PDA

View Full Version : looking for a sturgy guide

phatf250wil
02-18-2008, 09:39 PM
im looking to take my dad on a sturgeon trip but dont know where and how to catch them. im looking for a guide to hire for san pablo bay or rio vista area. does anyone have any links to some good ones? thanks for the info.

doneli
02-19-2008, 04:50 PM
http://www.fishsniffer.com/cgi-bin/forumsyabb/YaBB.pl?num=1202793848

captain kevin yost of luckystrike fishing is always giving good reports check on his web site he may be a good choice...

-doneli-

Intimidator
02-19-2008, 04:59 PM
Intimidator Sportfishing
PM if you need more info.

bassingus
02-19-2008, 05:23 PM
I highly recommend Capt. Kevin, Lucky Strike Fishing.

http://www.luckystrikefishing.com

h00kie
02-22-2008, 09:37 AM
Could you fellas recommend any guides that hit the So Bay specifically? I want to learn this area more? Thanks in advance.

Intimidator
02-22-2008, 11:20 AM
You couldn't go wrong with Right Hook sportfishing.

Reel-Lentless
02-22-2008, 01:43 PM
All the 6-packs fishing out of Martinez or Pittsburg all do pretty good, Each boat has a better day then the others some of the time, don't beleive the hype that theres only one boat that can catch Sturgeon.

redmt
02-22-2008, 04:29 PM
All the 6-packs fishing out of Martinez or Pittsburg all do pretty good, Each boat has a better day then the others some of the time, don't beleive the hype that theres only one boat that can catch Sturgeon.

The guys that hype themselves up are trying to drum up business . It's the guys you don't hear from who are out catching the fish. As Reel- Lentless said , everybody has good and bad days. There is no "secrets " just knowing where and how to catch them.

fysshurmun
02-23-2008, 11:30 AM
How much does your chance of hooking up a sturgy improve on a charter compared to like from a good bank spot like crocket pier or sherman island? 200% better? 500% ? 1000%?

I've never had much luck on a charter going out for sturgies. Been on charters a dozen times, zero sturgies. The cost of going on charter is about 3 times more expensive than bank fishing, for me. And my trips were right around the time that those operators were saying the sturgy bites are red hot.

How do you define "red hot"? 50 anglers, 1 fish over the course of a day?

May just be my bad luck.

Oregon, I agree, is probably a better bet. If you add up $150 x 10 plus 10 days of time comes out to about 3 days of driving and 7 days of fishing. Sounds good to me.

redmt
02-23-2008, 12:06 PM
When you go out on a charter your paying for experience, gear bait and of course knowledge of the area. If you fish the bank, then your pretty much stuck to one area. if you go out on one of the faster charters you could fish from San Pablo up through some of the more productive sloughs in a single outing. Remember that hype is what it is, hype. Another thing is that it's fishing, not catching. everybody has good and bad days.

mrsockeye
02-23-2008, 06:33 PM
I know that you wanted to target San Pablo Bay, and Kevin Yost primarily fishes in Suisun Bay, but a trip on the Lucky Strike with Kevin is hard to beat. Kevin is a very knowlegeable and hard working guide. He works very hard at puttin his clients onto fish. He really cares about his making sure you have a good time. I think his dedication to the sport can be summed up in the fact that if you catch a fish that is obviously a female full of eggs and release it, your trip is free. How many guides do that? He has breakfast on the house, and his boat has a head. So if you're planning on taking any ladies they can pee in privacy, instead of in a bucket. He is a nice guy, and you will learn some very useable tips if you ask the right questions.

FishinSturgeon
02-23-2008, 08:24 PM
I know that you wanted to target San Pablo Bay, and Kevin Yost primarily fishes in Suisun Bay, but a trip on the Lucky Strike with Kevin is hard to beat. *Kevin is a very knowlegeable and hard working guide. *He works very hard at puttin his clients onto fish. *He really cares about his making sure you have a good time. *I think his dedication to the sport can be summed up in the fact that if you catch a fish that is obviously a female full of eggs and release it, your trip is free. *How many guides do that? *He has breakfast on the house, and his boat has a head. *So if you're planning on taking any ladies they can pee in privacy, instead of in a bucket. *He is a nice guy, and you will learn some very useable tips if you ask the right questions.

Last I heard is that even F&G cant tell the difference between Male and Female without making an incision. How is Capt. Kev able to tell? Please explain.....
And there are many other boats on the water that have "private urinals"...Flash, Reelentless, Right Hook, Fish Hookers, Stickem.
Not here to "bash" or "attack"", just stating the facts.
Tight Lines

doneli
02-23-2008, 09:56 PM
captain kevin has a mentor, who is "rich timpton" this man is called "the stugeon king" and that is for a reason. he had catch more sturgeon in the delta than anybody else....so experience..experience...experience...is all that counts..

-doneli-

bassingus
02-24-2008, 01:10 PM
Well said doneli.

captain kevin has a mentor, who is "rich timpton" this man is called "the stugeon king" *and that is for a reason. he had catch more sturgeon in the delta than anybody else....so experience..experience...experience...is all that counts..

* -doneli-

SetTheHookMinistry
02-24-2008, 01:22 PM
I always hear good stuff about capt. kev both on and off this board

redmt
02-24-2008, 02:13 PM
ALL HAIL CAPT. KEV !!!

