PDA

View Full Version : Hooks

wood2turn
01-24-2008, 05:04 PM
What size and type of hooks are you all using? Is there a preferred style? I was thinking circle hooks.
Terry B.

keepn_it_reel
01-24-2008, 06:12 PM
I prefer the 6. pre tied 50# cable line single or double hook with a 1/8 oz split shot about 20" away from the hook

fysshurmun
01-25-2008, 01:18 AM
I usually use 80lbs mono snelled to a single 7/0 octopus hook. 80lbs is stiff enough to keep it from wrapping around the mainline and large enough for you to grab when pulling in a fish.

I've caught a couple of keepers on circle hooks. First time, I thought it was just pure luck. But the second time changed my mine. Both times, I used circle hooks simply because I wanted to take a nap. Most people fishing for sturgeons would laugh at the idea, though. But hey, it worked for me. ;D

donzitroller
01-25-2008, 09:30 AM
While hook type is a preference, I think the most important thing is that your hook is SHARP. I've caught sturgeon on Kahle, Octo, and circle. IMHO most of the hooks in the pre-tied sturgeon leaders are junk. Pull an Owner or Gami out of the pack and compare the point sharpness to one of the outta the pack hooks and you'll see what I'm talkin about. I think hook quality is more important than hook type.

fishin_adiction
01-25-2008, 09:40 AM
pluss in long run u save money by makin them urself! i got tired of spendin money on that junk, where did those hooks even come from, for all we know they could be makin them outa cheap pot metal or somethin?? just my opinion

ZACK
01-25-2008, 11:26 AM
Owners are a much better hook than Gamakatsu Donzi IMO. I base this on fishing live bait in the bay. For years I fished Gamakatsu and they are good hooks but I did notice that I had to change em out every other live bait trip due to the fine point would begin to dull or bend over itself after stabbing baits through the heads all day while the owner would continue to poke me and draw blood for days!

I like the Owner cutting point 5/0, or 6/0 hooks and recently ordered some of their K hooks in 5/0 size.

For leader material I use 90 lb coated wire (it will last longer and will not kink like lighter wire after multiple landed fish and fish aren't leader shy). Single hook for Roe, and double hooks for shrimp, or combo baits. I cut a piece 24 to 30 inches and go up from the hooks 6 inches and smash a crimp on the wire. I then slide on a 1/2 oz egg weight. Next I go up around 8 inches and smash on another crimp. Next I slide on a red plastic snap to attach my weight. I end by crimping a loop at the top to attach to my swivel on my main line. I like to have my sliding weight snap on the wire as it gives me a foot of extra protection from the fish on the main line and it also keeps my weight from fouling on the main line during long cast. This will occationally happen if you have the slider above your leader and on your main line and if it is fouled and you get FISH ON good luck landing that fish. ZACK!

smithstation
01-25-2008, 11:40 AM
I use power pro, usually 80# for my leader. Tipped with an owner 7/0 or a gamakatsu 5 or 6/0 if I am more targeting stripers.

BIG_ONE
01-25-2008, 12:09 PM
using power pro as a leader is a bad idea, once it scrape with the rocks, it'll cut it right off, plus i've use 80lbs mono for leader before, once i caught a fish that actually cut my 80lbs mono with its diamond plates, i now use 90lbs coated wire, they last pretty long, real strong too, and hooks...owner hook rules...they are super tough, stay sharp most of the time :D ;) :D

smithstation
01-25-2008, 01:40 PM
using power pro as a leader is a bad idea, once it scrape with the rocks, it'll cut it right off, plus i've use 80lbs mono for leader before, once i caught a fish that actually cut my 80lbs mono with its diamond plates, i now use 90lbs coated wire, they last pretty long, real strong too, and hooks...owner hook rules...they are super tough, stay sharp most of the time *:D ;) :D

I always have coated cable leaders in the boat (homemade) but I tend to stick to the PP. I have never lost a fish due to it breaking from rocks or abrasions, only a poor not, my fault. The catch ratio for me seems to be better on the PP but I also use it twice as much as the cable.

ZACK
01-25-2008, 03:44 PM
using power pro as a leader is a bad idea, once it scrape with the rocks, it'll cut it right off, plus i've use 80lbs mono for leader before, once i caught a fish that actually cut my 80lbs mono with its diamond plates, i now use 90lbs coated wire, they last pretty long, real strong too, and hooks...owner hook rules...they are super tough, stay sharp most of the time *:D ;) :D

I always have coated cable leaders in the boat (homemade) but I tend to stick to the PP. I have never lost a fish due to it breaking from rocks or abrasions, only a poor not, my fault. The catch ratio for me seems to be better on the PP but I also use it twice as much as the cable.

