PDA

View Full Version : Sturgeon near Sacramento?

JJJ-Mo
02-20-2008, 04:03 PM
I've been salmon and steelhead fishing for the last few years, and am pretty disgusted with the runs the last couple years *>:( .....so I figure maybe I'll try my hand at sturgeon for a while.

I'm pretty familiar with the sacramento river from Verona down to Freeport. Can you guys recommend a decent place to start out for my first attempt at sturgeon?

Also, how about pole/gear/bait? Is there a 'sturgeon fishing 101' post or site you can point me to?

Thanks in advance for your help!

jetfishn
02-20-2008, 06:42 PM
Pretty much all you need to know about sturgeon fishing, is locate on this forum at the top of this page. http://www.fishsniffer.com/cgi-bin/forumsyabb/YaBB.pl?num=1134051617

fishmaster
02-20-2008, 08:06 PM
Launch out of Brannen Island, head west toward the power lines. Set one pole up with Ghost/Grass and the other one with Mud/pile worm.Fish the edges of the deep water. Last 2 hours of out going seem to be working for me, but seen them caught on incoming as well.

animal
02-20-2008, 09:25 PM
J-Mo I always wanted to try this spot , but have'nt got over that way yet. Its below Freeport not to far below there's a pipe pumping hard on the east side, not to sure where it pumps from but if my guess is right its got some good feed in it . I think i would try ell, shad, pile or blood worm , or even craw fish.
theres a lot of people on shore below that pipe as far back as Clarksburg but if you got a boat might make for some good fishing.
as far as poles and line read up on the rest of this "sturgeon" forum im sure you will find the info you need.

ps im probably in trouble with the hood boys for blabbing there spot out lol . but if you do stick one let us know what happened , and of course give me all the credit ;) ;D

strongster
02-20-2008, 09:33 PM
I have fished that spot a couple of times with no luck but looks like a darn good spot. bound to hook up sooner or later tho. probably some nice ones around there. let us know. good luck