PDA

View Full Version : Derby reports

smithstation
02-02-2008, 10:15 PM
Anyone have any derby reports? :-?

Went over the Sac. at Rio Vista today and never saw a boat. Looked like the weather was a bit rough and the wind is blowing 20-40mph now. Good luck to any sniffers fishing and post your reports!!! :(

Capt'n Kev
02-03-2008, 05:35 AM
it was a tough day out there, only 7 fish weighed it.

The target length is 59 inches.

The weather last night was even worse. Lets hope today is better.

Off to the boat.........

gomezfish
02-03-2008, 08:38 AM
i just got in...we were in prospect slough throughout the night , weather was rough, we had 5 boats tied to each other and a 12 year old got a nice 63 incher

i took a pic on my cam phone , it was landed on our boat

stonesfan
02-03-2008, 08:39 AM
Can't make it out today, Safety Factor. My 14ft LUND can't take the

pounding. The wind must be blowing 20-35mph....................

Only good thing is that I have one more piece of Smoked Sturgeon

to Enjoy while watching Super Bowl Blow Out, (know what I mean).

STONESFAN [smiley=rollingstones.gif]

white_cap
02-03-2008, 10:20 AM
I wonder how many fishermen were to sauced up to get to protected waters when it started to blow
[smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=goodnight.gif]

bigg_fishh
02-03-2008, 11:27 AM
Hooked 9 landed 7 in suisun closest being 2-1/2''away we didn't enter the fish the weather was really bad.We saw a boat tied to the tules sitting in the mud no where near th water very funny.Maybe next year.

fishmaster
02-03-2008, 12:57 PM
Sure would be nice to get some nice weather. How do you see a sturgeon bite in that much wind?

bigg_fishh
02-03-2008, 07:10 PM
We double anchored but we did miss several hits due to the bimini top lesson learned.

bigdaddy90
02-03-2008, 07:20 PM
I got 6th today with my 62 5/8 incher!! $574!! paid for about half of the trip!!! first time I ever even got close (most times I dont even get a bite)my buddy jimbo won first today w 59 1/2" $7100. it was fun to be out on the water for 2 days with my son and my 2 buddies....I am stoked!! gonna go to bed now (only got 3 hours in the past 2 days)...

dimpala95
02-03-2008, 07:39 PM
I got 6th today with my 62 5/8 incher!! $574!! paid for about half of the trip!!! first time I ever even got close (most times I dont even get a bite)my buddy jimbo won first today w 59 1/2" *$7100. it was fun to be out on the water for 2 days with my son and my 2 buddies....I am stoked!! gonna go to bed now (only got 3 hours in the past 2 days)...

Good job to you and your buddy. Congrats. We were blanked.

fishin_adiction
02-03-2008, 07:45 PM
Great job bigdaddy90! you and your buddy cracked em! My bud and i got two undersized one at 42" and mine was 40", I also had a nice fat 24" striper to start sat morning off. We motored dom neer everywere but the cuts and fleet, was the weather crappy out there or what?? I think all the fish that won were all fros sat mornin or what?? What area prodused the winner?? if you dont mind?? pm me if you do thanks and congrats again!!

F A

DinoBlaster
02-03-2008, 10:28 PM
Sure would be nice to get some nice weather. How do you see a sturgeon bite in that much wind?
Hold yer pole ;D

Phat_Phisher_209
02-04-2008, 01:44 PM
what a blow out in the super bowl ;)....haha jk...great game tho go G-Men!!!

crowbar1
02-04-2008, 11:49 PM
Where did the fish that were caught, come from?

fish4hc
02-05-2008, 07:29 PM
we fished ozol,monty and the cuts with some action.We had a few nice pull down with no hookups,1 keeper striper sdr,1 lost sturgy and 1 44 incher.Real crappy weather,especially on sat night.Kinda bummed I didnt even get a keeper in this years derby.Last year saw way more action.

On a side note is it just me or does there seem to be alot less shakers in the delta lately.I remember just a few years back and we would catch shakers all day every day.Now it seems like I have better chances of hooking up a keeper or oversize.Kinda scary imho.

crowbar1
02-07-2008, 02:27 PM
* * * * * * * * * * *****DISCLAMER****
Let me preface this post by saying that I am in no way, shape, or form saying that I think that there is a grand plot to be dishonest by the derby staff. I just wanted to show that in keeping with tradition every year, someone cries foul. I think that we are lucky to have this derby, and it is what it is...

(From usafishing.com)
"Jay Sorensen of Jolly Jay's Guide Service fished the lower shoals yesterday in miserable conditions for a 44-inch shaker released. He said the wind and rain made things very difficult, but he had fun fighting and releasing the small sturgeon which inhaled his ghost shrimp. He added that a 58.5-inch sturgeon was landed by a former customer of his in Mandeville Cut on a combination of ghost shrimp and shad. Jay, who has seen a few thousand sturgeon, measured this fish 3 times and came up with a length of 58.5-inches. When the fish was measured at McAvoy's, Jay said the length was an inch shorter."