PDA

View Full Version : Small Boat Fishing!

Globetrouter
01-15-2008, 08:13 PM
I have a quick question. I have a 14' Valco aluminum boat with a 15hp Johnson. I am looking for a reasonably safe ;) spot to Dino fish. Does any one have any suggestions. You cam PM me you do not want the whole board to know.

Once again, Thanks to all!! [smiley=worthy.gif]

FisherBoats
01-15-2008, 08:33 PM
We used to have a 14'5" Aluminum Klamath with a 20hp Honda. We fished at Moth Ball Fleet, San Pablo Bay, SF Bay, and ever Half Moon Bay. So to fish dinos i don't see why the boat wouldn't work in Moth Ball or San Pablo/SF bay. Just my opinion.

gomezfish
01-15-2008, 08:50 PM
try montezuma slough

lawski14
01-15-2008, 08:58 PM
i have a 12footer with a 15merc. i can go most places with it, except i avoid monty on windy days, definitely wont go near chain island with it, and stay away from the p-lines when its windy.

wherever i do go, i like to keep a fillet knife handy in case a log catches onto the anchor line.

oh, and when its foggy, take a compass with you.

[smiley=carla.gif]

FishWisher
01-16-2008, 06:07 AM
Small boats are everywhere on the delta, but it can be a very dangerous place for them. The wind can shift or the currents of the tide can change and it can get very lumpy real fast. Winds and tides often work against one another to make the river very dangerous with up to four footers.

I don't think it's safe to cruise too far off in an open 14 footer unless you're real sure of the weather and the tides.

Dale

fishin_adiction
01-16-2008, 07:24 AM
I agree with fish wisher. I have a 18.5 old school cuddy cab with a deep v nose to cut throught the chop, have been out on san pablo bay, left in the am was like glass, after out there for half the day, it started to get a little breezzy, nothin to worry about, Ha, then the tide swung... I had to slow chug the ride back due to the 3 to 6 ft rollers, i had a real tuff time maintaining a straight line, and a decent speed, too much throttle and i would go air off top, not enough and the wave from behind would come and wash the back and bogg down moter to a slow chug, took me two hours to get back on a 40 min run at full throttle, when we got back to the lauch, two out of three of friends admitted that they started to get sea sick!!

All in all i still go when i think i can brave the weather! In a small boat its about SMART BOATING, pay attention to tides and weather, batt power lights at wallfart are cheap and good idea if not equiped on boat, and even a hand held ship to shore(vhf) radio so can hear weather and call for help if needed.

Good luck, and i would still hit up all the same places that i do even if i had a little allumy

fishrecon
01-16-2008, 09:00 AM
Before you go out, check weather.com. They have a fairly reliable hourly wind forecast. Then, check the tides and make sure the tides you want to fish don't go against the wind direction. For example, let's say you want to fish the outgo at the Mothball fleet (Which means the tide is going west.) All you have to do is make sure the wind is traveling in the same direction. If it's going to the east, then I would stay inside the sloughs (Monty or Suisun.)

Globetrouter
01-16-2008, 12:46 PM
Thanks everyone! Now one last question. I live in Castro Valley (east bay). How do I get to Monty or Suisun? More importantly the boat ramps. I have GPS and fish finder (not a fish catcher ;D) so I can always find my way back at new locations. Any help is once again REALLY appreciated.

Big_Easy
01-16-2008, 01:00 PM
MapQuest! ;) I have a 12 footer and all advice noted above is valid! Keep your life vest on when motoring and VHF close at hand and a knife for whatever arise. Good luck and be safe! Try Brannan Island launch!You will have access to The Sacramento and Rio Vista!

fishin_adiction
01-17-2008, 08:00 AM
if you want to fish those i suggest either benencia or pittsburg, i go to pitsburg, the launch is free, a really good bait store right next to it call dockside i believe, if you launch from there, you are at a good midpoint i feel, if you go left twards the pge and pass thats twards the mothballfleet, if head that way can hit the suisun and monty, if go out and to right, can head up sac riv twards rio and all that, plus the other side of the monty kicks out right around in there too. it all depends on how far you can go in a tank of gas, if not very far, i suggest benencia to get to the mothball area, plus there is a thread in here about some good places as well. good luck!

