PDA

View Full Version : Rigging Eel

T
02-11-2008, 06:57 PM
Any suggestions would be great. I've never fished with eel before, have an idea on how to rig it. Just wanted some different ideas.

Thanks again.

gomezfish
02-11-2008, 07:07 PM
ive been slicing off a chunk of the eel the slicing that peice in half then cutting slits through it to give off sent , on my bait checks( not realy a check cuz that stuff doesnt come off) i add more blood to it

i havnt caught a keeper yet so you might want to get more answers on this.

crowbar1
02-11-2008, 07:22 PM
B@B's advice sounded fine. Just make sure that you hook the eel through the skin so it will stay put. Also, make sure that the point of the hook is exposed so you can hook the fish.

Hot_Rod
02-11-2008, 08:08 PM
Lots of reports this weekend about catching with eel and grass shrimp. I think it's more the shrimp than the eel.....

Just my two cents

T
02-12-2008, 06:30 AM
Thanks guys, I will give it a try. I'm actually a fan of the grass/pile combo, but have been interested in trying the eel. I just took my Dad and he always gets one on the mudshrimp. That's what is so great about the two rod stamp. ;)

white_cap
02-12-2008, 05:55 PM
Lots of reports this weekend about catching with eel and grass shrimp. I think it's more the shrimp than the eel.....

Just my two cents
I agree, try using just shrimp on one rod, and eel on the other. See what one getís bit more.

mud
02-12-2008, 07:59 PM
i dont say too much but i cant leave this one alone. eel is my bait of choice. i would use it over any other bait.i didnt think it was that great at first.but, after hooking a good number of keepers with it that was it for me. you just have to give it a chance.

Seon
02-13-2008, 06:32 AM
I'm a visual guy, can someone post a pic of how an eel is hooked? :-?

*Deltadog*
02-13-2008, 07:41 AM
I cut a fillet (about 2-3 inches long or so)off the eel, and cut a slit in it at one end. I run my hook through a good portion of it and then bring it out so the front part of the hook is exposed, I embed the hook eye in the slit I cut. I wrap it very tight around the eye of my hook so it doesnt slide. Then I use a pile or ghost to cover the end of the hook. I take piles by the head and thread them on as far as I can, then wrap the rest around the eel, and wrap with thread securely.
Dog