PDA

View Full Version : Suisun Bay Sturgeon Not Sunday Feb 10 2008

GuyBrown
02-11-2008, 10:07 AM
My lucky dog, Spike, and I went out on a beautiful day for sturgeon. We launched at Belden Landing and tried the mouth of Montezuma Slough at Suisun Bay, Suisun Bay above the Mothball Fleet, Cable Crossing & further up Montezuma. Water 48.1-50.2*, dirty, not much debris in the water; ; air 42-65*; sky clear; wind 0-3 mph. 7 hours, 32 miles. No bites/fish! Heard quite a bit of radio traffic, sounded like a slow day. Beautiful day on the water, however, sunny, no wind, 5-10 miles visibility.
Note: We stopped at Suisun Bait & Stuff for live bait. He was to be open by 6:00 Sunday & did not open until 6:30 & then only had very small, live Grass Shrimp. I should have called him Saturday to determine what he had. His live bait supply may not be as reliable as those in Rio Vista.

hookncook
02-11-2008, 10:10 AM
Thats the problem with Suisun. There is another bait shop in downtown suisun called virgls but he is even worse the suisun bait

gomezfish
02-11-2008, 03:59 PM
lol...at susuin bait dude was complainin about people givin him a hardtime about not being open there @ 6 , tellin me about he has things to do and has a life.

martinez bait didnt have any live bait either , we had to cruise over to mcavoys for some small a$$ shrimp

Newty
02-11-2008, 04:33 PM
Note: We stopped at Suisun Bait & Stuff for live bait. He was to be open by 6:00 Sunday & did not open until 6:30 & then only had very small, live Grass Shrimp. I should have called him Saturday to determine what he had. His live bait supply may not be as reliable as those in Rio Vista. *
I had the same problem with that bait shop next to McDonalds not being open when he's suppossed to. It really pisses me off when I get up early, drive for an hour only to wait for the guy to show up about 30-45 minutes late. He's done it to me twice before. I told him to give me his home number so I can wake him up before I leave Sac so he's open on time! Needless to say I don't shop there for bait anymore.

HUND
02-11-2008, 04:47 PM
A $3 bag of chovies will do the trick ;)

I bought some grass at norms yesterday ... they where way small

gomezfish
02-11-2008, 06:09 PM
they sell some live shrimp at new country asain market in pacheco that looks like an overgrow grass shrimp...i think they would work , thats where i buy my shark bait....they even sell gobies but not for bait , for eating, i feel kinda bad because during the summer ide be in line to pay and looking at all the custemors buying there dinner ,here i am wearing some old clothes in layers with my fishing license danglin from my neck, if i were them i wonder if ide be ofended..??? if im at the mexican grocery store buying some carne asada and a group of fishermen go in there saying that menudo tripe works great for catfishing and buy pounds of t i doubt ide be ofended

sorry for getting offsubject

FisherBoats
02-11-2008, 07:20 PM
Another thing is scaling I don't know how they are scaling it. Sometimes 1lb of shrimp looks like a 1 1/2lbs but 1 1/2 pounds sometimes looks like 1lb, I don't know maybe they are just eyeballing it?

t8t8t8
02-13-2008, 04:06 AM
When it comes to Bait and Suisun area you best get your stuff else where first! Rio Vista or even Benica!
Virgls Bait with Attitude! >:( I have stayed clear of that Bar for Years! That guy more interested in selling Beer at 6am than Bait!
It is important to start you day fishing on a good note, don't let virgil add drama to your early day! 8-)

Mako
02-13-2008, 01:30 PM
I've never had a problem with Haps in Rio Vists. How consistent is the bait at the Pittsburgh launch ramp ?

donzitroller
02-13-2008, 03:03 PM
I've gotten good bait most of the time at Dockside (Pitts ramp).. the last time I got bait at Virgil's it was good stuff. As for the attitude there, I'm there to get bait not make friends. Finding quality bait is getting harder and harder.. and there have been times I've had to make 3 bait stops to get what I need. Never have cared for Hap's (just a personal preference) and in Rio I usually go to the old gas station. Masterbaiter in Isleton usually has what I need, even though they are a bit outta the way. Depends on which way you're coming and where you're launching from. ALWAYS make your calls beforehand. I've got numbers in my cell for all the bait shops I use.. if I'm going on a weekend I'll start making calls by Thursday just to see who has what. Lots of the shops get bait from the same sources and it's not uncommon for them all to get fresh stuff in on Fridays. If a particular shop doesn't have something, ask when they will.. doing the legwork can save you frustration on fishing day!

Mako
02-13-2008, 03:57 PM
Can you give me a list of 2 or 3 shops and thir phone numbers in the Pittsburg ramp location? Thanks in advance

gomezfish
02-13-2008, 09:32 PM
BS bait and tackle at mcavoys has some good bait and helped us in our time of need when matinez droped the ball. really good bait shop , they have bait n tackle , snacks and boat stuff