PDA

View Full Version : Rec Boating Permit by 2008: It never, ever, ends!

FishWisher
07-23-2007, 03:26 PM
For those who endorse endless regulation, you're gonna love this one:

July 23, 2007

Dear BoatUS Member,

For 34 years the federal Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has exempted discharges from recreational boats from the Clean Water Act permit system. Regretfully, a recent court ruling cancelled this permit exemption. EPA is required by the court decision to develop and implement by September 30, 2008 a national permit system for ALL vessels in the United States for a variety of normal operational discharges.

We have been working behind the scenes with other boating organizations to get the exemption reinstated for recreational boats. Fortunately, the Recreational Boating Act of 2007 (H.R. 2550) has been introduced by Representatives Gene Taylor (D-Miss) and Candice Miller (R-Mich) which would protect recreational boats from being swept into this unnecessary and expensive permitting system.

It is critically important that H.R. 2550 be passed and your support is essential. Please contact your Congressman and Senators TODAY and ask that they co-sponsor or support H.R. 2550.

If the permit system becomes a reality, you will be required to pay for a state permit for each of your boats. EPA will be monitoring your deck runoff, grey water, bilge water, engine cooling water, and the use of copper bottom paints.

The original lawsuit that led to this court decision sought to address ballast water discharges from large ocean-going ships, which can introduce damaging aquatic invasive species into U.S. waters. Keeping our waterways clean and preventing the spread of invasive species is of utmost importance to the future of boating. But taking a complex permitting system designed for industrial dischargers and applying it to recreational boats will not yield significant environmental benefits and it will come at a very high cost. Requiring recreational boaters to purchase a permit would not prevent the spread of invasive species.

BoatUS has been a leader in educating boaters about Clean Boating practices for more than a decade. Our nonprofit Foundation has funded local education projects on invasive species prevention, helped develop voluntary Clean Marina programs, and authored much of the country's Clean Boating outreach. These positive education efforts are making a difference.

Please ask your elected federal representatives to support H.R. 2550. It is common-sense legislation. As you send your emails to your Members of Congress, please copy BoatUS at GovtAffairs@BoatUS.com . Wed also like to ask you to send a copy of your correspondence to the EPA, so they can see how this will affect citizens. However, please know that if you choose to send it to EPA, it will become a part of the public record. EPAs email is ow-docket@epa.gov , and your email needs to have a subject line with Docket ID No. OW-2007-0483.

Sincerely,

Margaret Podlich

BoatUS Government Affairs
GovtAffairs@BoatUS.com
703-461-2864 or 703-461-2878 x8363

FishWisher
07-23-2007, 03:37 PM
...if this monitoring nonsense becomes law and is managed anything like what the EPA inflicts on business, we'll be required to sample deck water, bilge water, engine cooling water, etc. etc. etc. and send the samples in for testing. Then you'll have to pray they don't send a notice of a penalty fine back to you.

How long 'til we are required to wear a filter in our shorts? Why do we still still call this The Land of the Free?

Dale

johnbfishin
07-24-2007, 06:38 AM
How long 'til we are required to wear a filter in our shorts? Why do we still still call this The Land of the Free?

Dale

Read your signature. ;) ;D ;D

FishWisher
07-24-2007, 08:32 AM
Huh? What has my signature line got to do with a filter in my shorts and the land of the free? I cannot imagine...

Dale :question :question :question

Toxic_Waste
07-28-2007, 05:49 PM
We ARE free---free to choke to death or go broke on never-ending stupid regulations. I think the day probably IS coming when we will at least have to wear "methane meters" and pay fines for any "gas emissions" over the allowed limit. Oh, and there will be a 100-page booklet of annual regs complete with changes/updates that will be posted on the Internet, and $1,000 per fart fines to pay if you don't comply. :D

BreakofDawn
08-06-2007, 11:46 AM
Mother nature always wins. Which is a good thing. If it wasn't managed it would be ruined. People take for granted the fact that there are protection agencies out there. If everyone was reposible then these angencies would be out of work. As it is, a lot of people think they are entilted to do what ever they want because they live in the land of the free. I tell you this, you would not have any rights if you do not have government protecting you from ignorant people. I am all for self regulation but I can only do my part and I am sure glad there are people out there looking out for the future so my son can enjoy some of the same things I enjoy.