Right_Hook
02-24-2008, 02:59 PM
I guess there is only one capt. that catchs all the fish!!!!! But I tell you what those Martinez boys are catchin quite a few fish!!!!!!

NorCal_Bangers
02-24-2008, 03:43 PM
I guess there is only one capt. that catchs *all the fish!!!!! But I tell you what those Martinez boys are catchin quite a few fish!!!!!!

yea...ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 ;) ;) ;D ;D ;D

NCB

Reel-Lentless
02-24-2008, 04:04 PM
I guess there is only one capt. that catchs *all the fish!!!!! But I tell you what those Martinez boys are catchin quite a few fish!!!!!!
Jay, just be happy were aloud to play in the same court as the self proclaimed "KING". Rich must of handed off his sword.

Right_Hook
02-24-2008, 06:03 PM
Ok Jake!!!!!!!!! What ever you say!!! :P

pararadise
02-24-2008, 06:14 PM
Kevin Yost,on the lucky strike or john lopes on the right hook or jim smith on the flash.these three are the best .take your pick you can't lose.

Luke
02-24-2008, 07:27 PM
im looking to take my dad on a sturgeon trip but dont know where and how to catch them. im looking for a guide to hire for san pablo bay or rio vista area. does anyone have any links to some good ones? thanks for the info.
Alot of the repiles on this thread have been from party boat captains vieing for your dollars. Check out their websites and see who has the most up to date reports. Like a week or less in dates. That should be considered in your decision. If the reports are not up to date like they should be to maintain a customer based knowledge of what is going on then look elsewhere. My 2 cents.
Luke

NorCal_Bangers
02-24-2008, 08:00 PM
Ok Jake!!!!!!!!! *What ever you say!!! :P

thanks for the honest reply...love ya jay!!!!!!!! ;)

side note: SPB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! if the rain in jan. didnt do it...this one WILL....when we going!!!!!!!!!!! your boat, mine, or both!!!!!!!!!! you know its gonna be a kick A$$ day either way

FishinSturgeon
02-24-2008, 10:17 PM
Alot of the repiles on this thread have been from party boat captains vieing for your dollars. Check out their websites and see who has the most up to date reports. Like a week or less in dates. That should be considered in your decision. If the reports are not up to date like they should be to maintain a customer based knowledge of what is going on then look elsewhere. My 2 cents.
Luke
So who is the winner in the "up to date category"?

redmt
02-25-2008, 08:22 AM
So who is the winner in the "up to date category"? [/quote]

What you mean is who can make up the most recent fish story? Or who can make claim to the most , biggest, fattest, skinnyest, shortest, longest, heaviest, lightest. Just remember that fish stories are what they are, entertaining but certainly not to be believed. ;D ;D

ZACK
02-25-2008, 08:52 AM
A lot of talk about who is the best, etc, etc.
I have been on this water fishing for dinos for decades and even though I have never been on a private charter I can tell you what I think about the guide business from seeing them on the water, etc.

First of all they are a business. Just like a restaurant that has been in business for a lot time there is a reason why they have lasted and are constantly patronized. That is not to say a new company can't offer you a great service and maybe even a little something extra due to they are new and "may" be willing to go the extra mile for customer satisfaction.

I think in considering a guide you should call him and explain your expectations and see how he feels about it and through communication you will get an idea if he is the man for you. The guide should also let you know what you can realistically expect as well.
Sturgeon fishing is a funny game. It can be more like deer hunting. There are no guarantees that you will get one but then again you might get six?

If I am going out with someone who I believe is a very experienced, proficient fishermen I am not so focused on the catch but instead what knowledge I can gain from this person. I am a talker but I try real hard to put myself in a posture of listening in an effort to learn something from their approach.
My biggest consideration if I were fishing with a guide would be is this person willing to make an effort to become a teacher out there on the water and not just put me in a situation of catching and later leave me not understanding why we fished this area, what times are best, etc, etc.

You may hate a day of not catching but In my experience you will NEVER learn more from a “good” fishermen than on a day that flat out sucks where nothing works.
Why? Because on this day you will see a master pull all of his tricks out of his bag along with seeing a mint of his more productive spots in his effort to find success.

That is a far cry from a day where you hit one spot, drop the lines and limit out without having to be challenged in any way.

I guess my point is fish come and go but knowledge is forever.
It’s the whole "Give A Man A Fish And He Will Eat For A Day, But Teach Him How To Fish And He Will Eat The Rest Of His Life" line of thinking.
ZACK!

redmt
02-25-2008, 08:59 AM
A lot of talk about who is the best, etc, etc.

First of all they are a business.

I guess my point is fish come and go but knowledge is forever.
It’s the whole "Give A Man A Fish And He Will Eat For A Day, But Teach Him How To Fish And He Will Eat The Rest Of His Life" line of thinking.
ZACK!

WOW!! Very well put. However I do get a kick out of the outlandish stories. ;D ;)

FishWisher
02-25-2008, 06:43 PM
Kevin is likely to put you on fish around Suisun. You also mentioned Rio Vista. For that area, try www.Fishhookers.com That's Barry and Diane Canavero. They are also very good guides. This time of year they may be berthed at Pittsburg.

Dale