PDA

View Full Version : water temps and sturgeon activity

Bankbonker
02-03-2008, 01:53 PM
we had a cold snap that sent water temps down quite a bit. recorded temps in the Columbia and the Cowlitz (major tributary of the Columbia) were 38-39*. up here it seems that what everyone looks for to signal the start of the sturgy bite is the smelt moving in to spawn, which happens when water temps hit 40* or more. the sturgeon are supposed to really key in on them as prey. this usually happens between Feb. and March and then in summer, the shad get locked onto and everyone says match the hatch, right?. your observations? :-? am i wasting my time fishing water that cold? :o

BIG_ONE
02-03-2008, 03:20 PM
lol don't worry about it, just head out there and get some dino, dino bite on every water temp, no worries :D ;)

fishin_adiction
02-03-2008, 07:57 PM
I have noticed that the colder water temps due hold them up a bit, but they still bite, i like usin scent in the colder water temps, pay attention to the temp, if it has been cold but the water temp has been stayin arond the same temp u should be fine, its when it sudenly drops quite a few degree is when they seem to not want to bite, almost like they need to aclimate themselfs or something?? just my 2 cents

F A

Bankbonker
02-03-2008, 08:49 PM
this area can also be tricky when it comes to rain/snow. by us it may be raining, but up at the headwaters its snowing, dumping ice cold run off into the river. i also think there's a difference in what its like when it rains. if theres steady cold and it rains, so-so, but if a warming trend moves thtrough bringing with it warmer rain, that can actually help raise river temps and activate the bite due to the food being washedinto the river.

Bb ;D

fishin_adiction
02-04-2008, 07:48 AM
in theory that works the same down here, just that the mountains are a little further away, buth the snow melt run off dropes the temp, but not as drastically