PDA

View Full Version : Buoy33 report Monty almost

Hot_Rod
01-26-2008, 07:08 PM
Well after a three week hiatus of straight work and ISE shows I was ready to get back on the water. Looking at the weather reports I figured I was in for a beating, but I had to get out. Friday night was ugly as I made a quick stop by Benicia Bait and Tackle for some great roe. Had the opportunity to meet Curtis for the first time. Nice guy and shop.

Anyway I figured I better skip the bite in OAP because the monsoons would surely be blowing on the open bay. *Weatherundergound.com confirmed my suspicions. Decided to run for the shelter of Monty instead. *Having not fished my boat in three weeks....I think she was upset with me. A few little annoying problems that come with lack of use. Trailer lights blinking, cabin door lock sticking etc. Time for some maintenance...... so much for fishing Sunday too.

Met up with SportCoupe at Martinez and we left the harbor 06:30. Lots of debris in the water. Picked up a little grass on the way out, boat started to cavitate at speed. Slowed it down and threw in into reverse. Whew cleared up fine. Just get her back up to speed and hit another pile of stuff , *but we are OK and still making forward progress toward the entrance to Monty. Finally get set up just below the bridge. A few marks area looks good, but after a few hours nothing. We fished a multitude of baits, two with jps, one roe and one eel/jps combo. *At tide change in the afternoon wind came up a little so we moved up above the bridge to try and get a better angle with the tide and wind. Tried out my new drift sock (aka the pup tent) worked great but man is it big. As the tide starts to pick up. I finally get a decent hit and bang I'm hooked up. Feels heavy I get a couple of slow head movements, the adrenalin is starting to kick in, three reel cranks and pop...........Gone......slipped the hook. The hook up came on the Eel/JPS combo. For the most part that was the only excitment we had all day. Alan and I had a couple of other light taps, but that was it. Noticed a little miss in the engine on the way back. Pulling plugs and rotor cap and changing fuel filter tomorrow. Time for my 100 hour maintenance, need to get my girl ready for next week end. *

Ron

fishin_adiction
01-26-2008, 08:54 PM
thanks for the rebort, sorry to hear about the quirks with the boat, but look on the bright side, at least you found them out now, and not derby weekend! ;) think if weather is good enough, might do the same with mine in the next couple o days.. lots o junk huh? does this mean slolem boating??? cool some of my fave! ;D

freon
01-27-2008, 09:26 PM
Hey buddy, sorry to hear that you two didnt get any in, still beats cabin fever, I never got out saturday :(
I called it off when I heard about the winds, only to find out that it was much calmer than what the forecasters were calling for, glat you guys got out at least ;)

Hot_Rod
01-28-2008, 05:30 AM
Thanks, I hear you on the weather reports. I was hoping to fish OAP but the wind forcast did not look good for the bay, the Pittsburg area looked doable. I saw a report later on CS that somebody did well at OAP and that the forcast there was off the mark as well. It was pretty nice up in Monty we had maybe a 6 to 10 knot wind, which was almost exactly what was predicted.

Ron

fishin_adiction
01-28-2008, 05:45 AM
Hey buoy 33, do you find that website to be more accurate than others, cause ive gone out betting on what was reported elsewhere, and got nice and wet, so just wondering how you like it?? Thanks

F A

Hot_Rod
01-28-2008, 06:16 AM
On the river I use weather underground.com. I like it because it gives a break down of the wind throughout the day. Much better than the Noaa reports. I'll also look at Real Wind and see what actually going on the morning of http://sfports.wr.usgs.gov/cgi-bin/wind/windbin.cgi *Out in the bay I like intellecast because it also gives a break down of wind throughout but it is not detailed enough for the river http://www.intellicast.com/National/Wind/WINDcast.aspx?location=USCA1011

I also use intellecast when going outside for salmon or tuna and suppliment that with the buoy data. I will look at Noaa for the swell predictions, but Noaa is useless on the river or the bay. There are just too many micro climates going on for it to be accurate.

fishin_adiction
01-28-2008, 06:21 AM
dude thanks for relayin the link, even better, I lke it alot, its a little different, but i figure it out!! right on Hope you do better on your next trip, and if i see ya on the water i say Heeeellllooooooo! :D

SPORTcoupe
01-28-2008, 11:56 AM
For the most part that was the only excitment we had all day. Alan and I had a couple of other light taps, but that was it.
I think Ron just about covered our day on the water. I had prepped for heavy rain, and thought we would really be braving the elements. There wasn't a drop all day, and virtually no wind until noon-ish.

There was one thing that made me chuckle a bit. At our first spot, a furbag slowly made his way towards the boat. Last time he came up for air, he was definitely within casting range, and directly behind the boat. As he submerged once again, Ron announced: "He better not touch my bait. That's never happened to me before." Seconds later, Ron's outside rod gets hit HARD, and I'm thinking to myself: "Oh ****, this is gonna be interesting". Luckily nothing came of it (must have tail-slapped it or something). I also though about how fun it would be for the kayaker behind us to hook into the furbag. That'd be a sight to see. Then I wondered to myself what a kayaker was doing there in the first place, with the forecasts being what they were. I guess I do a lot of wondering while fishing. =

It was a good day on the water, and I'm definitely looking forward to a fruitful trip next weekend.

Cheers,
~Alan

freon
01-28-2008, 12:19 PM
Oh, okay I get it now Alan, Rons big hit was a tail ;D
He was just wishing he was setting the hook into something else ;D
#$%^&* furbags, sure do wish they would open up a season on them :-/

SPORTcoupe
01-28-2008, 12:51 PM
LOL. No, the snag Ron hooked was in another location. =
It put up a hell of a fight for about 5 seconds. Too bad really. Could have been a trophy-sized log.

~Alan

freon
01-29-2008, 11:56 AM
LOL. No, the snag Ron hooked was in another location. =
It put up a hell of a fight for about 5 seconds. Too bad really. Could have been a trophy-sized log.

I cant think of anyone that deserves a huge sturgy more than Ron, that man seriously puts a lot of time on the water for them ;)