PDA

View Full Version : ? about roe....

GoT HeeeeM
01-23-2008, 02:16 PM
wondering what everyone thinks.....which is better, cured or none cured roe for sturgeon?? i have tons of cured roe, but here it doesnt work as well....replies greatly appreciated

onemore_pass
01-23-2008, 02:43 PM
Down in your area use non cured roe.As a matter of fact use non cured roe anywhere on the river and delta.But wait until the water warms up a little.Roe doesn't seem to milk very good in cold water.
Your shrinp baits work better this time of year.
Just my 2 cents.

fish4hc
01-23-2008, 02:55 PM
I like uncured as well.More natural.Although I knew a guy who was a sturgeon slayer and swore by cured roe.He used a borax and sugar cure.

I agree that roe doesnt milk as well in the cold but a good scent can help with that imho.Buddy and I have been playing around with different mixes and thickneses of scent on roe.Capt. kev has spoken a word or two on scents in cold water in a post.

jinro
01-23-2008, 09:35 PM
does anyone know a place in the east bay or north bay that sales uncured roe?

Capt'n Kev
01-23-2008, 11:41 PM
this time of year....uncured roe with a heavy emphasis on herring or shrimp scents is a good set up. keep the scent as liquid as possible. once last year, I even resorted to heating the roe before putting it in the water.

we have been taking out the roe the night or two before, adding in the scent then, then keep adding it on whatever your bait. then be ready to check the bait and rescent every 20 minutes or less.

you know me...roe, roe, roe your boat....then soak it down good with a winter pattern scent.

its tough to get good uncured roe from most baitshops. I had heard the Benecia Bait had some for a while.

Good luck out there!!

keepn_it_reel
01-24-2008, 03:54 PM
haven't fished much with roe what's the best way to keep it on the hook?

GoT HeeeeM
01-24-2008, 04:29 PM
haven't fished much with roe what's the best way to keep it on the hook?
usually any fishing store, tackle shop etc... you can find a red meshy netting.. you wrap around your ball of roe with that, and then a couple of wraps with some miracle thread and your good to go...

thanks for all the replys...so i guess none cured is the way to go for sturgeon??? i cured the roe that i have with some kind of pink, almost looks like fertalizer lookn stuff...says it was made specifically for cureing salmon roe....so idk....i gave some of it to my friend a while back and him and another friend limited out with stripers to 12 lbs!! while they were sturgeon fishing too! go figure...

it has a really milky trail behind it once its in the water, even after sittin on the bottom for 30 min...im thinkin of adding some clam juice to it, or maybe some herring oil...change things up a bit....you never know right???

overthehill
01-24-2008, 04:55 PM
Spoke to Ly at Ly's Fishing Goods, San Jose and they carry uncured salmon roe $6.99 1/2 lb. 408-629-9644.

rblucky2
01-24-2008, 06:12 PM
This could go on for ever! If your in the west delta around pittsburg a certain 6pkr would have one believe that a secret formula cured roe is ALL that will work. Then on the other hand one could attend a seminar of a panel of the best commercial opuv's and PB operators on earth and they could all swear by there own baits and methods galore.Almost all in direct contridiction as to where when and how and how long it will take to get bit whilst on their 200 per seat boat.
I find it all very humorous actually.
You put a steel leader or mono leadered or a spectra leadered 1 hook 2 hook treble hook ,roe shrimp worm shad hot dog in front of a hungry fish and bamo, fish on.
25 years of going to seminars buying video's reading posts and stories and this is my accumulated total evaluation.GO FISH ! scotty

keepn_it_reel
01-24-2008, 06:23 PM
yeh some guys use the mesh and some guys prefer not too. I'm just wonderhttp://img177.imageshack.us/img177/9704/tomandcolinwithclosfishfm3.th.jpg (http://img177.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tomandcolinwithclosfishfm3.jpg)ing which way you prefer I usually use ghost shrimp

gomezfish
01-24-2008, 10:42 PM
who uses the uncured roe they sell at baitshops? happy hooker stuff