Power Pro, heavey Mono, Dacron, its all good. Some years back I had friends that used heavy Dacron. For me Cable is the best because it is rigid and never tangles. I can also add egg weights as sliders, and they absolutely will NEVER break if crimped properly. Trust me sturgeon are not sensitive to pokes and sticks in their mouths. Think about it most of the time they eat clams which are like rocks and shrimp are sharp lil buggers. ZACK!

FisherBoats
01-25-2008, 03:48 PM
7/0-8/0 octopus

mjonesjr
01-26-2008, 05:53 PM
Sharp ones :D Owner Octopus & Gamakatsu Octopus Hooks 6/0, 7/0, 8/0 sizes ;)

Screaming Reels,

mjonesjr

wood2turn
01-26-2008, 06:06 PM
Hey good discussion! Thanks everyone!!

7/0 seems to be the most popular size and wire leaders (homemade) also seem to be the way to go. I can do that! Of course sharp hooks goes without saying. I use gama's for virtually everything else I fish for so I'll prb. stick with those. I've never seen Owners avail. around here but I'll check around again.

Terry B.

Right_Hook
01-29-2008, 08:09 PM
it all depends what your usin for bait!!! for roe i use 10/0 oct. owner or 6/0 double frog hook with a half once non-lead egg weight. shrimp baits I like a double 6/0 owner oct. with a 1/4 oz non lead egg weight. All with a 18in 80lb mono leader. This for the delta. For SPB I Like a lil longer leader and lil less wieght on the leader!!!

Bankbonker
01-29-2008, 08:35 PM
i've been using sand shrimp or half a pickled smelt (Sturgeon Candy) as bait with a 5/0 Gama Octopus hook. I use about 80 pound braided for leaders, about 2 feet long, FWIW ;D

there's a store in Lynnwood that was stocking Owner in those sizes a while back. Let me know and i could probably pick some up for you if we get together for that trip i PM'd you about.

Bb

NorCal_Bangers
01-29-2008, 08:49 PM
5/0 owner in the winter....7/0 owner in the summer.

never a double hook only single...

80# mono leader always...

1/2 egg sinker straight to the leader....

22" on average not to much longer not ever shorter...i measure one out at 22" and then cut away based on that one...sometimes they are a few centermeters longer if i get in a hurry.

but the most important thing has already been mentioned...the MUST BE SHARP!!!!!!! i carry a sharping stone on the boat and every few casts i sharpen them myself!!!!!!

NCB

fishin_adiction
01-30-2008, 06:28 AM
Hey NCB, do you swear by the owner hooks, I was in the fish warehouse by my place the other day and the owners were considerably cheaper than the gama. Do you find this elsewhere two? I have always been a fan of get what you pay for, and they didnt have any big sizes, so stayed with the gama's. Do you measure the leader after the hooks have been crimped on or you measurin just the leader itself?? thanks for the info, hope you do good this weekend!

NorCal_Bangers
01-30-2008, 07:32 AM
i do perfer owner oer gamagatsu....just me...and usually it is the other way around i havent seen owner's cheeper...usually they are MORE expensive and come with less hooks per pack when looking at equal size hooks.

as for the leader...i measure it without the hook...the reason for this is beacuse when i slide the crimp on and then the hook, and then make the loop it usually boils down to a 1/2 in take up of line and same for the other end....so i come out with a 21" leader from the tip of the eye to the top of the loop where it attaches to the main line.

no i do not use a barrell swivel at the end....that is why i keep saying loop at the other end...i use a 250# or better class snap swivel that is tied to the main line...it always stays there...just open the snap and attach the leader...when i am all done fishing...open up and take the leader out, close up the snap and reel up the slack...NO HOOKS TO GET TANGLED UP and POKE ME!!!!!!!!!

fishin_adiction
01-30-2008, 08:23 AM
Wow, I didnt look at the number of hooks, might have to go back there in a couple o days when they resuply, And i like the way u got snap swivel, i tie mianline to regular swivel on crimped leader, might have to change it up a bit, keep things cleaner, ....
So i take it that your weight / slider is on the leader?? or is it on main line above snap?

I am makin a couple differnt setups for the derby this weekend, i even try a couple with eggsink on the leader down low like on other posts just to see, might help.. Once again, thanks for the info!!

F A

NorCal_Bangers
01-31-2008, 04:17 PM
yea, egg sinker on the leader allowing it to slide all the way to the hok eye...helps keep the bait down IMO....some people put a bead under the egg sinker to prevent it from smashing the knot they tie...

but when you use 80# mono and crimps you dont need to use a bead because there is no knot to protect....i use one to help the sinker slide more efficently up and down.

NCB