PDA

View Full Version : Clarksburg boat launch Sunday 01-13

GN.
01-14-2008, 04:36 PM
I know it's a day late but here it is anyway. Since we had never tried it before we decided to give it shot. We got there at about 5:30 and already had plenty of company. luckily all good folks. We used ghost shrimp and pile worms. Unfortunately the sturgeon weren't in the biting mood. We got one sturgeon pump but nothing there when my brother tried to set the hook. Someone down the bank a ways caught an oversize but I didn't get to see it. We fished till about 2pm. The day was still enjoyable even without catching one.

GN

like-a-sturgeon
01-14-2008, 08:22 PM
hey GN, is the clarksburg boat launch, the one on the San Joaquin side?
the one that is close at night? I was looking for a closer place to launch. Hood is where I want to fish but i been launching my boat neat the Freeport bridge..If anyone can help?
thanks

fishing4food
01-15-2008, 04:35 PM
that launch i dont think ever closes, but plan on getting wet to launch and load ur boat there, cause the angle of the launch isnt that steep. its a free launch with no caretaker, so lots of crap like tree branches everywhere and of course lots of bank fishermans there. not many more places they can go to nowadays in tha area. good luck

GN.
01-15-2008, 05:18 PM
The boat launch I'm referring to is on the west side of the Sacramento River about 4-5 miles from the Freeport bridge. It had signs that say it's closed at night but there weren't and gates. There was probably 10-12 people already there a 5:30 when we got there. From the size of their campfired the'd been there a while. Of course there were signs that said no fires too and they ignored them. I agree about the launch. I saw a handful of boats launch out of there and I actually launched my boat out of there once. Most of the shoreline is rocky so beaching to pick up a passenger isn't an option. You're going to get wet. Good luck

GN

Yaker
01-15-2008, 07:42 PM
The boat launch I'm referring to is on the west side of the Sacramento River about 4-5 miles from the Freeport bridge. It had signs that say it's closed at night but there weren't and gates. There was probably 10-12 people already there a 5:30 when we got there. From the size of their campfired the'd been there a while. Of course there were signs that said no fires too and they ignored them. I agree about the launch. I saw a handful of boats launch out of there and I actually launched my boat out of there once. Most of the shoreline is rocky so beaching to pick up a passenger isn't an option. You're going to get wet. Good luck

GN
It can be kind of a lawless place. Most of the bank fishers have no licenses, lots of trash, illegal fires, etc. I wouldn't suggest being there after dark.

rtandersen
01-15-2008, 07:52 PM
Would that be merritts landing.

GN.
01-15-2008, 09:33 PM
I would have to agree about it being a somewhat lawless place. I think the three of us were the only ones I saw wearing licences. One guy who left shortly after we got there thought we were breaking the law by having two poles each but when I asked him if he had his sturgeon report card he didn't have a clue about it. The people fishing by us were friendly people but I'm sure that's not always the case. I don't plan on fishing there again. It's not really my kind of place. If they hadn't closed most of the west bank side of the river it wouldn't concentrate the people so much. With everyone in one spot it sure does get trashed.

I'm pretty sure it's also called Merritt's Landing.

WesternStrip
01-16-2008, 12:02 AM
I would have to agree about it being a somewhat lawless place. I think the tree of us were the only ones I saw wearing licences. One guy who left shortly after we got there thought we were breaking the law by having two poles each but when I asked him if he had his sturgeon report card he didn't have a clue about it. The people fishing by us were friendly people but I'm sure that's not always the case. I don't plan on fishing there again. It's not really my kind of place. If they hadn't closed most of the west bank side of the river it wouldn't concentrate the people so much. With everyone in one spot it sure does get trashed.

I'm pretty sure it's also called Merritt's Landing.

I have fish on the bank all the time w/o any problem. All people I seen have there license, but the problem that the bank fisher have are boater that will come so close to you that it seem like they want to snag your line, and sometime diong a zigzag just to scare the fish. etc. its crazy out there... *;D

GN.
01-16-2008, 09:28 AM
Westernstrip.
All I can say is what I saw on this one trip to that one place. The section of bank I was fishing had about 11 fishermen on it...three with licences visable. I pay attention to things like that. It doesn't make them bad people. They may have had there licences in their pocket or something, but that still gets you a ticket if the law shows up. I really enjoyed the company of the guys fishing next to me, but they had no licences showing either way. It's not my kind of place mainly because it was very crowded. I grew up bank fishing but not in crowded area for the most part. There's nothing wrong with fishing anywhere that it's legal, but I'm entitled to my opinion just as you are. With one guy not having a report card, many with no visable licence and illegal camp fires it's not the most law abiding place there is.

I know there are some inconsiderate boaters out there. I've seen what you're talking about. Most boaters started out as bank fishermen like I did and wouldn't do that but there are some out there who would. I'm sure there are also boat fishemen who didn't start out a bankies who are just more thoughtful than to do a thing like that. I always give bank fishermen plenty of room when I'm in my boat. There's plenty of water out there and it's hard enough just to find a good bank spot.

This is all just my opinion. Take it for what it's worth.

Now go catch on and post up the pics. Good luck out there.