PDA

View Full Version : Question about hood

troutndeer
01-26-2008, 06:30 PM
I am pretty new to sturgeon fishing from shore, I have been hearing alot about hood and I would like to ask some questions.

Where is it*:-[?

What bait?

What type of area?

Thanks!!

fishin_adiction
01-26-2008, 08:58 PM
i have yet to go there myself, but i believe it to be at the end of franklin bld off of hwy 5. It seams to be a hot spot for the last week or so, i say hit it up if you have a chance

Seceret_hole
01-26-2008, 09:48 PM
It's definitely NO hot spot, just convenient for locals that dont want to travel to far from home when there drunk..... ;)

The_Angler
01-27-2008, 09:00 AM
It's definitely NO hot spot, just convenient for locals that dont want to travel to far from home when there drunk..... ;)

Lol, no kiddin. I fish this area all the time and I cant believe all the people out there the last few weeks :o I used to be the only boat out there, yesterday I saw at least 7 other boats, and the banks lined with people. Funny how a few fish are reported from the area and all of a sudden it's the hottest spot south of the Columbia ;D

ibanezax
01-27-2008, 11:24 AM
:)
Yeah Hood is an easy place to get to, just south on I-5 to Hood-Franklin go west and you drive right into it. But, being easy to get to has it's drawbacks. Little area to park (for Bankers), trash and drunks! I've heard there is a deputy with a hard-on for illegal parking also!
But, I like to go there and there have been some fish caught!
Good Luck and go when the tide is high.

BIG_ONE
01-28-2008, 02:40 PM
Hood, i fish there all the time, its kinda rocky, but the action is good there, a lot of bank fisherman...mostly asians (hmong) im one of them myself...bank fisherman, hood...any baits works good, we use mostly eels and crawlers combo, 12-15 ft ugly stick rods filled wit 80-150lbs test powerpro, to get there, if you know where freeport bait shop is at, just follow down that road all the way down, until you see a orange sign called twin cities, keep going until the road starting to straighten out and then there should be a lot of cars, then your at hood :D ;)

troutndeer
01-28-2008, 09:36 PM
Thanks for all the great input!! :)

fysshurmun
01-29-2008, 12:24 AM
If you've never fished there before, I would not advise fishing there at night for your first trip. The bank is steep and slippery after the rain. If you stand next to the guard rail while casting, watch out for incoming car. I saw a guy almost hitting a car's windshield, in broad day light. The driver wasn't too happy.

BIG_ONE
01-30-2008, 01:22 AM
yeah hood is pretty steep, unless you fish at the very end of the spot...thats where there's a fence where you park your car along the fence and there's an orange tree...down there...there is 2 spot..the one straight down from that spot is steep but when you get down there, its flat...kinda like a cliff but its flat...to the left of that spot is a very wide spot, kinda have sand there but its wide...can fit probably about close to 7-8 poles..and there's a very flat spot there, flat enough to set a tent, and that very flat spot is wide enough to set up like 3-4 tent, and if your not sure if its the right spot, look to the left of that wide sandish spot, if you see a grassy flat area with lots of lil trees like kinda dead then your at the right spot, oh yeah and to the very end of that grassy area there's a spot too, bad place to get the fish tho, its like a cliff, i dunno how you going to get the fish and come back up lol but anyways try it :D come early though a lot of people grab those 2 spot...especially the one straight down from the fence...good luck ;)

fysshurmun
02-03-2008, 12:01 AM
big_one,

I know exactly where that spot is. I've been out there every weekend for the last month or so. Caught nothing. Lotsa misfits who will BS or annoy you into moving to another spot. But when I think of the fact that the state of California spends $45+K on an inmate a year, I think, it's cheaper for me to find another spot than for those misfits to not fish and start making trouble somewhere else.

I would not camp there at night, unless my 5 other buddies are coming a long. Also, it can be hella windy out there.

BIG_ONE
02-03-2008, 12:23 AM
ahahaha yep, still i went there today, caught none a dude got one tho, still thats like the closest place for me to go sturgy fishy :D too bad they close the spot where the road curves which they call it 45, that spot is always a lot of people approximate 20-30 cars or maybe more, i guess because the river width is smaller there, but then again i caught most of them there at hood where those 2 spot is, still wouldn't move from that spot ;)

STURGEONSTOMPER
02-06-2008, 09:25 AM
Hmmm, drunk misfits..Sounds like my kinda people. Maybe I should go check this place out. Hood, were is it :o

BIG_ONE
02-06-2008, 02:34 PM
a lil bit ahead of clarksburg :D until you reach a place where you start seeing bank fisherman :D ;)

vito
02-06-2008, 03:22 PM
SS.... ::) LOL

STURGEONSTOMPER
02-07-2008, 11:13 AM
I was in the area yesterday for 5 mins and seen a 55 incher pulled out. :o

