PDA

View Full Version : MBF/Montezuma Report - Sat, 2/9/08

fishon_gethenet
02-09-2008, 08:27 PM
Well not much of a report. It was DEAD out there today. We launched out of Montezuma fished it for about 2 hours. We had a couple of bites but they were few and far between. We ended up heading out to the Mothball Fleet to our secret spot where we've never been skunked and guess what? We were skunked?! I guess there is a first time for everything.

3 guys, 5 poles, grass, ghost, pile, bullheads, 49 degrees (water), no wind, super nice day. Just no fish? *:'( :-/

Lots of chatter on the radio...no fish being caught? Strange..it was still fun to get together with friends and take the boat out for a much needed ride. We caught a couple of shaker stripers but that's about it. Two nice pumps on one rod and a couple of runs on our bullheads that didn't stick? *:o

HUND
02-09-2008, 08:50 PM
Beats the heck out of doing yard work...

We will be out tomorrow

Kneedeep
02-09-2008, 08:59 PM
It was a very nice day on the water, even with all the inconsiderate dummies who have a good 1/2 mile of river, but elect to drive right up behind you and nearly swamp your boat while they buzz within 30 feet beside you as they wave and return just a few minutes later only to repeat the same stupid behavior.

Luke
02-09-2008, 09:06 PM
You should have went to the secret spot first :)

fishon_gethenet
02-10-2008, 11:15 AM
SL, you're right we should have gone straight to the honey hole. *:-?

Kneedeep, this happens everywhere...some guys just shouldn't own boats if you ask me. I would be all in favor of a licensed exam that teaches boaters etiquette and safety on the water! If you think about it..anybody can be navigating a boat.. :o :-?

bigg_fishh
02-10-2008, 12:29 PM
I caught 1 undersize in monte last night the fish seem to be more present in monte than suisun.We marked fewer in suisun yesterday than 1 week ago and got no bites in suisun. Last week we killed em' all in suisun slough. The water temp is up 2 or so degrees is this the reason? your guess is as good as mine.

kromebrite
02-11-2008, 09:45 AM
I would be all in favor of a licensed exam that teaches boaters etiquette and safety on the water! If you think about it..anybody can be navigating a boat.. :o :-?
I suspect it would not change their personality, though. They would just be educated irresponsible and inconsiderate buttheads.
good report, always good to be on the water.

crowbar1
02-11-2008, 12:41 PM
I would be all in favor of a licensed exam that teaches boaters etiquette and safety on the water! If you think about it..anybody can be navigating a boat.. :o :-?
I suspect it would not change their personality, though. They would just be educated irresponsible and inconsiderate buttheads.
good report, always good to be on the water.

I agree 100% with a boat license. I do want to point out that some areas like the MBF, you don't have a lot of room to navigate if you have a large boat that has a deep draft. I have been through there when boats are at anchor all over every side of the channel, and the only way through is between them. In a boat the size of mine, I must stay in the channel or I will run aground. When I am in that situation, I do treat it as a no wake zone, and creep through them. Alot of the boats there do not realize that some of the larger yachts can't pass unless they are in the channel. I had one guy radio me to tell me off because I came through the markers at less then 5 mph. He said "you have the whole bay, but you had to go through the fishing grounds". I told him that it was a minus tide, and he was at anchor in the channel. He said that he crosses the bay in his boat "all the time with no problem", and I could do the same. I could have fit his entrie boat on the front deck of mine... He just did not get it.

fishon_gethenet
02-13-2008, 10:17 AM
Crowbar, nice point..

I have seen guys anchor in the channel before...I have to admit when I first started out (my first boat) I did the same thing. I simply didn't know any better. I had a 40 foot yacht blowing it's horn at me and I was thinking what the hell is this guy doing? I moved and then realized I was in the wrong. This is why I think I license would make sense. It would at least teach the basics out on the water.

I think Kneedeep was referring to those people who could careless where you are and blaze right by you. We had a guy anchor about 50 yards behind us this weekend. It was odd because there was so much open area to fish all around but he decided to fish right behind us? Weird.

dimpala95
02-13-2008, 01:36 PM
I hate being pulled off anchor just like anybody else but I'd rather see a boat come by on plane rather than slow down to 10-15 mph, bow up at 45 degrees and pushing out max wake. If you're going to slow down, slow down to like 5 mph.

crowbar1
02-13-2008, 04:36 PM
I hate being pulled off anchor just like anybody else but I'd rather see a boat come by on plane rather than slow down to 10-15 mph, bow up at 45 degrees and pushing out max wake. If you're going to slow down, slow down to like 5 mph.

I agree, that's why I said I treat it as a no wake zone. I motor around fishermen like I am in a harbor. Nothing worse then wake blasting a sturgeon hunter.

douglasrorr
02-21-2008, 03:06 PM
Any new reports from Montezuma? I will be heading out on Sat, saw that there is a high tide around 12:30pm. I haven't been out in almost 1 year, just had a baby boy. I am planning on banking it near belden's landing with ghost/pile combo with scent added. Probably will need a six ounce weight? Any thoughts will be appreciated.-Doug

bigg_fishh
02-21-2008, 09:04 PM
Its been slow I would wait to hear some good reports it will pick up soon.

HUND
02-21-2008, 09:47 PM
Looks like ya would be getting a little wet this weekend too