PDA

View Full Version : Silly question

fysshurmun
01-15-2008, 01:20 AM
I'm sure this question must've been asked before. But I can't seem to find a good answer, so, here it goes again.

Is it legal to gently massage the tummy of a legal size sturgeon for eggs?

Let say, I catch a 62in full of eggs. I'm not interested in the meat. So, I first tag it, record it on my card, then lay it on a nice, soft surface and gently massage from the tail towards the head, taking great care not to apply great force. Then release the fish within less than, say, 15 minutes.

Is this legal?

I've seen sturgeons excreting eggs upon landing on shore, probably due to muscle contraction during the fight. So, I don't think, a gentle massage would do any damage to the fish.

Oh, well. Might as well take the fish home and give the meat to the neighbors.

gomezfish
01-15-2008, 07:51 PM
you gonna give the fish a "happy ending?" ;D

metalmouth
01-15-2008, 07:55 PM
The eggs would be more productive if the female Sturgy was allowed to spawn naturally. ;) If it's a legal take fish and the eggs are loose you could harvest them that way without harming the fish. Loose eggs probably aren't the best to eat however. ::)

dbass
01-16-2008, 07:37 AM
Before you eat those eggs, think about all the little dino's 8-), that would of been :-/ :'( Karma my friend 8-)

Reel-Lentless
01-16-2008, 08:11 AM
I have no kind words!

SturgeonVirgin
01-16-2008, 08:17 AM
I don't know for sure, but I cannot help but think it is illegal.

hookumhi
01-16-2008, 08:26 AM
[quote author=fysshurmun link=1200388840/0#0 date=1200388840]I'm sure this question must've been asked before. *But I can't seem to find a good answer, so, here it goes again.

Is it legal to gently massage the tummy of a legal size sturgeon for eggs?

Is this legal?

You gotta get a woman! Thats Fish MOlestin!

DinoBlaster
01-16-2008, 09:36 AM
you can rub my belly its free ;)

dimpala95
01-16-2008, 10:10 AM
Gently rubbing it's belly may not adversly affect the fish but leaving it out of the water for 15 minutes sure will.

707fisherman
01-16-2008, 12:14 PM
if you want eggs go to the store and buy them

fysshurmun
01-16-2008, 03:46 PM
Thanks for all of the replies. It's more a theoretical question than one that I need an answer for, to be able to do things legally. I can simply, like I mentioned previously, "take the fish home and give the meat to the neighbors." Don't tell me that none of you who had replied to my original post never kept a sturgeon before.

A lot of you sit on high horses and tell others what they should or should not do. I don't know if you actually practice what you preach or it's simply a case of jealousy. As for myself, I do what's legal. But I don't disparage others simply because they don't do what I think they should.

If you want to really protect fish stock like your posts seem to suggest, you can go out and patrol all of the waters where fish can be found, then when you see what you think are illegal activities, go ahead and make citizen arrests. I'm sure you won't have a problem with law enforcement. Or will you?

I take the freeway to go to work everyday. And during my commute, as soon as the clock hits 9:00AM, I change to the carpool lane. And at least 3 times a week, people honk at me. Those of you who are self anoited speed cop type can keep honking. I ain't gonna stop using the HOV lane when the law allows me to.

NorCal_Bangers
01-16-2008, 06:10 PM
Thanks for all of the replies. *It's more a theoretical question than one that I need an answer for, to be able to do things legally. *I can simply, like I mentioned previously, "take the fish home and give the meat to the neighbors." *Don't tell me that none of you who had replied to my original post never kept a sturgeon before.

A lot of you sit on high horses and tell others what they should or should not do. *I don't know if you actually practice what you preach or it's simply a case of jealousy. *As for myself, I do what's legal. *But I don't disparage others simply because they don't do what I think they should. *

If you want to really protect fish stock like your posts seem to suggest, you can go out and patrol all of the waters where fish can be found, then when you see what you think are illegal activities, go ahead and make citizen arrests. *I'm sure you won't have a problem with law enforcement. *Or will you?

