and never once has the knot failed at the my top shot even on snags usually a snap or knot at the snap etc..If I use 50# braid I use 30# topshot. 30# braid 20# top shot.
I figure the savings alone in new mono every year to be worth it .And way worth it on the tuna stuff where I used to r&r 400-600 yards of line for every reel every season. I have had the same PP braid on those tuna reels since 1999 figure it out..Mexico trip,s costa rica, albacore and all..Just a new short top shot every once in a while and thats it.scotty

ZACK
02-23-2008, 11:49 AM
I have never used the ugly braid. But I have tried out power pro, suffix, and stren super braid. I like the stren super braid the best in either 65 or 50 pound test. I have never lost a fish using stren. Power pro and suffix both have snapped on me during hookset or 5 minutes into it. Maybe I got some off a bad batch or whatever But all the reels are wound with stren braid now. People have there preferences and I have mine based on testing. *:)

What luke says.
He talked and I listened and spooled all of my reels with 50 lb stren braid. I have used many others with powerpro being my least favorite and am happy with the stren. I had a snag the other day and I'll be damned if I couldn't break it off and actually had to cut the stuff! :o
ZACK!

GreatWhiteHunter
02-23-2008, 01:37 PM
I had a snag the other day and I'll be damned if I couldn't break it off and actually had to cut the stuff!

Very true. If you get snagged it is almost guaranteed you are loosing your rig.

donzitroller
02-23-2008, 03:58 PM
hey donzi, that pline briad, if its the stuff i saw at fishermans warehouse, i too wanted to give it a try it was a yellow braid, but unfortunatly they only had it in 20 pound test:(
i liked how it felt and looked, looked reel smooth.

I found 30# at wild sports, spooled in bulk. Only place in Sac that had it at the time. I also got a 1500 yard spool of 50# off Ebay for pretty cheap, like $100 or so. It gets spendy spooling reels with braid no matter what brand..

mrsockeye
02-23-2008, 05:28 PM
I have used some of the more popular braid brands and believe that Spiderwire is my favorite. It is made of the same material (dyneema) as Fireline. Fireline, however seems to loose it finish and abraid quicker in my experience. The lines made of (spectra) such as Tuf Line have not lived up to their expectation to me. It seems to me that Tuf Line has trouble cutting into itself on the spool. What I mean is, difficulty coming off, sometimes overlapping. This cost me a big striper last fall, when it hit a trolled plug, tore off about 10 feet of line and snapped it. The spectra based lines are thinner also for their pound test, there are pros and cons to this. Pros are lower visibility, for fish other than scent based basically blind sturgeon, this is a plus. Lower diameter cuts through the water easier when trolling. I ran into trouble trolling rods with the same lures and line pound test on the same side of the boat. The thicker Spiderwire equipped rods wouldn't dive as deep as the Tuf Line. Thus I had to carefully make sure what rod was where. The con with super low diameter line is that every little abrasion really counts. The thichker lines can take a little more punishment as they just have more meat. Think about it, if you take a .013 diameter line and knick it compared with a line that is .0197 for instance there is less holding. Those are random numbers by the way. Tuf line has a nasty habbit of wrapping on rod tips for me also. I haven't tried Suffix, which is Spectra based, but Ive heard good things. The only problem is the only color I've seen it in is hi vis yellow. My .02 cents

FishinSturgeon
02-23-2008, 08:30 PM
Power Pro 50 has been working well for me, I just recently switched over from Mono. Very happy.

BIG_ONE
02-23-2008, 10:18 PM
i like powerpro all the way, it stays tough and strong for a long time, even if starts to get furry...its still very strong, i used spiderwire before, they r sticky, reduces the casting distance, and powerpro is coated too, even if the coat comes off its still strong as new, so i'd never change any braid over powerpro ;)

G-whiz
02-24-2008, 07:56 AM
One thing I noticed about Power Pro is that if I don't freshen-up the knots I'll have failure. Seems like the knots fail if they're setting around for a week or two.

kooldadj510
02-24-2008, 10:30 AM
i use 50lb berkley gorilla line it works great it has never failed on me its super strong and reasonably priced, i use 80lb stren braid for my leaders. both work great and neither one has ever failed on me

GoT HeeeeM
02-25-2008, 06:39 PM
i use 50lb berkley gorilla line it works great it has never failed on me its super strong and reasonably priced, i use 80lb stren braid for my leaders. both work great and neither one has ever failed on me

kooldad, when you say you use 80 lb braid for leaders, your talkin sturgeon leaders?? i have a somewhat old spool of 80lb PP thats been sittin around, might be a good idea to try??

Luke
02-25-2008, 07:37 PM
One thing I noticed about Power Pro is that if I don't freshen-up the knots I'll have failure. Seems like the knots fail if they're setting around for a week or two.
I don't know what kind of knot you use but I have never had a palomar knot fail me using stren braid even after multiple fish have been caught on the same rig. I used power pro 1 time and a fish was lost due to line failure. I know awhile back power pro had a visible bad spot in it about every 8 to 10 feet.
Luke

SetTheHookMinistry
02-25-2008, 07:56 PM
suisun luke

you catch all them fish on power pro?

kooldadj510
02-25-2008, 09:47 PM
EBANGLER7784, sure why not. i like to use braid for my leaders i think that the sturgys can feel the steel leaders in there mouth, just my own thoughts others may think different. i use two hooks with egg loop knots

Luke
02-26-2008, 06:13 PM
suisun luke

*you catch all them fish on power pro?
Stren Super Braid. Not that it matters but I prefer the yellow stuff. (easier for me to see)
Luke

SetTheHookMinistry
02-26-2008, 08:48 PM
suisun luke

Stren Super Braid. Not that it matters but I prefer the yellow stuff. (easier for me to see)
Luke

what lb test?

RENOBOYS
02-27-2008, 01:05 PM
I have always used Suffix Braid. But I couldn't find anywhere that had it in Reno. I have always used Suffix, even on my salmon rods.

I went to the new Cabela's in Reno, they have their own brand, and I like it better. Seems to cinch a little better at the knot, and it works. I caught all those fish last week on one pole w/ 30# and the other w/ 50#

Luke
02-27-2008, 05:22 PM
suisun luke

Luke

what lb test?
50 or 65 pound