PDA

View Full Version : Dumbarton Sturgeon...

FishingTone
02-06-2008, 10:12 PM
Took a day off work to do some fishing with my bro. and a friend at Dumbarton Bridge today for the first time this year! *Fished south of Dumbarton the last 2hrs on the incoming tide with no luck! *
http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/5696/img0003yp3.jpg
Fished between the 2 Bridges on the outgoing after marked a few fishes at 45' of water.
http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/6916/img0004sm4.jpg
Hooked up this giant after an hour on the outgoing....

First fish at Dumbarton and is an under size. Didn't even want to measure before letting it back into the water.

The water starting to get ugly and windy around 2. *A nasty long ride back to the dock at 4:20

firetrout
02-06-2008, 10:19 PM
Nice job on the catch. What was the baits? Did you fish at any buoy markers or between the bridges? that one looked like a big one, did you get to measure it?

FishingTone
02-06-2008, 10:43 PM
Ghost and herring combo for bait! OH YEAH, that sure was the biggest sturgeon I ever saw in south bayÖ. I didnít bother to measure after the picture was taking.

SPORTcoupe
02-06-2008, 10:48 PM
Great job out there. Gotta resize those pictures buddy...they're off the charts!

~Alan

fishmaster
02-07-2008, 06:41 AM
Outgoing tide and wind do make for some real big waves out there. It stays pretty nice on the south side of the bridge. It's the area towards redwood city that worries me. I feel that breeze start, I'm out of there!

FishingTone
02-07-2008, 09:01 AM
Outgoing tide and wind do make for some real big waves out there. It stays pretty nice on the south side of the bridge. It's the area towards redwood city that worries me. I feel that breeze start, I'm out of there!

The water normally start getting real bad after you past the Dumbarton (84) Bridge and all the way till you get into the channel.
The Bay water sure can get a little crazy with the wind coming down from the North and with minus low tide going at the same time! We were in the air a few time b/c I couldn't slow down fast enough for the big one.

overthehill
02-07-2008, 09:13 AM
Nice pictures, you might have wanted to travel beyond the RR crossing. This is where a fishfinder or graph really comes in handy for checking the channel and finding holes in the South Bay. But from your pics it looked like the WIND could have picked up at any time.

FishingTone
02-07-2008, 10:05 AM
Nice pictures, you might have wanted to travel beyond the RR crossing. This is where a fishfinder or graph really comes in handy for checking the channel and finding holes in the South Bay. But from your pics it looked like the WIND could have picked up at any time.

I'm fairly new to boating and NEW to fishfinder and gps. I just finally figures out how to work them after getting some help from the fellas sniffer on the board and playing around with it any chance I get.
I did travel down to buoy 17 & 18 yesterday and only marked 1 or 2 fishes around that area and end up decide to fished there the rest of the incoming.
It's really amazing to see the hole and drop on the GPS once you zoom in closer! I really learned a lot about sturgeon fishing on a boat and how to use your electric equipment unit on this board for the past year.
Just want to Thanks everyone for sharing and helping out.
This board rock!!!
The best on the West Coast!!!

overthehill
02-07-2008, 11:29 AM
Yeah, with some practice using your GPS you can anchor and be right on the spot. Once the weather gets better launching out of Coyote Point isn't bad either and making a run north.

HawaiianHooker
02-07-2008, 08:47 PM
Way to look for the marks and drop in on em tone...

FishingTone
02-08-2008, 09:43 AM
Way to look for the marks and drop in on em tone...

Hey Mike,
Yeah, finally figures out what I'm looking at on the little screen. Saw a few fishes in that area but only hooked up that GIANT there and misses a pump on the hook set 20 minute after.
We celebrating our New Year this weekend so, we'll probably be out there try again on President weekend.

Tone

lovefishhappy
02-08-2008, 11:44 AM
FishingTone, I am thinking about heading out there this weekend as well, but new year and not know the place well might try next weekend. I fished South of Dumbarton Bridge 4 year ago with an uncle on his boat. Don't mind if my friends and I follow behind your boat to your secret spots do you? By the way thanks for info on photobucket webpage, now I can post pictures.