PDA

View Full Version : Surf Rods???

BIG_ONE
01-13-2008, 11:11 PM
Hey i have a question about surf rods for sturgeon, have you seen those orange and black surf rods about 12-14ft that is like 3 pieces??? If you have let me know and where to get them, i would really love to get one of those surf rods, they say its light, and you can cast out farther thx ;)

FishingTone
01-13-2008, 11:35 PM
I think you're talking about KENCORE rod! You can get them in San Jose at Fishery Supply 408-293-6593.

BIG_ONE
01-13-2008, 11:51 PM
Is there any for sale in sacramento???

LastBassActionHero
01-14-2008, 02:04 PM
look it up on the kencor site and they should give you a list of retailers that actually hold stock of there rod..I know that fishery supply has a new shipment of 12' kencors and that they don't hold the 3 peice 13 footers anymore. Hopefully this helps

BIG_ONE
01-14-2008, 06:40 PM
well im looking for more like a 14 footer, i visited their site they have 14 and 15 footer, but if i can't find those i want a 13 footer at least, because what i heard is that these rod are soft, so best to stick with large ones. delta bait shop by freeport use to stock em, but now new owner i haven't seen one lately. :'( btw i got a long way before i can afford one...im only a little kid compare to your guys age hehe ;)

fysshurmun
01-15-2008, 01:28 AM
Way back, when those orange ones were made in the USA, they were top of the line, backed up with lifetime warranty. Today, they are outsourced to various shops in China and the quality's gone way down. You'd think that since labor is cheaper in China, they would spend more time on each rod, but that's not the case. Workers in these shops don't have hourly wages. They're paid by the number of items they can produced. So, to feed their families, they have to work faster and produce more. Look at the pre-tied rigs next time you go to the tackle shops. Count the number of wraps in the knots and you'll understand what I mean.

I'm not against outsourcing in general. I'm just concerned about the qualities of the end products, and of course, the prices and the ratio between the two.

LastBassActionHero
01-15-2008, 05:26 PM
yea, i got a 13'3" japanese surf rod from fishery supply in san jose, and I feel it out performs my dads 13' kencor but its just a tad heavy but at least i know the quality is from japan.

fysshurmun
01-17-2008, 10:52 AM
LBA Hero,

Is the Saltiga what you have? I have the 3pc myself. When they first came out, they were made in Japan. But then shortly after, they made them in Thailand. There's a new version, though, the 2pc one. They're are made in China, but appear to be of decent quality. I think, the new version is better for spinning reels, since the last guide ring is a lot larger, resulting in less line slapping against the rod when line pays out at high speed.

I personally like the 3pc better as it fits nicely inside a small car.