PDA

View Full Version : What do sturgeon look like on the fish finder?

liketofishalot
01-22-2008, 05:42 AM
I am a noobie and I have no clues as to how to operate my fish finder even after reading the 200 plus pages in the manual. I have been fiddling with the fish finder ever since I got it and so far have learned a little about reading what is being displayed as far as fish arches and structure goes. So for sturgeon's since they hug the bottom, do they show up as arches on the bottom or am I wasting my time trying to find sturgeon's with a fish finder since they aren't suspended like other fish? Any help is greatly appreciated and the unit I am working with is the Lowrance LMS-520C.

dbass
01-22-2008, 07:56 AM
Don't get but I'm no experts, but to me they look like a grass shrimp.

Reel-Lentless
01-22-2008, 08:05 AM
I don't know what kind of fish finder you have but, all sturgeon don't hug the bottom but those are the ones we are looking for as those are the ones feeding, feeding sturgeon appear at about a 45 degree arch on your finder as they feed with there head down rooting around on the bottom. I have duel frequencys on my Furuno and on high freq. they appear as cigars, no archs but on low freq they have the pronounced arch and also on low freq. you have a wider cone and you are seeing more of the bottom. I am sure someone will post a picture of there graph with sturgeon on it. Good luck out there

ibanezax
01-22-2008, 08:38 AM
:)
I was fishing with a friend of mine at the Mothball fleet, and on his Fish Finder they showed up as poles sticking straight up off the bottom!!

ZACK
01-22-2008, 09:12 AM
I am a noobie and I have no clues as to how to operate my fish finder even after reading the 200 plus pages in the manual. *I have been fiddling with the fish finder ever since I got it and so far have learned a little about reading what is being displayed as far as fish arches and structure goes. *So for sturgeon's since they hug the bottom, do they show up as arches on the bottom or am I wasting my time trying to find sturgeon's with a fish finder since they aren't suspended like other fish? *Any help is greatly appreciated and the unit I am working with is the Lowrance LMS-520C.

Your unit will mark em. I have the LCX 111hd but fish with friends that have yours.
First turn your chart speed and ping rate to 100%
Turn off the auto sensitivity and set it around the upper 60's or what ever number gives you a bit of noice like in the pic below.
Turn your surface clarity to high to get rid of all the clutter at the top of your screen.
Cruise with split screen and do not zoom your images even though it gives you the option of 2, and 4x's zoom (that just messes with my perspective IMO).
Leave your colorline at 70%

You will soon start to get an idea of size based on what you see after you have been on the water a bunch. The little stuff will be red, or purple with the bigger fish being thick and hallow full of yellow.

Boat speed will dictate the amound of arch or lengh of fish. If you are cruising real slow they will be long giving you the false impression that the fish is HUGE (I usually scan at around 4, or 5 mph). Size can be guestimated by thickness. They may be suspended high, just above, or right on the bottom. Sometimes when they are on the bottom You can miss them as they apear as thick lumps but your finder will break them up a bit with a slight color variation.

On a greyscale finder you can find fish the same way only your sturgeon will be thinck, hallow with lots of gray inside them. Hope this helps and good luck, ZACK!
http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/4821/finalfishonjk4bi6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

liketofishalot
01-22-2008, 10:40 AM
thanks guys....I'm going to print this out...

donzitroller
01-22-2008, 11:02 PM
Here's one on the bottom..
http://www.fullspeedfishing.com/gallery/data/500/100_1502.jpg

Here's an oversize under the boat, blurry, but you get the idea.
http://www.fullspeedfishing.com/gallery/data/500/SONAR.JPG

fshrmn
01-22-2008, 11:11 PM
Donzi, it looks like you're anchored on the ff. Was that the fish swiming under you then?

onemore_pass
01-23-2008, 07:25 AM
Donzi probably had that big one hooked up and fighting him in. ;D

Seceret_hole
01-23-2008, 12:55 PM
That's a very detailed pic on your graph Donzi, I got to update mine it dont show anything close to yours. What FF is that one that you use?