PDA

View Full Version : DERBY SUPERBOWL WEEKEND??

fishin_adiction
01-23-2008, 02:55 PM
So i just got a call from my fishin buddy, apperently when we were at the sac ise show, he picked up a pamphlet on a derby for the weekend of the superbowl. I was not paying attention, and he didnt show me.. dam him!! but he did tell me today that he entered both me and my boat! Was wondering if any one had any details on this derby, i think it is held down by pitsburg. i would like to know if there are any limitations as to were we can fish or what, who all is going, they say that there were 700 baots last year?? is this true, if so sounds like quite an adventure!

fish4hc
01-23-2008, 03:38 PM
Thats the superbowl weekend derby out of mcAvoys in baypoint.There are alot of boats in that derby and it can get ugly on the water.Combat fishing in boats not to mention the most anoying chat on the radio.

Lots of idiots on the water.Yet I sometimes find myself out there.I guess its like the outlet hole on the feather.I cant stand the place and what goes on there but i still find myself in the mix of things.

Here is a link.I think its old but(2006)but you will get the idea.But remember the new and current sturgeon fishing regs.
http://www.originalsturgeonderby.com/index.html

gomezfish
01-23-2008, 07:06 PM
lol i grew up around this derby, fished itthe last 2 years , always fun

fishin_adiction
01-23-2008, 07:34 PM
hey baitnbeer, can we fish any place we want or can we only go so far out? like mbf, or can we fish out in spb or even further like south bay? thanks, and how did u do?

gomezfish
01-23-2008, 08:53 PM
i think you can fish anywhere , my buddies fished down by isleton while we fished around the fleet , all we caught were stripers , ended up getting stuck on the big sandbar and had to fish the shallows untill the tide came in.

tyeroflies
01-23-2008, 10:01 PM
If you have women and children on board, turn off the VHF.

fishin_adiction
01-24-2008, 08:10 AM
*So i take it that there is a lot of foul mouthed colorfull language out there huh? *It says that you need radio 4 updates and such about the derby! that sucks, hope that most of them use different channel.

* I was also wondering how they are going to do this, is says that fishing starts at 7 am in the mornin on saturday and stops at 1 on sunday (I think), but they also say that they pay out the first seeven places both sat and sun, so are we allowed to fish all sat night, and if so, does it count for sunday?? *I am looking at the possible tide predictions, and it looks better at night?? go figure!!!

*My budd and i had a good idea, well at least we thnk so, we are planning on sellin hot dogs and or hamburgers, got a bbq on the boat, so at least we might make our entrance money back, i know i hate when we forget to bring a lot of snacks and stuff on the water.

*I dont have any stars 4 the boat, but i do have an older cuddy, white with blue stripe, well white is more of cream and have a red bimini top, if you guys want a dog or two, cruise on over, but be mindfull cause we ARE IN the derby as well, should have the fixins as well, lookin forward to meetin some new people and maybee put some faces with the peeps i talk on here with,

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/4684/boatlowresoo6.th.jpg (http://img169.imageshack.us/my.php?image=boatlowresoo6.jpg)

Killer2
01-24-2008, 02:34 PM
The fishing starts on 7 am on saturday and goes till midnight, thats is day one. then 12:01am to 1pm is for sunday. It is a great Idea to shut off the radio, it is even worse the night.

STURIPER
01-24-2008, 10:35 PM
If you have women and children on board, turn off the VHF. *
DITTO ON THAT! Lots of bad things that kids shouldn't hear!

gomezfish
01-24-2008, 10:38 PM
lol...gotta love them west pittsburg derbys!

GCinGV
01-26-2008, 10:00 AM
I don’t think there are any boundaries but the fish have to be weighed in live and in good shape and then released which makes it a little impractical to be very far away.
Be sure to reserve bait at least a week ahead of time or you’ll have to resort to the three year old Sardines from the bottom of the freezer. Grass Shrimp gets especially scarce if it’s been raining a lot with lots of freshwater coming down. Wouldn’t hurt to pick up some freezable baits now just to be safe, Eel, Roe, etc. Real drag when they say “our order didn’t come in” or you can only have half of what you reserved.
If there happens to be a low tide late Saturday afternoon and you want some cheep entertainment cruse by any of the shallow ramps like Vallejo and watch the mud racing competitions.
Good luck with the derby.
GC

fishin_adiction
01-26-2008, 11:13 AM
HAHA i know what you mean i was almost one of them launchin out of vallejo early one morning, when backin boat up i stuck the friggin prop in the mudd!! :-? shut her off right away, trimmead her al the way out and dropped the kicker to get into the channel, if sucked, theses guys were watchin and laughin at me, when they did on other side of ramp, guess what, it was even shallower, they trimmed out and used main drive, i saw mud flingin back on shore, idiots i think.. they blast away while i am leanin out the back digin mud out of prom and checkin intake whole, got a little wet, but better safe then sorry right?? read somewheres that good idea to run motor for a few min out of gear to insure good flow out cooling system, and away i go, and low and behold the guys that were laghin and piontin and such, well they were anchored just before the wall with engine cover off scratchin there heads :-? :-? :-/

I thought to stop and help, but there obsene jestures earlier told me otherwise, i would have gave them tow on way home if they were still stranded ;) all in all thank god for high tide cause i would have not been able to trailer her with my 2wd suburban, not high enough, takes on water in truck, and we all know that suck!! thanks for the info GCinGV i callin around now

fishermen_chris
01-26-2008, 08:29 PM
watch out for the people that just happen to bring in a fish 15 minutes after they announce the target length. All be out sat. afternoon till sunday. To old to stay on the center council that long. ;D

Lisa Jean
01-26-2008, 08:40 PM
I't my forth year, I have afix for all the vulgar radio traffic this year. Keep your ear open you'll know its me. I love the derby, the pay back and the limitless boundaries. I've got plenty of bait now but have more on the way.

chiselchest
01-26-2008, 10:41 PM
I suppose if one chooses to keep the radio off (GREAT IDEA) because of the racist trash talk-BS, etc. you could always call in on the cell phone for updates. Might check with the bait shop to get good phone numbers if they're busy...