Nice place :P

CDK_Nukka
02-07-2008, 12:19 PM
Places are always going to be packed if idiots keep giving out where to go as if they are HOT spots. Catching one keeper out of ten trips does not make it a hot spot! It makes it the same as any other spot which means you put in time and caught the right tide and were at the right path the fish was going. When I first started getting into fishing 6 years ago I didn't know any places, so me and friends explored pretty much the whole delta throughout the years and tried out each legal location that wasn't posted and discovered at least a hundred good spots from Colusa all the way down to San Pablo Bay! Hell get a delta map if you need to, it isn't that hard to figure out, fishing isn't Welfare were you can abuse the system, so everyone needs to get off there Lazy A** and do their own recon. missions to learn the area we live around in which we call the Delta! Nuff Said. :-X

striper_assasin
02-07-2008, 12:39 PM
YEAH what deltahog says!!!
[smiley=clap.gif]

dbass
02-07-2008, 12:40 PM
I was in the area yesterday for 5 mins and seen a 55 incher pulled out. *:o
Nice place :P

Stomper you sure get around ;D
Dennis

STURGEONSTOMPER
02-07-2008, 01:06 PM
They dont call me Stomp fer nuttin ;)

kromebrite
02-07-2008, 01:17 PM
Cool, a 55 incher. Probaly a lot more 5 inchers being pulled out with all that beer flowing. ::)

STURGEONSTOMPER
02-07-2008, 01:24 PM
I dont get it :-/

crowbar1
02-07-2008, 01:57 PM
Cool, a 55 incher. Probaly a lot more 5 inchers being pulled out with all that beer flowing. ::)
LOL!!!

dbass
02-07-2008, 03:23 PM
SF fan ;D

kromebrite
02-07-2008, 03:52 PM
On those cold, windy nights it's more like a bunch of 1 inchers. :-[

Put's a whole new twist to the term "shaker" ::)

crowbar1
02-07-2008, 05:40 PM
On those cold, windy nights it's more like a bunch of 1 inchers. *:-[

Put's a whole new twist to the term "shaker" ::)
The last time my wife caught a 1 inch "shaker", she threw it back so it could get to regulation size.....

gomezfish
02-07-2008, 07:11 PM
;D

fysshurmun
02-08-2008, 03:13 AM
Spot burning is not a new phenomenon. What I don't understand is why people get so upset about others posting where and when they caught their fish. And name calling is most often the form of expression of such sentiment.

What are the material differences between spending $9 on a delta fishing map and reading message boards like this one?

Both means simply suggest where you can find fish. There's no guaranty you will catch anything. Unless a poster shares info about trespassing private properties, I don't see the moral obligation to protect a spot.

Doing research about locations, be it online or with a map, has its advantages. One can find out things like whether there's access from shore, parking, launch ramp, hours of fishing allowed, personal security, distance from one's home, close by bait and food shops, and so on.

Posting about a spot is entirely voluntary. No one sticks a fillet knife to my neck asking for locations and baits I use. People on this board, I believe, are savvy enough to know that if they post about a spot, others might try to come out to the same spot. So, exact times and locations are not always shared. Now, a spot like Hood or Freeport is well known, except to the very beginners. If you see 30 cars parked along the bank on a given day, most likely 200+ anglers have gone through there in the past week. So, don't be alarmed if you find your favorite spots in one of the postings here. You would be amazed how times a spot is talked about on this board. Info is recycled so many times, this day and age. I myself don't share info about a spot the day I catch my fish, unless I don't plan to come back in a month. Usually, I work a productive spot for a while before sharing it with others.

If you feel strongly about protecting your spots, then don't post it. If you share a spot, that you know absolutely that you're the first to fish there ever (which is extremely rare, considering the number of anglers in California) with your coworker, and come back the week after to find 100 anglers there, then you should sort it out with that buddy of yours privately.

You and I don't know one another. We made no contract nor agreement. So, why am supposed to protect your "secret spots"? And how would I know they are YOUR secret spots? I can't protect something I don't know about. And if you tell me, a perfect stranger, would they still be secrets? See the problem here? By voicing your frustration about others posting your spots online simply stoke the interest of other, thus, inviting more people to that spot. The perfect response is simply silence.

Now, if you feel like being Columbus, exploring new places every time you go fishing, it's your choice. Just be cause you come across a productive spot doesn't mean you own the spot. Just because so and so say they caught 10 dinos at spot x and y in past week doesn't mean he's burning the spot. The questions you might want to ask is: How many people already know about that spot? And how accurate is the info being shared?