I also enjoy a good joke! A shorts filter and Meth meter...Thats haularious!

Toxic_Waste
08-06-2007, 01:54 PM
It's true that there are too many irresponsible people keeping the protection agencies hard at work, but as far as I can see, irresponsible people usually don't care about laws. And if the government was successful at protecting us from ignorant people, there wouldn't be the problems we see now. Unfortunately, it seems like ignorance and irresponsibility are just as tenacious as Mother Nature... if there's a will, there's a way, no matter what the laws say.

I am not against regulation at all...only over-regulation. The unlawful just keep doing what they do and those of us who follow the rules just keep getting a heavier and heavier load to bear. I think the theory of over-regulating everything and anything seems workable, but the reality appears to suggest otherwise. If a few laws fail to do the job, then a few more also fail, how can even more laws make things better? Better for who?

I also believe that "looking out for our future" should entail a sensible balance between restrictions and preservation of freedoms. Otherwise, we can "it's for your own good" ourselves to the point where just about every move you make is going to require a permit and a fee.

Our children and grandchildren DO deserve the right to enjoy the same things we now enjoy. That's one reason why I feel so strongly about trying to make sure they can go boating and fishing someday without having to jump through an overabundance of legal hoops. Or maybe fishing and boating will get to the point where it's illegal.

Hey, BreakofDawn, I appreciate your views and enjoy the posts, and I am also glad you have a sense of humor. There is a TV show about inventors and maybe somewhere, somebody's working on one of those meth meters right now! I sure wouldn't want to help with the research on that! :D

BreakofDawn
08-07-2007, 11:53 AM
Toxic-Waste,

I am not against regulation at all...only over-regulation. The unlawful just keep doing what they do and those of us who follow the rules just keep getting a heavier and heavier load to bear. I think the theory of over-regulating everything and anything seems workable, but the reality appears to suggest otherwise. If a few laws fail to do the job, then a few more also fail, how can even more laws make things better? Better for who?

Over regulating is the absolutly the right word and I agree. However, the masses out weight the officers and there is noway the law can be everywhere. So what happens is someone breaks the law. Someone reports someone breaking the law. A law is passed to discourage the behavior which makes it harder on those who follow the law. You can't blame it on polotics. It is us to blame. IF everyone stood up to those who did wrong then over regulation would not be a problem because incidents would be down and there would be know need to create more laws. But most people including me say well I pay my taxes so it is on government to prevent these things from happening. "we the people" should start taking a closer look at the roles we play in socity and stop blaming government for trying to help. But as it is most of us sit back and say nothing because we are affriad our car will get keyed or something to that nature. The less government the better, but until we step up there is going to be nothing we can do about over regulation.

Toxic_Waste
08-07-2007, 12:15 PM
Luckily, I don't have a car that would suffer much if it were to be keyed! Now, if I had the 60s-era Cadillac hearse with custom ghost flames that I want, then I might worry! I agree with the comment about standing up to the people who put us at increased risk, whether it be with boats or cars.

When I am sitting at a green light waiting for all the red-light-runners to finally get through the intersection, I lay on the horn so they realize that their unlawful and dangerous behavior is NOT just accepted by all other drivers. I always hope to embarrass them.

It's getting to the point that if a driver does dare to move forward when the light turns green, the red-light-runners are the ones cussing and giving ugly looks, as if to say, "What the hell? Don't you know how to drive?" I really hate being the first in line at a traffic signal anymore. I heard the cameras that were catching the runners were deemed to be "unconstitutional." What's up with that? We're supposed to protect somebody's constitutional right to run a red light and kill others?

(Not about boating, but along similar lines.)

BreakofDawn
08-07-2007, 12:20 PM
Point taken. TW. It goes on and on. Now back to fishing ;D

wildturkey
08-14-2007, 09:15 PM
OOOWWW thank you that was 4 beers worth reading all that and I don'y feel any better :-/ :-/
Over a thouand laws a year passe din ca. because the authorities can't handle the idiots and the only ones that comply are ...."US" >:(

Wildturkey