PDA

View Full Version : whats the best line for leaders?

strongster
01-29-2008, 07:24 PM
cable or braid or mono? I would think braid wouild work wit mono mainline. any advice would be appreciated?

Right_Hook
01-29-2008, 08:00 PM
Braid main, 60-80lb mono leader!!! works for me

Afishinado
01-29-2008, 08:18 PM
strongstar I use all three types of lines that you mention and they all work good. you cant go wrong with any of them I pay more atention to the bait that I use. if I had to choos just one?. I would go with. OOPS HOLD ON AMIGO FISH ON iyl get back at you.

strongster
01-29-2008, 08:27 PM
what about 2 hooks on braided leader. this is my set up 25# mono main line and 18-24"cable leader. what is cheapest way to go? probably 60 # mono. Iwould think ande line is ok as long as it is fresh? still climbing out of x-mas thats why, im not generally to bad of a cheapskate.

strongster
01-29-2008, 08:29 PM
oooohhhh yeah almost forgot, what about 2 hooks on mono or braid, your thoughts?

BIG_ONE
01-29-2008, 10:30 PM
Braid as leader is not such a good idea as i experience it, for braid...dino diamond plate if it scrapes on it, it'll cut it right off, same goes as if it scrapes on rock it cuts it right off, its very strong without touching those 2 thing i listed but if it does then say bye bye to dino, mono line will do, sometimes it cut still, i had one fish that actually cut through my 80lbs mono as leader, believe it or not...i normally use coated wire 90#...its actually waaaaaay tougher then 90# its only 90# on thickness only, but waaaaay stronger... :D

fishin_adiction
01-30-2008, 06:20 AM
The cheepest way would be to keep using what you have. In my preference i also use at least a 60# coated wire, too save money i started to make my own cable leaders. It saves money in the long run, you buy the stuff (cable, crimps, and beads), i think that i totalled 20 bucks after everthing including some more hooks. With just one small pack of cable i was able to make 10 leaders, with lots o extra crimps and such, just needed to buy longer role of cable, but if you do the math, 10 leaders at 2 dollars is 20 bucks, i hardly ever look at the price of leaders in bait stores, but i know thay at wallfart for 2.99.

The cool thing is you can make them whatever lenght you want, and can clip wieght to it as well, but premade you are left with what you got

riplips
02-01-2008, 09:18 PM
You can use any of the above. I make my own leaders with 49 strand wire, the 49 strand is a bit more flexible than 7 strand so you can go up a little heavier and still have the same flexibility. I used to use dacron leaders because of some talks of sensitive mouths of sturgeon, but found that in heavy current it is actually to soft and ends up wrapping *up on itself. Many people will talk about wire because of the razor like scutes on sturgies, which will sometimes roll in a fight, but my thoughts are that if a sturgeon rolls during a fight, in most cases if it only manages 1 roll the wire leader is usually short enough that it is going to be into the main line anyway. just my .02

NB

B-RAN
02-01-2008, 10:13 PM
Braid main, 60-80lb mono leader!!! works for me
nailed it ;)

C-dub
02-02-2008, 09:34 AM
I like to use 60-90 coatedwire for the mentioned reasons. I find it pretty inexpensive to make my own leaders, and they canbe customized. I also like the security of knowing that it will not cut from abrasions. However I have seen sturgies landed on all the lines mentioned and it seems as though it all comes down to personal choice. The most important thing is getting that bait down on the bottom.

GN.
02-02-2008, 05:11 PM
It's 80-100lb mono leader for me. Between myself and the guys I fish with we haven't had a failure yet. They're easy to make and cheap. I use one hook snelled to the one end and a surgeons loop on the other. I tested this setup on the bench and you can straiten out the hood without the knots letting go. It does take a little practice to tie the knots well with the heavy line. On the main line I use 65lb braid.

The biggest sturgeon brought to my boat was on 40lb mono. I just like a little insurance. That's all.

metalmouth
02-02-2008, 05:33 PM
130 lb. IGFA Class Dacron, most of the guys that hunt oversize fish use it in our neck of the woods. ;) The fish can't feel it and they won't break it and it doesn't harm the fish like braided leader.

MM

BIG_ONE
02-02-2008, 11:35 PM
oh yeah almost forgot, sturgeon also spins like alligator when you're fighting it, make sure your leader is very tough...i doubt any braid can handle the spin of the dino due to their diamond plate...best wit 80lbs+ mono or 90+ coated wire...just giving a heads up ;)