For me doing research prior to my fishing excursions saves me time and money. And I will continue doing that. Will I stop sharing with others about my fishing trips? Probably not. Others have helped me and I'm simply reciprocating the favors. When my favorite spots get crowded, I move. Fishing is a hobby, for mine. It doesn't put foods on my table, so, I ain't worry if there's a bit of competition. The only thing I don't like is the trash those people leave behind, that may ultimately get a spot closed down.

Blaming people for postings about where and when they catch their fish is like blaming charter boats for taking people to the fish. Only difference is someone is making $150 a person (minus gas.) If anyone should get upset, it would be charter boat operators. It's their bread and butter. But I don't hear much complaint from those folks. Why? 'Cause they're good at their game and ain't afraid of competition.

Good luck to you all.

CDK_Nukka
02-08-2008, 08:38 AM
I think you misunderstood my post. I was addressing the fact that a spot or location is given out by an individual and then later that same person gets all pissed when there is either a sign posted in the future or if there is tons of trash left. So if somebody goes out from your tips and fishes the spot with there grandpa, father, mother, uncles, aunts,sisters, brothers, cousins, friends, 3 month old baby (which I've seen before) all at once and makes the place look like a junkyard then you have NO right to get mad. It doesn't take much to pick up your mess or even burn it. Said it once and will say it again NO EXCUSE FOR LAZINESS! If you like a certain place you fish frequently then just pick who you tell more wisely that you can trust to keep it clean. Case Closed. :-X

StripeSideChaser
02-08-2008, 09:20 AM
I think you misunderstood my post. I was addressing the fact that a spot or location is given out by an individual and then later that same person gets all pissed when there is either a sign posted in the future or if there is tons of trash left. So if somebody goes out from your tips and fishes the spot with there grandpa, father, mother, uncles, aunts,sisters, brothers, cousins, friends, 3 month old baby (which I've seen before) all at once and makes the place look like a junkyard then you have NO right to get mad. It doesn't take much to pick up your mess or even burn it. Said it once and will say it again NO EXCUSE FOR LAZINESS! If you like a certain place you fish frequently then just pick who you tell more wisely that you can trust to keep it clean. Case Closed. *:-X

Spots do get blown up, also (yeah, I'm not afraid to say it). I live in the delta and found one of the hottest spots for striper during the fall run (I don't even launch my boat during the run). I fished that spot for years and it was never over crowded. I posted on another board that one night I caught 20+ keepers in a 3 hour period and the next day I couldn't get room for my sons and I to fish. My spot went from maybe 10 rods to over 100 rods overnight. Unfortunately, most of these boards have as much as 40x more lurkers than active posters and shore spots get blown up much easier than boat access areas, simply because of the lack of access to so many areas.
Of course, the way the stripers are going, it won't matter where you fish in a few more years, as they'll be all gone. :-(
The trash issue really irritates me... I usually pack out more than I pack in, simply because I can't stand to look at all the trash when I'm fishing.

rpwlaw11
02-10-2008, 01:25 AM
I dont get it :-/

Let's just say it was low blow below the belt! ;D

ibanezax
02-11-2008, 01:01 PM
I Agree!

I think you misunderstood my post. I was addressing the fact that a spot or location is given out by an individual and then later that same person gets all pissed when there is either a sign posted in the future or if there is tons of trash left. So if somebody goes out from your tips and fishes the spot with there grandpa, father, mother, uncles, aunts,sisters, brothers, cousins, friends, 3 month old baby (which I've seen before) all at once and makes the place look like a junkyard then you have NO right to get mad. It doesn't take much to pick up your mess or even burn it. Said it once and will say it again NO EXCUSE FOR LAZINESS! If you like a certain place you fish frequently then just pick who you tell more wisely that you can trust to keep it clean. Case Closed. *:-X

Spots do get blown up, also (yeah, I'm not afraid to say it). *I live in the delta and found one of the hottest spots for striper during the fall run (I don't even launch my boat during the run). *I fished that spot for years and it was never over crowded. *I posted on another board that one night I caught 20+ keepers in a 3 hour period and the next day I couldn't get room for my sons and I to fish. *My spot went from maybe 10 rods to over 100 rods overnight. *Unfortunately, most of these boards have as much as 40x more lurkers than active posters and shore spots get blown up much easier than boat access areas, simply because of the lack of access to so many areas.
Of course, the way the stripers are going, it won't matter where you fish in a few more years, as they'll be all gone. *:-(
The trash issue really irritates me... I usually pack out more than I pack in, simply because I can't stand to look at all the trash when I'm fishing.
:)