I take the freeway to go to work everyday. *And during my commute, as soon as the clock hits 9:00AM, I change to the carpool lane. *And at least 3 times a week, people honk at me. *Those of you who are self anoited speed cop type can keep honking. *I ain't gonna stop using the HOV lane when the law allows me to.

I AM IN TOTAL AGREEMENT!!!!!!!!!!

the origional question wasnt about ethics, moral decision making, or what some of you thought was an open invitation to give your OPINION on what is right or wrong.....

it was a question of a LEGAL aspect....

some of you awnsered true to form.....a straight awnser on what you thought was LEGAL.....

most of you took a shot at him!!!!!!

this is what drives someone like ME a WELL KNOWN and WELL RESPECTED ANGLER away from posting and sharing....as some of you know i very rarely post about a catch and release day (being that is ALL i do anymore) and the few posts i do make now a days is usually related to topics of GEAR, LINES, WEIGHTS, FISH BEHIVORS and the like....

the last post said......if you ask a question about what people THINK dont be suprised when they TELL YOU......

pull your head out people....it wasnt a QUESTION about you think..READ the QUESTION....sit back and think.....LEGAL or NOT!!!!!!!! tell the person what you know about the subject and leave the opinions for BOATSIDE discussion....give yourself and your buddy something to talk about out there, but dont bring the bashing on the board.

NCB

PS.....like was mentioned, if it was caught by legal methods i would think it is LEGAL to do, where the law may say different is if a game warden saw you do that (keep the fish out of the water) for an extended period of time, that would be considered RETENTION i am sure that (not positive) somewhere somehow they could get you on some ANIMAL CRUELTY charge, or someother loophole. if they could prove you only wanted to harvest the eggs. dont know but i think it would be LEGAL but with some type of ramification included.

fishrecon
01-16-2008, 06:23 PM
I take the freeway to go to work everyday. *And during my commute, as soon as the clock hits 9:00AM, I change to the carpool lane. *And at least 3 times a week, people honk at me.

Maybe they're not honking because you're in the carpool lane. *Maybe its because your bumpersticker says:

"Honk if you're a sturgeon molestor!"

calamari
01-16-2008, 06:24 PM
"Is it legal to massage a sturgeons belly and release it if the sturgeon was of a size that's legal to keep?"

If you don't want opinions from people and only want a simple answer, just ask a simple question. When you elaborate and give details that become more conversation than question, don't be surprised if people answer in a conversational way and address everything in the post.

NorCal_Bangers
01-16-2008, 06:55 PM
*"Is it legal to massage a sturgeons belly and release it if the sturgeon was of a size that's legal to keep?"
*If you don't want opinions from people and only want a simple answer, just ask a simple question. When you elaborate and give details that become more conversation than question, don't be surprised if people answer in a conversational way and address everything in the post.

you quoted that.....and you cant see the SIMPLICITY in the question...IT IS STRAIGHT FORWARD....no wiggle room.....

IS IT OR IS IT NOT LEGAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

see the problem is people want any excuse to be childish...they only LOOK, SOUND , or in this situation READ like a kid....peoples posts read like something you might see in a HIGH SCHOOL locker room trying to be funny impressing someone with there REAL LACK OF ANYTHING improtant to say.

it reminds me of something i used to say to someone when i wanted to get a laugh at there expense in a group setting...only trying to make myself seem to be the center of attention when if there was even one adult amoung us, they would have seen right through it and found that I am the one who is the IDOT......

NCB
NCB

Hog
01-16-2008, 07:16 PM
Just my opinion, but if a warden sees you milking eggs out of a sturgeon, or worse, catches you with a bucket of sturgeon eggs and no sturgeon your going to get busted for something.

metalmouth
01-16-2008, 07:22 PM
It might be best to ask this question to the F&G. They can give you the one legal opinon that counts.