PDA

View Full Version : sturgeon from the bank

FRIDAY
11-04-2004, 08:18 PM
Hey everyone

I'd like to try some sturgeon fishing from the bank sometime this weekend. But I don't know any good spots. Anybody have any suggestions on were to go and what kind of rig to use? I'm new to sturgeon fishing so any and all info is greatly appreciated.

Thanx
FRIDAY

MB_Kevin
11-05-2004, 12:23 AM
I dont know much but if i was going i would try the dumbarton peir. rigging is on other posts on this board. I guess it depends on where you live.
good luck

Fishtale
11-05-2004, 07:42 AM
I would try Montezuma....setup and directions are on earlier posts. Good luck!!!!

Mr.Pescador
11-05-2004, 08:01 PM
Fishing from the Dumbarton pier sucks.If you don't get the spot on the very end you're wasting your time.You have to reach the channel.Check out the thread titled "shore bound".It's got directions to Montezuma,that's where I'm going tomorrow.Maybe I'll see you there.

FRIDAY
11-05-2004, 08:26 PM
Hey Mr. P.
What time will you be out there? I'll try to make it out there as well. I'll be the guy with a camoflouge hat and a beer. Do you have more detailed directions just in case I get lost ( I'm good at that).

thanx
FRIDAY

FRIDAY
11-05-2004, 08:48 PM
Oh Yeah, I'm leaving from sacramento.

FRIDAY

dogfish30
11-06-2004, 05:26 AM
I grew up fishing Montezuma and landed lots of sturgeon out there. Go over the big bridge and the road goes to the left. Go about a half a mile and you'll see a small pier. This is called the red barn. There used to be one there. If you can get a spot on the pier it's the best spot. About a hundred yards farther up the road you'll see where the road turns to the right and what looks like a great spot. DON'T FISH THERE! SNAGS! SNAGS! AND MORE SNAGS! Good luck. DF30 ;)

Mr.Pescador
11-06-2004, 05:41 PM
Sorry Friday, didn't see your post in time.You didn't miss a thing. Fished from 6:30 to 2:00.Not a single bite.There were 4 -6 poles out the whole time.Used ghost,grass,roe,eel,mudsuckers and bullheads.A lot of people on the bank too.Not even a baby striper.Heard there were 2 sturgeon caught yesterday though. Just my luck."should have been here yesterday".Oh well,back at 'em next week.

FRIDAY
11-07-2004, 08:03 AM
Same here, fished from around 11:00am to 6:00pm and only caught a couple stripers shy of 18 inches. Oh well, had fun and the scenery was nice. One guy in a boat had two nice size dinos but wouldn't say where he caught them. Better luck next time.

FRIDAY

BIG_ONE
01-12-2008, 05:24 AM
Come to talk about sturgeon fishing from the bank, and looking for spots??? i know some spots, montezuma works well, but my favorite spot is by clarksburg, once the action is really HOT there you can catch a fish a day...sometimes 3 a day. gotta come early like 3-5 am though, clarksburg is a crazy place for sturgeon fishing, hope this helps ;)

overthehill
01-13-2008, 12:23 PM
Yeah the Dumbarton sucks. Went there Sat. and people that were fishing at the end were casting infront of the lower level of the pier the tide was coming in and you could tell that they were using undersize weights for fishing bounce, bounce, and out of the action zone. Couple of small sharks and a garbage fish. If I go there again it's back to using my surfpole.

gomezfish
01-15-2008, 07:56 PM
fished on the bank next to the pier today(montezuma/redbarn) dudes on the pier caught a 30 something incher and a shaker , left around 4 and drove over to birds landing , scouted the area and found that dayuse area , threw out a ghost shrimp and about 30 minutes later hooked into something bg for about 10 seconds..almost had my first sturgeon...i think ::)

anyone ever fish this spot>?