PDA

View Full Version : Where to go 1st time?

fisheone
02-13-2008, 05:48 PM
Im going fishing Friday with my son and brother for 1st time for sturgeon. We've been talking about going for a few years, so we're just going to do it. *We have a 17 *ft bass/ski boat with fishfinder. *We live near Elverta in Sact. *Anyone have any good recommendations where to go? *There's local places here but we're just looking for a good bet to go fishing. *How about bait? *I hear different baits seem to work for different locations. *What do we look for in tides as well? *Also, do we need an anchor at the stern to keep us straight in the current?

Thanks for the help.

IrishAngler
02-15-2008, 08:41 AM
Im not sure about location around that area but shrimp baits and pile worm combos work for me.

RENOBOYS
02-15-2008, 09:15 AM
at the turn of the tides is best, for us anyway. we look for big tides. 4'-5' to around zero is good. some people use a sleeve or a bucket to keep straight.

Newty
02-15-2008, 09:31 AM
Try fishing the power lines at Rio Vista. You can launch in town or at Brannon State Park(closer to the lines). Head down stream until you see two sets of power lines and your there. The ghost/pile combo works well for me but it's really your own preference on what to use, if their hungry they will hit it. Try some scent on your bait like Bang or Smelly Jelly ;). The Anise scent has worked well for me ;) :-?
I've hooked a lot of fish sitting near the first set of lines in 30ft. of water.
On really big tides you might have to fish some shallower water because of the swift current then move to the deep water as it slows down. The most productive time is at the start and toward the end of each tide. Watch your rod tip very carefully ;) The bite is usually very soft. Make sure your rig is on the bottom! You might as well fish from home in your bath tub if the bait isn't on the bottom ;D. Good luck :)

fisheone
02-15-2008, 07:34 PM
Whoa...hey thanks for great advice! I wasn't sure I was going to get any. Unfortunately we didn't catch anything today out of verona. We we're all trying to decide where to go then we read the last fishing report in the Bee about Verona, so that settled it. We went up the sact looking for fishy water, like holes, bends and such. Didn't mark any fish. But, like dummies we lost our anchor like right off in the day. It was pretty stupid and I wont get into it, so all we had left was this small other kind of anchor that sometimes would hold. Oh well, nothing ventured, nothing gained. At least we all have the rigs and stuff for the next try.

Where we should try again is still welcome. Thanks all!