I have to work nights that weekend, but will definately watch the show at my local ramp...LOL

Capt'n Kev
01-28-2008, 12:15 AM
we will be there both days....yahoo! get to fish this one!!

fishin_adiction
01-28-2008, 05:12 AM
Oh No there goes the neiborhood!! Capn kev is on the loose, might not even go now!! Just kidding! HA i would love a shot at placin in the derby, it would definately boost my confidence in my fishing skills, hopefully it all works out this weekend, pullin everything i have learned from everyone here and what i did already know, and wammo!!

Good luck to all who are entered and hope we all have good day on the water, the reports i have seen say its going to rain, anyone herd different???

Hey Kev, are you taking out costomers, or you hitin it up for fun?? One day i have to talk my bud into chartering your boat, i would think it to be fun, almost everytime i see your boat out there it has a fish along with it, would really like to pick the master apart for some great advise!

Capt'n Kev
01-28-2008, 07:43 AM
Nope, just out fishing with Team Toyota & crew.

fishin_adiction
01-28-2008, 09:35 AM
Fishin for fun is always better than work! Good luck to you guys out there!

crowbar1
01-28-2008, 01:39 PM
If it is raining and or blowing, will you guys still fish the derby? If so, will you stay out all night on Saturday, or head in?

Capt'n Kev
01-28-2008, 01:45 PM
we will probably stay out all night, at least three of us will.

crowbar1
01-28-2008, 03:11 PM
I will be out all night as well. I can't imagine how cold it must be for the guys with the open boats, or small cuddys.

Thank god for big boats...

BTW Kevin, I really enjoyed your seminar at the Sac ISE show. I learned alot about cold water fishing. You did a great job!

SPORTcoupe
01-28-2008, 04:23 PM
Is there a website or something with official rules for this year's derby?
Haven't had a chance to pick up a flyer.

~Alan

crowbar1
01-28-2008, 04:28 PM
Is there a website or something with official rules for this year's derby?
Haven't had a chance to pick up a flyer.

~Alan
http://originalsturgeonderby.com/entryform.html

white_cap
01-28-2008, 07:37 PM
The word I got at B S Bait at McAvoys, the boundaries are from the Carquinez bridge to the Antioch bridge. That was a couple week ago, that may change. Be careful out there, especially at night, a lot of drunks flying around

crowbar1
01-28-2008, 08:00 PM
The word I got at B S Bait at McAvoys, the boundaries are from the Carquinez bridge to the Antioch bridge. That was a couple week ago, that may change. Be careful out there, especially at night, a lot of drunks flying around

Please say it is not so.... That would suck!!!!!!!
It does not say that on the website

SPORTcoupe
01-29-2008, 08:55 AM
Please say it is not so....
About the drunks, or about the boundaries? :P

~Alan

bigg_fishh
01-29-2008, 11:57 AM
I'll be there for the duration .Last year we called in for updates that worked well.If you rely on the radio for updates your going to get mad.

ZACK
01-31-2008, 08:48 AM
I'll be there for Saturday day, but not sure if I will stay over night due to weather? Also, there is no jurisdiction / boundaries. The guys down at the club where I registered had me rolling when they said quote "You can catch one in Florida as long as you get *it back here on time and unaltered"! *;D

Nor Cal, you fishing this one? ZACK!

dimpala95
01-31-2008, 10:08 AM
I'll be there for Saturday day, but not sure if I will stay over night due to weather? Also, there is no jurisdiction / boundaries. The guys down at the club where I registered had me rolling when they said quote "You can catch one in Florida as long as you get *it back here on time and unaltered"! *;D

Nor Cal, you fishing this one? ZACK!

Yep, that's what they told me yesterday, no boundaries. They even said the same thing about Florida too. ;D Weigh in for Saturday is midnight and for Sunday it's 1300. That means it has to be weighed in, not waiting to be weighed in. So, give yourself enough time to make sure you're weighed in before the time deadline.

DinoBlaster
01-31-2008, 10:47 AM
Nope, just out fishing with Team Toyota & crew.

Can I fish with you? ..I drive a Toyota :D

GCinGV
01-31-2008, 07:03 PM
Looking like bait is going to be in short supply for this one guys. My partner fished SP today for 1-44” in the shallows during the out-go but he said none of the three shops in Vallejo had any shrimp. He finally found some at Benicia after making some calls.
GC

gomezfish
01-31-2008, 07:31 PM
ill be out there!!

fishin_adiction
01-31-2008, 10:34 PM
Does any one know if we have to check in in fri??? or as long as we paid up were ok, thanks :-?

fish4hc
02-01-2008, 06:38 AM
You do not have to check in.Once you pay you are in.

Just checked weather reports and we got rain coming saturday afternoon until sunday mid morning.Sure wish I had a cabin cruiser for this one.Looks like top up,tarps and rain gear.Man,sometimes I wonder if my wife is right.Am I crazy?Oh well.

Fish On!

fishin_adiction
02-01-2008, 07:38 AM
yeah i hear ya, i have been getting the boat ready for the last week and a half, goin out and siliconein up as much of the leeks as i can so i can stay dry as possible, we are takin mine cause of the rain, orelse we would be just like you!!

fish4hc
02-01-2008, 07:51 AM
Good luck out there guys.Also be safe out there and remember to always keep a look out.See you guys otw.