cordovapastor
01-17-2008, 08:39 AM
I agree with all those who emphasized safety first! *When I fist started fishing the Delta and before I knew much (not that I know a lot now) I had a friend let me use his 14' with a 9.9 on it. *Let me tell you it's a loooooooong way to any ramp when the wind comes up and the rain starts to fall. *Be safe and live to fish again (the Lord willing). *:D

All the suggestions are good as far as areas. *These Sniffers know the Delta well, and I would think it is very possible to launch and fish in that area without having to motor too far. *Check the wind and tide on the computer first if you can. *

Blessings

dimpala95
01-17-2008, 12:57 PM
You can launch out of Suisun city and you're right on Suisun Slough. a short ride down the slough and you can get into monte, big cut, little cut or the fleet. There is also a launch ramp at the Grissly Island bridge. Launching out of Martinez will get you close to Ozol and the fleet. Same with the Benicia launch ramp. I would not recommend launching out of Pittsburg because as soon as you leave the breakwater, you're right in some big open water. Granted Broad slough is just upriver and the PG&E plant is just down river but as has been said, the wind can and usually will be a factor especially in the afternoon.

angler
01-17-2008, 04:27 PM
you can target sturgeon in the napa river also....just launch out of vallejo

Schu
01-18-2008, 05:35 AM
keep a knife handy as in your pocket handy in case you need to cut the anchor line. In a small boat if the anchor fouls you may have cut it to avoid taking on water.

fishin_adiction
01-18-2008, 09:07 AM
one thing that may ease your pain on the anchor rope thing is to put a piece of stretch material, ie surgical tubing or somethin in that nature, i have a small one for a jet ski and works great for the boat, it allows the boat to stay on top of the water better in waves, without pullin anchor out

STURGEONSTOMPER
01-18-2008, 11:42 PM
Thanks everyone! Now one last question. I live in Castro Valley (east bay). How do I get to Monty or Suisun? More importantly the boat ramps. I have GPS and fish finder (not a fish catcher ;D) so I can always find my way back at new locations. Any help is once again REALLY appreciated.

;)Get a map, it will be your best bet ;)

Danksta408
01-18-2008, 11:44 PM
I have a 11ft tri-hull with only a 36# Minn Kota tolling motor and I always take it out to the delta with no problems..........Well except that it takes a while to get place to place..........But it beats being landlocked

GCinGV
01-21-2008, 07:21 AM
Things can change quickly and it’s the time it takes to get back to the ramp that can get you in to trouble. Also what is “reasonably safe” is a pretty subjective question. Personally until you get a feel for yourself, for what your boat is capable of and what you think is safe I’d find a place that’s no more about ten minutes from the ramp.
Several good places mentioned, at the Benicia city ramp there’s a nice flat you can fish right off the ramp just a couple hundred yards. Another good spot in the Sac just outside the mouth of Three Mile Slough from Brannon Island and another at buoy 12 just outside the mouth of Sherman Lake down below as well.
My .02.
GC

Globetrouter
01-21-2008, 11:57 AM
Thanks to everyone! I took a lot of notes! I did manage to try on Friday on my buddy grandfathers boat for no luck. We were at the Oakland airport. Buddy went back on Saturday and nailed a 57" fat boy! :o. Thanks again to all who helped. You guys are a truly AWESOME resource! [smiley=worthy.gif]

fshrmn
01-21-2008, 03:34 PM
Thanks to everyone! I took a lot of notes! I did manage to try on Friday on my buddy grandfathers boat for no luck. We were at the Oakland airport. Buddy went back on Saturday and nailed a 57" fat boy! . Thanks again to all who helped. You guys are a truly AWESOME resource!

Globetrouter, where did you launch to fish OA. San leandro? How long of a ride is that in your 14fter? Where exactly is OA?

Thanks and Happy Fishing!

Globetrouter
01-21-2008, 04:02 PM
Sorry for any confusion. I was in my buddys grandpa's 18' boat. NOT my 14' Valco. All though it was nice enough to take it out that day. As for where I launched? We launched from SL marina. As for where...well I guess you could say we were at the end of the runway where the planes take off, about a mile off shore of the Airport. I hope it helps. Oh my buddy nailed the fish on Grass/Ghost combo on his back up pole and reel with only about 50yrds of 30lb mono on it. They had to pull the pick and go for a ride to say the least! ;D