PDA

View Full Version : Big Lamprey??? Where'd it go???

BIG_ONE
01-14-2008, 05:59 PM
Hey i haven't seen these big black lamprey, not these grayish skinny ones i meant these big giant black lamprey that has a lot of blood and very strong smell to it, have any one seen those lamprey for sale anywhere??? and how much??? i'd like to get em, they are some killer baits ;) first yr i used em caught 12 of em that year, well more like season for sac river, and 3 of em the first day i use em they're awesome!!! anyways if you know where they sell em now and how much ea please tell me!!! thx. :D

freefishin
01-14-2008, 06:41 PM
I totally agree with you. I haven't had any luck with any of the "new" lamprey eel that I have used. Nothing beats the good stuff that they had all those years ago. Anyone knows where the really good eels are being sold at? Also what brand do the charters use?

hookncook
01-14-2008, 07:19 PM
I beleive those where spawning eels. But i do know that those eels (what ever made them special) are illegal to sell. Thats why they costed $50+ and now eel is $6. flash fishing still has about 4 years worth of the good eel left.

BIG_ONE
01-14-2008, 08:49 PM
spawning eels??? i dunno about that...but they look just like those gray skinny lamprey, just that they are big and fat and black and round lol and what made em so special??? they have A LOT of blood and you can re-use em over and over again last longer than the gray skinny lamprey, and one piece of bait you can use for the whole day with out changing, plus god they catch A LOT of sturgeon for some reason...thats all i gotta say about em i would never change any bait for em... ;D

striper_assasin
01-15-2008, 12:30 PM
i dont care for that other type of eel they sell either.
broadway bait and tackle has the real lamprey eels.but they want 50 bucks plus tax for one.and they look freezer burned.

STURGEONSTOMPER
01-15-2008, 12:58 PM
Mmmmm, yumm. Freezer burnt black pregnant eel...Gotta love it :-/

Luke
01-15-2008, 05:28 PM
The difference in the happy hooker eel (the small ones) and the big ones that are hard to get now is this. The small ones are gotten in the ocean before the head into the rivers, and the big lampreys are harvested after they get in the river system. To be honest I will say that I have caught alot of fish on the small lampreys.
Luke

BIG_ONE
01-15-2008, 06:22 PM
50 dollars...hmm could it be?! :o haha ooo and you know whats weird about em??? those bait you can leave it in the sun and it is dry as ever...like smoked lol and you hook it up and cast it out you still catch fish! lol :D

gomezfish
01-15-2008, 07:45 PM
how do u guys hook um? i tie um on the line , i figure there aint gonna be any hook setting with that leathery sh*t on the hook

BIG_ONE
01-15-2008, 07:50 PM
Hahaha, first you cut it in half....cut it in half again...make sure its long enough to fit the hook...then u grab a piece...hook it like its a worm and make sure the barb of the hook sticks out...trust me it'll hook ;)

kromebrite
01-15-2008, 08:13 PM
Mmmmm, yumm. Freezer burnt black pregnant eel...Gotta love it :-/

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/8903/funa8tm.gif

Hog
01-16-2008, 08:43 AM
Mmmmm, yumm. Freezer burnt black pregnant eel...Gotta love it
Good stuff SS, you forgot sun-dried and cut into a worm ;)

Hookncook is right, the big ones are caught as they are making their spawning run back into fresh water. What makes them so much better as bait is the amount of oil in the flesh. As a kid we caught them for food, you put a bunch in the smoke house and they will fill the bottom with an unbelievable amount of oil.

BIG_ONE
01-16-2008, 06:16 PM
Yep...still some killer baits... ;D i wish they still sell like a lot of them and 12 bucks ea...man....lol still they r some killer baits ;)

Luke
01-16-2008, 06:52 PM
how do u guys hook um? i tie um on the line , i figure there aint gonna be any hook setting with that leathery sh*t on the hook
I use peices about 1 inch long filleted in half. Hook it about 3/8ths of an inch from one end and let it dangle so it does not spin or plane off the bottom.

comrad
01-17-2008, 01:56 AM
broadway bait and tackle sales them for 50$.
they told me the smaller eels are from oregon and the big black ones are from california

fysshurmun
01-17-2008, 01:55 PM
Hm ... I wish I can sell them. But I don't have a commercial license for that. In the south bay, when they clean up the creeks, you can see quite a few of them in the mud.

chiselchest
01-17-2008, 10:46 PM
I think that they recently changed the harvesting regs for them in OR & WA. I know they now can't take them in fresh water, even when they are stacked up at the small dams, even if they are dead or dying.

I think the new Wildlife regs require that they now be caught in the ocean. I just caught a sturgeon on an eel that had been frozen/defrosted at least a half dozen times. They excrete that oil so well.

That's what I heard, on a forum by a person that used to capture & sell them...FWIW.

*Deltadog*
01-18-2008, 07:53 AM
The difference in the happy hooker eel (the small ones) and the big ones that are hard to get now is this. The small ones are gotten in the ocean before the head into the rivers, and the big lampreys are harvested after they get in the river system. To be honest I will say that I have caught alot of fish on the small lampreys.
Luke
Yeah, I caught three last year on it....I dont see a problem with it...
Dog

BIG_ONE
01-19-2008, 10:42 PM
Hmm...i also heard you can catch these big black giant lamprey, any idea where you catch them??? i heard they run through the american river...but what month during the year??? and how do you catch em??? :-/

*Deltadog*
01-21-2008, 07:55 AM
Hmm...i also heard you can catch these big black giant lamprey, any idea where you catch them??? i heard they run through the american river...but what month during the year??? and how do you catch em??? *:-/
Find the dried up tributaries, find the standing pools of water in gravely areas left over from the winter run-off (around june). Take a shovel and scrape back the gravel in these standing pools. The lampreys will be down about 6 inches. Old school trick of my Dad's...
Dog